|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the owner of a local cantina who is riding with Wooston?
2. Who is described as a smuggler and swindler?
3. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
4. What are the local Indians known as?
5. How does Sean feel towards Juan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Mulkerin's discussion about gold after Sean arrives home.
2. Who is Zeke Wooston?
3. How does Jaime Mulkerin come to own the ranch, and where is Jaime now?
4. How does Eileen end up moving to Malibu?
5. Describe the Mulkerin ranch house.
6. Why is the Mulkerin family's hope in Sean Mulkerin?
7. What does Juan say to Sean, Montero, Eileen and Mariana when they arrive at his home?
8. Describe a couple of the men who are with Wooston when he comes to tell Eileen of Wooston's intentions to evict the Mulkerin family.
9. How is Mariana received at the Mulkerin home?
10. What can be seen from the Mulkerin front porch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "The Californios", questions that most readers may want to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the L'Amour's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss L'Amours' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of L'Amour and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in "The Californios". Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example, some like the fear brought by spook houses at Halloween, terror movies or by reading mystery/suspense novels. Why?
3. Is anything a character is afraid of within his/her control to change? What? Why do you think the character has not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "The Californios"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Californios" and include why you believe it is an example of foreshadowing. Include specific examples from the book.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Californios" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)