|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual gift did Jaime have that Eileen admired?
2. What is the most likely way the farm will be saved?
3. To whom did Jaime direct Juan to tell a secret?
4. What does Win want to do with Mariana?
5. Where is the Mulkerin house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Juan say he must go with the group, and why must they learn the route?
2. How does Eileen's family end up in Spain and then how does Eileen end up in Mexico?
3. What does Silva believe about the area and how do most of the others react to his beliefs?
4. Who is Zeke Wooston?
5. Who is Juan?
6. How does Sean come to meet Mariana?
7. How does Eileen end up moving to Malibu?
8. How does Sean come to be a sailor?
9. Where is Eileen raised and how does she come to be in California?
10. How does Jaime Mulkerin come to own the ranch, and where is Jaime now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Californios", like many western novels, involves the act of murder. Discuss the following:
1. What is murder? Is the act of murder always clearly murder?
2. Do you think the death of Wooston, who is a known murderer, is at all tragic? Why or why not?
3. Is murder ever justified? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Choose two incidences in "The Californios" and compare/contrast the way Juan's culture and the western, white culture view those incidents.
2. Write an argument/persuasion essay addressing the idea of assimilation versus a group keeping their own culture when they live within a larger culture.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "The Californios"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Californios" and include why you believe it is an example of foreshadowing. Include specific examples from the book.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Californios" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)