Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons does Eileen have?
2. With whom does Eileen live after her father dies?
3. What does Montero say about the idea of finding gold in the hills?
4. What type of house does the Mulkerin family have?
5. Where does Eileen first move when she leaves her homeland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Eileen raised and how does she come to be in California?
2. Describe the Mulkerin's discussion about gold after Sean arrives home.
3. Who are the men that Sean meets who Montero sends to help the Mulkerin family?
4. How do Machado and Sean leave things between them?
5. How does Sean come to meet Mariana?
6. What happens that makes Russell leave the cave?
7. Who is Zeke Wooston?
8. Who is Juan?
9. What does Eileen decide in order to "buy" time?
10. Why does Eileen apologize to Juan?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "The Californios" is successful as a western novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Louis L'Amour's western novels? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"The Californios" belongs to the western novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fictional memoir genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think are the differences between western fiction and a southern fiction?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)