|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Juan?
2. What does Eileen say about Mariana?
3. What does Juan say to Eileen?
4. About whom does Sean worry?
5. Who decides to go looking for Juan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Juan?
2. How does Jaime Mulkerin come to own the ranch, and where is Jaime now?
3. Why does Juan not think there is a reason to share much about his people and their history?
4. Why is the Mulkerin family's hope in Sean Mulkerin?
5. What does Silva believe about the area and how do most of the others react to his beliefs?
6. What does Juan tell Eileen about his people?
7. What does Juan say about men following them and what is Sean's response?
8. Who is Zeke Wooston?
9. What is the situation at the Mulkerin ranch, and what does Eileen think needs to be done about it?
10. Where is Eileen raised and how does she come to be in California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels have an element of fear and suspense. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of fear in "The Californios". Use specific examples to support your ideas. In what ways is fear felt? Who feels fearful? Why?
2. Why do you think many people enjoy getting scared? For example, some like the fear brought by spook houses at Halloween, terror movies or by reading mystery/suspense novels. Why?
3. Is anything a character is afraid of within his/her control to change? What? Why do you think the character has not addressed those issues?
4. Discuss whether or not you enjoy the experience of being scared when you know it is not "real."
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "The Californios" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Californios".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this book. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Californios". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)