|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pico know about Eileen?
(a) That she is ill.
(b) That she is lying.
(c) That she is about to marry.
(d) That she is set for life with the amount of gold she found.
2. What confirms Eileen's theory about the gold coming from the hills?
(a) Seeing a note scrawled by Jaime on a rock.
(c) Pick and shovel marks on the stone.
(d) Some small gold nuggets laying around.
3. Why is Francisco lagging behind the other man?
(a) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Juan.
(b) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Russell.
(c) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Machado.
(d) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Silva.
4. What does Juan warn Eileen not to do?
(a) Try to beat Wooston legally.
(b) Wander off.
(c) Try to find the gold alone.
(d) Anger the spirits.
5. What does Francisco talk about as the men are traveling?
(a) The Unknown Ones the the Old One.
(b) Francisco is completely silent.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) How he will spend the gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the merchant at the local store startled?
2. Who does Eileen encounter in the local store?
3. What does Russell find in the cave?
4. What does Machado want to do with the Mulkerin party?
5. Why might the gold not be the answer to Eileen's predicament about the ranch house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Russell and Francisco doing in the mountains, and why does Francisco anger Russell?
2. Why does Eileen apologize to Juan?
3. What does Sean say to Wooston and Machado and what are their responses?
4. Who does Eileen meet at the store, and what is his reaction to her story about the gold?
5. What does Eileen order at the store and why?
6. What happens when Eileen goes to wake up Juan?
7. What noises do Wooston's men hear and why do they decide to wait until morning to confront Sean's group?
8. What occurs when Eileen and Sean stop at a local merchant's store?
9. What is Los Angeles like at the time of the setting of "The Californios"?
10. What does Silva tell Wooston that angers Wooston, and what concerns Machado and Russell?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)