|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Silva tell Wooston?
(a) That the Mulkerin party has disappeared.
(b) That he is quitting working for Wooston.
(c) That the Mulkerin party is in a dead-end canyon.
(d) That the Mulkerin party is back at their ranch.
2. Why might the gold not be the answer to Eileen's predicament about the ranch house?
(a) The gold may not be on her land.
(b) The gold is on government land.
(c) There is no time to mine the gold.
(d) The gold is not very pure.
3. What will help the Mulkerin family obtain another loan?
(a) A good word from the Bishop.
(b) A wealthy co-signer.
(c) Their political connections.
(d) The appearance of wealth.
4. What does Pico know about Eileen?
(a) That she is ill.
(b) That she is about to marry.
(c) That she is lying.
(d) That she is set for life with the amount of gold she found.
5. Why does Sean wake Mariana?
(a) He is lonely.
(b) He hears Machado's people coming.
(c) He wants to tell her a secret.
(d) He wants to get her to safety.
6. What does Francisco talk about as the men are traveling?
(a) How he will spend the gold.
(b) Francisco is completely silent.
(c) The Unknown Ones the the Old One.
(d) His girlfriend.
7. What shocks the others when Eileen returns to them?
(a) That there is only a few dollars of gold.
(b) That there is so much gold.
(c) That Juan has gone to stop Machado.
(d) That Juan is dead.
8. Who does Eileen encounter in the local store?
(d) Pio Pico.
9. Why does Eileen apologize to Juan?
(a) For thinking Jaime was visiting a fake shamen.
(b) For telling Jaime he could not bring Juan to live at the ranch.
(c) For being slow on her feet.
(d) For asking him to undertake this journey.
10. Who covers Eileen and the others' tracks?
(d) No one.
11. Why is Eileen distraught?
(a) Sean is shot.
(b) Win is lost in the canyon.
(c) Mariana is captured by Marchado's men.
(d) There is only enough gold to pay half of what she owes on the ranch.
12. How is Eileen described as looking as she rides?
(a) Like a person who has never mounted a horse before.
(b) Like a jockey in a race.
(c) Like a sack of potatoes.
(d) Like an Irish princess.
13. In whom does Sean have faith to help him with Machado's men?
14. Who will not take orders from a woman?
(c) The armed men at the Mulkerin home.
15. Who do Marchado's men fire at in the morning?
(a) Montero and Eileen.
(c) Sean, Montero and Mariana.
(d) Eileen and Sean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Sean about Russell?
2. What does a voice declare about Russell?
3. What does Francisco try to talk the other man into doing?
4. What do Tennison and Sean talk about concerning people's hands?
5. What do several people tell Sean about Wooston?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)