|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why might the gold not be the answer to Eileen's predicament about the ranch house?
(a) The gold is not very pure.
(b) The gold is on government land.
(c) The gold may not be on her land.
(d) There is no time to mine the gold.
2. Why is the merchant at the local store startled?
(a) At the tales of Wooston's treachery.
(b) At the quantity of liquor Sean and Eileen buy.
(c) At the change in fortune of the Mulkerin family.
(d) At the quantity and quality of gold Eileen shows him.
3. Who is Mariana supposed to find?
(b) The Sheriff.
(c) Pio Pico.
(d) Juan's son.
4. Why is Eileen concerned about Juan?
(a) He sits to rest in the cave and does not seem well.
(b) He is blue around the lips.
(c) He is shaking.
(d) He has a bad cough.
5. How is Eileen described as looking as she rides?
(a) Like a person who has never mounted a horse before.
(b) Like a sack of potatoes.
(c) Like an Irish princess.
(d) Like a jockey in a race.
6. What catches Eileen's eye as Juan is sleeping?
(a) Some paintings on the cave wall.
(b) Something that moves on the rim.
(c) A pool of icy spring water.
(d) Some gold nuggets gleaming in the back of the cave.
7. What shocks the others when Eileen returns to them?
(a) That there is only a few dollars of gold.
(b) That there is so much gold.
(c) That Juan is dead.
(d) That Juan has gone to stop Machado.
8. What does Eileen plan to tell the people in the area?
(a) That Machado shot Sean.
(b) That Machado shot Win.
(c) That Juan is dead.
(d) That gold has been discovered.
9. Why is Sean hunting?
(a) For meat for the fandango.
(b) For Juan's body.
(c) For gold.
(d) For Russell.
10. What do Tennison and Sean talk about concerning people's hands?
(a) Hands can reveal much about a person.
(b) Some women's hands are calloused when they should be soft.
(c) Some men's hands are soft and show they have never worked hard.
(d) Some hands have six fingers.
11. What do Sean and Eileen do when they stop at a local store?
(a) Show everyone the gold they have found.
(b) Buy numerous quarts of whiskey for the fandango.
(c) Talk about what Wooston has done.
(d) Spread the news of the gold and the fandango.
12. In whom does Sean have faith to help him with Machado's men?
13. Why does Machado want to wait until the morning to go up against Sean and the others?
(a) Machado's group is in the open.
(b) Machado wants to rest.
(c) Many of the men do not want to move in the dark.
(d) Machado thinks there are ghosts that will help Sean's group in the dark.
14. Who is missing when Russell wakes the next morning?
15. What does Pico know about Eileen?
(a) That she is lying.
(b) That she is ill.
(c) That she is set for life with the amount of gold she found.
(d) That she is about to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks to Machado's men from the darkness?
2. Why is Eileen distraught?
3. Who is with Francisco in the mountains?
4. Why does Sean become jealous?
5. Why does Bell try to arrest Sean?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)