|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Machado say he will take pleasure in killing?
2. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
(a) As a reward for service in the Mexican army.
(b) He marries the woman who owns the land.
(c) He inherits it from his father.
(d) He buys it from his brother.
3. About whom does Sean worry?
(c) The old one.
(d) Eileen and Mariana.
4. Who is Sean?
(a) A man who is coming to the Mulkerin home from Mexico.
(b) Eileen's brother.
(c) Eileen's husband.
(d) Eileen's lawyer.
5. What is said about Juan concerning his people?
(a) His tribe lives somewhere in the hills, though he has no close relatives alive.
(b) That his people live in South America.
(c) He is the last of his people.
(d) He has a large extended family living in the hills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sean spot in the dirt?
2. Who is Micheltorena?
3. What is one thing that has put the farm at risk?
4. When do those searching for Juan make camp?
5. By what was Juan's people's settlement destroyed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sean come to meet Mariana?
2. Why does Juan say he must go with the group, and why must they learn the route?
3. Where do Eileen and Juan go and what do they talk about as they travel?
4. What does Juan say to Sean, Montero, Eileen and Mariana when they arrive at his home?
5. Who is Juan?
6. What does Silva believe about the area and how do most of the others react to his beliefs?
7. What is the situation at the Mulkerin ranch, and what does Eileen think needs to be done about it?
8. How does Sean come to be a sailor?
9. Describe a couple of the men who are with Wooston when he comes to tell Eileen of Wooston's intentions to evict the Mulkerin family.
10. Describe the Mulkerin's discussion about gold after Sean arrives home.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)