|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
(a) He inherits it from his father.
(b) He marries the woman who owns the land.
(c) As a reward for service in the Mexican army.
(d) He buys it from his brother.
2. What is one thing that has put the farm at risk?
(a) They grew too much of one crop.
(b) The cows had hoof and mouth disease.
(c) Bad luck.
(d) Legal problems.
3. What does the party searching for Juan lead?
(a) A donkey and a wagon.
(b) Two pack horses.
(c) Two donkeys.
(d) Two mules.
4. For what are the Mulkerins looking in the hills?
(c) Natural gas.
5. What is Michael going to do?
(a) Stay at the ranch.
(b) Try to raise some cash from some friends.
(c) Find out more about Wooston.
(d) Hire a lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Eileen's family leave their homeland?
2. Where is Jaime at the opening of the story?
3. What does Sean have in his hands?
4. What does Juan say to Eileen?
5. What is the source of the Mikerin family's spiritual courage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Juan tell Eileen about his people?
2. How is Mariana received at the Mulkerin home?
3. What does Juan say about men following them and what is Sean's response?
4. Why does Juan say he must go with the group, and why must they learn the route?
5. Who is Juan?
6. Where is Eileen raised and how does she come to be in California?
7. Describe the Mulkerin's discussion about gold after Sean arrives home.
8. How does Sean come to meet Mariana?
9. Who is Zeke Wooston?
10. Where do Eileen and Juan go and what do they talk about as they travel?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)