|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Sean about Russell?
2. In whom does Sean have faith to help him with Machado's men?
3. How is Eileen described as looking as she rides?
(a) Like an Irish princess.
(b) Like a person who has never mounted a horse before.
(c) Like a sack of potatoes.
(d) Like a jockey in a race.
4. What is the trail from Los Angeles to Malibu like?
(a) It runs inland several miles.
(b) It runs through desert.
(c) It runs along the water.
(d) It is steep and narrow.
5. Why is Eileen distraught?
(a) Mariana is captured by Marchado's men.
(b) Win is lost in the canyon.
(c) There is only enough gold to pay half of what she owes on the ranch.
(d) Sean is shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom is Russell said to be an enemy?
2. Who does Sean not see?
3. What confirms Eileen's theory about the gold coming from the hills?
4. Who is waiting for Eileen's group when they return to the Mulkerin ranch?
5. Who laughs at Sean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sean waken Mariana while they are on the trail and what does he tell her?
2. What are Russell and Francisco doing in the mountains, and why does Francisco anger Russell?
3. What happens that makes Russell leave the cave?
4. What noises do Wooston's men hear and why do they decide to wait until morning to confront Sean's group?
5. What is Los Angeles like at the time of the setting of "The Californios"?
6. What happens to Russell after he leaves the cave?
7. What thoughts run through Eileen's mind while she is thinking about the gold when Juan is resting?
8. What does Sean say to Wooston and Machado and what are their responses?
9. Why does Francisco try to convince Russell of and what is Russell's response?
10. Why does Eileen apologize to Juan?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)