|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eileen realize as she is waking Juan?
(a) Juan is older than she first thought.
(b) He is dead.
(c) Juan is ill.
(d) The gold can wait.
2. Why is Eileen concerned about Juan?
(a) He is shaking.
(b) He sits to rest in the cave and does not seem well.
(c) He has a bad cough.
(d) He is blue around the lips.
3. What does Eileen come up with for saving the ranch?
(a) A way to barter for the ranch.
(b) A plan to buy time to raise more money.
(d) A plan to legally defeat Wooston.
4. What does the merchant at the local store promise Eileen?
(a) To tell the locals about the way Wooston threatened Eileen.
(b) To hold the next keg of beer that comes in for them.
(c) To refuse to serve Wooston if he comes in.
(d) To attend the fandango and to spread the word about it.
5. Why does Wooston want to take Russell away?
(a) Because he has found the gold.
(b) To find out where Silva is.
(c) To find out what happened to Francisco.
(d) To care for Russell until the man dies.
6. What is the trail from Los Angeles to Malibu like?
(a) It runs through desert.
(b) It runs along the water.
(c) It is steep and narrow.
(d) It runs inland several miles.
7. What does Francisco try to talk the other man into doing?
(a) Going back to town.
(b) Leaving Silva.
(c) Making camp.
(d) Killing Juan.
8. Who is waiting for Eileen's group when they return to the Mulkerin ranch?
(a) The governor.
(b) The sheriff.
(c) A group of armed renegades.
9. Why is Sean hunting?
(a) For Russell.
(b) For Juan's body.
(c) For gold.
(d) For meat for the fandango.
10. What catches Eileen's eye as Juan is sleeping?
(a) A pool of icy spring water.
(b) Some gold nuggets gleaming in the back of the cave.
(c) Some paintings on the cave wall.
(d) Something that moves on the rim.
11. What city is described as a pueblo with a few adobes, a church a few stores and cantinas?
(b) San Diego.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) Santa Barbara.
12. How is Eileen described as looking as she rides?
(a) Like a sack of potatoes.
(b) Like a jockey in a race.
(c) Like an Irish princess.
(d) Like a person who has never mounted a horse before.
13. What do several people tell Sean about Wooston?
(a) That he is moving out of the area.
(b) That he has sworn out an arrest warrant for Eileen.
(c) That he has sworn out an arrest warrant for Juan.
(d) That they will help Sean fight him.
14. Who is missing from the group Wooston sent to confront Eileen's group?
15. Why do Machado's men believe there are more to Sean's group than they thought?
(a) Sean fires his gun from several different places.
(b) Montero throws his voice and accent.
(c) Montero has his horse make noise.
(d) Montero and Mariana make noise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Machado want to wait until the morning to go up against Sean and the others?
2. Of whom is Russell said to be an enemy?
3. Who do Marchado's men fire at in the morning?
4. What does Bell say is obvious?
5. Why is Francisco lagging behind the other man?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)