|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mariana supposed to find?
(a) The Sheriff.
(b) Juan's son.
(c) Pio Pico.
2. What shocks the others when Eileen returns to them?
(a) That Juan has gone to stop Machado.
(b) That there is only a few dollars of gold.
(c) That there is so much gold.
(d) That Juan is dead.
3. What is Juan careful to do?
(a) Cover his and Eileen's tracks.
(b) Sing appeasing songs for the spirits.
(c) Rest often.
(d) Mark their trail discreetly.
4. Who does Sean not see?
5. Why is Francisco lagging behind the other man?
(a) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Juan.
(b) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Machado.
(c) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Silva.
(d) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Russell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sean see down in the canyon?
2. What does Machado want to do with the Mulkerin party?
3. How much gold does Juan say there is?
4. What does Eileen come up with for saving the ranch?
5. What does Russell not believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Los Angeles like at the time of the setting of "The Californios"?
2. What do the voices say about Russell?
3. What happens when Eileen goes to wake up Juan?
4. What thoughts run through Eileen's mind while she is thinking about the gold when Juan is resting?
5. What occurs when Eileen and Sean stop at a local merchant's store?
6. What happens to Russell after he leaves the cave?
7. What does Silva tell Wooston that angers Wooston, and what concerns Machado and Russell?
8. How many men does Sean observe who are after them and what is Montero doing?
9. Who arrives at the party unexpectedly and how does he make Sean jealous?
10. Why is Eileen distraught when she and Juan get to the gold?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)