|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bell try to arrest Sean?
(a) For stealing gold from land that does not belong to the Mulkerin family.
(b) For the murder of Russell.
(c) For refusing an eviction order.
(d) For falsifying records.
2. Why might the gold not be the answer to Eileen's predicament about the ranch house?
(a) There is no time to mine the gold.
(b) The gold is not very pure.
(c) The gold is on government land.
(d) The gold may not be on her land.
3. Why does Machado want to wait until the morning to go up against Sean and the others?
(a) Machado thinks there are ghosts that will help Sean's group in the dark.
(b) Machado wants to rest.
(c) Many of the men do not want to move in the dark.
(d) Machado's group is in the open.
4. What does Sean tell Machado?
(a) That Mariana wants to return to Mexico with Machado.
(b) That Sean will fight Machado for Mariana the next day.
(c) That there will be no fighting at the fiesta.
(d) Sean refuses to speak to Machado.
5. What confirms Eileen's theory about the gold coming from the hills?
(b) Seeing a note scrawled by Jaime on a rock.
(c) Pick and shovel marks on the stone.
(d) Some small gold nuggets laying around.
6. What idea does Eileen share with Sean?
(a) About a fandango.
(b) About Jaime and the gold.
(c) About Mariana's fate.
(d) About Juan.
7. Who is the elderly man on the burro the Indian is leading?
(d) No one that anyone knows.
8. What does Machado want to do with the Mulkerin party?
(a) He does not say.
(b) Kill them all.
(c) Make them feel miserable.
(d) Hold them hostage.
9. What does Sean say about Mariana when asked by Machado?
(a) Mariana is back at the ranch.
(b) Mariana is in Los Angeles.
(c) Mariana has made her choice.
(d) Mariana is with Juan.
10. Who covers Eileen and the others' tracks?
(c) No one.
11. Why do Machado's men believe there are more to Sean's group than they thought?
(a) Montero and Mariana make noise.
(b) Montero has his horse make noise.
(c) Montero throws his voice and accent.
(d) Sean fires his gun from several different places.
12. About what does Sean speak to Montero?
(a) Protecting Eileen.
(b) Hiding the gold once they recover it.
(c) Getting the gold to the ranch.
(d) Protecting the land.
13. How does Russell feel as he is leaving the cave?
(c) Dizzy and sick.
14. What does Russell find in the cave?
(a) No gold.
(b) Francisco's body.
(c) A wolf carcass.
(d) Juan's body.
15. Why does Eileen apologize to Juan?
(a) For asking him to undertake this journey.
(b) For thinking Jaime was visiting a fake shamen.
(c) For telling Jaime he could not bring Juan to live at the ranch.
(d) For being slow on her feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sean become jealous?
2. What does Francisco talk about as the men are traveling?
3. What do Tennison and Sean talk about concerning people's hands?
4. What do Sean and Eileen do when they stop at a local store?
5. Who tells Sean that someone wants to speak with Sean?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)