|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Win want to do with Mariana?
(a) Send her to family in San Francisco.
(b) Send her back to her uncle.
(c) Send her to stay in town.
(d) Let her live at the ranch.
2. Who is sitting on a bench by his front door?
(a) No one.
3. What does Eileen feel as she suddenly wakens?
(a) That Juan does not remember where Jaime found the gold.
(b) That they should not be there.
(c) That a dangerous animal is nearby.
(d) Someone is coming.
4. What is Michael's occupation?
5. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
(a) As a reward for service in the Mexican army.
(b) He buys it from his brother.
(c) He inherits it from his father.
(d) He marries the woman who owns the land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as a smuggler and swindler?
2. Where is Jaime at the opening of the story?
3. Where does Juan take the group?
4. What unusual gift did Jaime have that Eileen admired?
5. Who is Jaime?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eileen end up moving to Malibu?
2. How is Mariana received at the Mulkerin home?
3. Where do Eileen and Juan go and what do they talk about as they travel?
4. What does Silva believe about the area and how do most of the others react to his beliefs?
5. Why is the Mulkerin family's hope in Sean Mulkerin?
6. How does Sean come to meet Mariana?
7. Describe a couple of the men who are with Wooston when he comes to tell Eileen of Wooston's intentions to evict the Mulkerin family.
8. What can be seen from the Mulkerin front porch?
9. Describe the Mulkerin ranch house.
10. Where is Eileen raised and how does she come to be in California?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)