|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jaime find twice?
2. How many men does Juan say is following them?
3. Where is Eileen's father killed?
4. To whom does Juan say he will tell his people's history?
5. What is the source of the Mikerin family's spiritual courage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sean come to meet Mariana?
2. What is the situation at the Mulkerin ranch, and what does Eileen think needs to be done about it?
3. Who is Juan?
4. How does Jaime Mulkerin come to own the ranch, and where is Jaime now?
5. Describe the Mulkerin's discussion about gold after Sean arrives home.
6. How does Sean come to be a sailor?
7. What can be seen from the Mulkerin front porch?
8. Why does Juan not think there is a reason to share much about his people and their history?
9. How does Eileen's family end up in Spain and then how does Eileen end up in Mexico?
10. Why is the Mulkerin family's hope in Sean Mulkerin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "The Californios", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (xposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement.) Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements of "The Californios". (They may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Californios".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this book. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Californios". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "The Californios" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)