|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Juan say it is important for the party to remember the route?
2. Who does Machado say he will take pleasure in killing?
3. Where is Eileen's father killed?
4. What does the party searching for Juan lead?
5. How many men does Juan say is following them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Juan tell Eileen about his people?
2. Why do Juan and the others leave camp in the middle of the night?
3. What does Juan say to Sean, Montero, Eileen and Mariana when they arrive at his home?
4. What does Juan say about men following them and what is Sean's response?
5. Why is the Mulkerin family's hope in Sean Mulkerin?
6. What is the situation at the Mulkerin ranch, and what does Eileen think needs to be done about it?
7. Who is Juan?
8. Where is Eileen raised and how does she come to be in California?
9. Where do Sean, Monero, Eileen and Mariana go and why does Michael stay behind?
10. What can be seen from the Mulkerin front porch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "The Californios"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Californios" and include why you believe it is an example of foreshadowing. Include specific examples from the book.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Californios" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "The Californios" is successful as a western novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Louis L'Amour's western novels? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"The Californios" belongs to the western novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fictional memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think are the differences between western fiction and a southern fiction?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)