|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as a smuggler and swindler?
2. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
3. How does Sean feel towards Juan?
4. What unusual gift did Jaime have that Eileen admired?
5. Who alerts Eileen that Sean has arrived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Mulkerin ranch house.
2. Why does Juan not think there is a reason to share much about his people and their history?
3. What can be seen from the Mulkerin front porch?
4. Describe the Mulkerin's discussion about gold after Sean arrives home.
5. How does Sean come to be a sailor?
6. Describe a couple of the men who are with Wooston when he comes to tell Eileen of Wooston's intentions to evict the Mulkerin family.
7. What does Silva believe about the area and how do most of the others react to his beliefs?
8. What does Juan say about men following them and what is Sean's response?
9. Where do Eileen and Juan go and what do they talk about as they travel?
10. What does Juan tell Eileen about his people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "The Californios" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "The Californios" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes "The Californios" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Sean Mulkerin What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Eileen. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Zeke Wooston. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Californios".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this book. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Californios". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)