|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
2. What does Juan believe is going to happen?
3. Who used to go into the hills with Jaime?
4. For what are the Mulkerins looking in the hills?
5. By what was Juan's people's settlement destroyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mariana received at the Mulkerin home?
2. How does Eileen end up moving to Malibu?
3. What is the situation at the Mulkerin ranch, and what does Eileen think needs to be done about it?
4. Why does Juan say he must go with the group, and why must they learn the route?
5. How does Sean come to be a sailor?
6. Where do Sean, Monero, Eileen and Mariana go and why does Michael stay behind?
7. What does Juan say about men following them and what is Sean's response?
8. How does Eileen's family end up in Spain and then how does Eileen end up in Mexico?
9. Why is the Mulkerin family's hope in Sean Mulkerin?
10. Describe a couple of the men who are with Wooston when he comes to tell Eileen of Wooston's intentions to evict the Mulkerin family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Choose two incidences in "The Californios" and compare/contrast the way Juan's culture and the western, white culture view those incidents.
2. Write an argument/persuasion essay addressing the idea of assimilation versus a group keeping their own culture when they live within a larger culture.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of how Machado is on somewhat friendly terms with Sean Mulkerin by the end of the book. What other situations contain irony in "The Californios"?
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from "The Californios:. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in "The Californios" and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)