|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city is described as a pueblo with a few adobes, a church a few stores and cantinas?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) Santa Barbara.
(d) San Diego.
2. What does Eileen do with her coat?
(a) To carry the gold.
(b) Covers Juan.
(c) Uses it to protect her knees as she climbs.
(d) To signal Sean and the others.
3. What does Francisco talk about as the men are traveling?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) Francisco is completely silent.
(c) The Unknown Ones the the Old One.
(d) How he will spend the gold.
4. Why does Wooston want to take Russell away?
(a) Because he has found the gold.
(b) To find out where Silva is.
(c) To find out what happened to Francisco.
(d) To care for Russell until the man dies.
5. Why is Sean worried about Wooston?
(a) Because he may not bow to pressure.
(b) Because he has the backing of the governor.
(c) Because he may get violent.
(d) Because he is insane.
6. Who laughs at Sean?
(b) Sean laughs at himself.
7. Why is Francisco lagging behind the other man?
(a) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Russell.
(b) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Silva.
(c) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Machado.
(d) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Juan.
8. Who does Eileen encounter in the local store?
(d) Pio Pico.
9. Who will not take orders from a woman?
(d) The armed men at the Mulkerin home.
10. What is Juan careful to do?
(a) Rest often.
(b) Mark their trail discreetly.
(c) Sing appeasing songs for the spirits.
(d) Cover his and Eileen's tracks.
11. How much gold does Juan say there is?
(a) Enough to pay for the ranch.
(c) Many pounds.
(d) Not much.
12. What do Sean and Eileen do when they stop at a local store?
(a) Show everyone the gold they have found.
(b) Buy numerous quarts of whiskey for the fandango.
(c) Spread the news of the gold and the fandango.
(d) Talk about what Wooston has done.
13. Why does Eileen apologize to Juan?
(a) For being slow on her feet.
(b) For thinking Jaime was visiting a fake shamen.
(c) For telling Jaime he could not bring Juan to live at the ranch.
(d) For asking him to undertake this journey.
14. Who is waiting for Eileen's group when they return to the Mulkerin ranch?
(a) The sheriff.
(c) The governor.
(d) A group of armed renegades.
15. About what does Eileen hint at to the merchant?
(a) That there is plenty of gold to be had.
(b) That the party will be attended by several important political figures.
(c) That she will better Wooston at his game.
(d) That she plans to take Wooston to court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bell say is obvious?
2. What does Sean say about Mariana when asked by Machado?
3. Who arrives at the party?
4. What does Pico know about Eileen?
5. What does Eileen realize as she is waking Juan?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)