|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Eileen's family leave their homeland?
2. From whom is Maria fleeing?
3. What type of house does the Mulkerin family have?
4. Where does Eileen first move when she leaves her homeland?
5. Who is Micheltorena?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Mulkerin family's hope in Sean Mulkerin?
2. Why does Juan say he must go with the group, and why must they learn the route?
3. What can be seen from the Mulkerin front porch?
4. How does Sean come to be a sailor?
5. Describe the Mulkerin's discussion about gold after Sean arrives home.
6. Describe the Mulkerin ranch house.
7. Why does Juan not think there is a reason to share much about his people and their history?
8. How is Mariana received at the Mulkerin home?
9. How does Eileen's family end up in Spain and then how does Eileen end up in Mexico?
10. How does Jaime Mulkerin come to own the ranch, and where is Jaime now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "The Californios", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (xposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement.) Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements of "The Californios". (They may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "The Californios" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Answer one of the following in an essay:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Californios". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think L'Amour chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Californios". Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think L'Amour chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss L'Amour's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does L'Amour use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)