|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Juan take the group?
2. What type of house does the Mulkerin family have?
3. How does Sean feel towards Juan?
4. Where does Eileen first move when she leaves her homeland?
5. How do Eileen's family leave their homeland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Juan not think there is a reason to share much about his people and their history?
2. How does Eileen's family end up in Spain and then how does Eileen end up in Mexico?
3. Where do Sean, Monero, Eileen and Mariana go and why does Michael stay behind?
4. What is the situation at the Mulkerin ranch, and what does Eileen think needs to be done about it?
5. Why do Juan and the others leave camp in the middle of the night?
6. Who is Zeke Wooston?
7. Why is the Mulkerin family's hope in Sean Mulkerin?
8. Describe the Mulkerin ranch house.
9. What does Juan tell Eileen about his people?
10. Where is Eileen raised and how does she come to be in California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "The Californios", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (xposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement.) Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements of "The Californios". (They may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in "The Californios". Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example, some like the fear brought by spook houses at Halloween, terror movies or by reading mystery/suspense novels. Why?
3. Is anything a character is afraid of within his/her control to change? What? Why do you think the character has not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Californios".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this book. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Californios". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)