|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as a smuggler and swindler?
2. Towards what does Juan lead the party?
3. What type of house does the Mulkerin family have?
4. Who is the owner of a local cantina who is riding with Wooston?
5. What does Sean spot in the dirt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What noises do Wooston's men hear and why do they decide to wait until morning to confront Sean's group?
2. How is Mariana received at the Mulkerin home?
3. What happens when Eileen goes to wake up Juan?
4. Who is Juan?
5. Why do Juan and the others leave camp in the middle of the night?
6. What do Beltran and Velasco decide to do about Sean and Wooston?
7. What occurs when Eileen and Sean stop at a local merchant's store?
8. What do the voices ask Sean when he arrives at the cave, and what does Sean tell the voices?
9. Where do Sean, Monero, Eileen and Mariana go and why does Michael stay behind?
10. Where do Eileen and Juan go and what do they talk about as they travel?
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "The Californios"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Californios" and include why you believe it is an example of foreshadowing. Include specific examples from the book.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Californios" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation of how Machado is on somewhat friendly terms with Sean Mulkerin by the end of the book. What other situations contain irony in "The Californios"?
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from "The Californios:. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in "The Californios" and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 3
Answer one of the following in an essay:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Californios". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think L'Amour chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Californios". Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think L'Amour chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss L'Amour's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does L'Amour use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 2,813 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)