Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons does Eileen have?
2. With whom does Eileen live after her father dies?
3. What does Montero say about the idea of finding gold in the hills?
4. What type of house does the Mulkerin family have?
5. Where does Eileen first move when she leaves her homeland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Eileen raised and how does she come to be in California?
2. Describe the Mulkerin's discussion about gold after Sean arrives home.
3. Who are the men that Sean meets who Montero sends to help the Mulkerin family?
4. How do Machado and Sean leave things between them?
5. How does Sean come to meet Mariana?
6. What happens that makes Russell leave the cave?
7. Who is Zeke Wooston?
8. Who is Juan?
9. What does Eileen decide in order to "buy" time?
10. Why does Eileen apologize to Juan?
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "The Californios" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "The Californios" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Californios".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this book. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Californios". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "The Californios" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "The Californios" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written as serious literary fiction versus fiction that is solely written for entertainment? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "The Californios" a successful novel? What about those in academe?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)