|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will not take orders from a woman?
(c) The armed men at the Mulkerin home.
2. What sounds are coming from the hills?
(a) Laughter and coyote howls.
(b) Owls hooting.
(c) Wolves howling.
3. What does Sean tell Machado?
(a) That Mariana wants to return to Mexico with Machado.
(b) That there will be no fighting at the fiesta.
(c) That Sean will fight Machado for Mariana the next day.
(d) Sean refuses to speak to Machado.
4. What do Tennison and Sean talk about concerning people's hands?
(a) Some women's hands are calloused when they should be soft.
(b) Some men's hands are soft and show they have never worked hard.
(c) Some hands have six fingers.
(d) Hands can reveal much about a person.
5. Why does Sean wake Mariana?
(a) He wants to tell her a secret.
(b) He wants to get her to safety.
(c) He hears Machado's people coming.
(d) He is lonely.
6. What do Sean and Eileen do when they stop at a local store?
(a) Spread the news of the gold and the fandango.
(b) Show everyone the gold they have found.
(c) Talk about what Wooston has done.
(d) Buy numerous quarts of whiskey for the fandango.
7. Who does Eileen encounter in the local store?
(b) Pio Pico.
8. Why is Francisco lagging behind the other man?
(a) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Silva.
(b) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Juan.
(c) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Machado.
(d) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Russell.
9. Who tells Sean that someone wants to speak with Sean?
10. Why does Bell try to arrest Sean?
(a) For refusing an eviction order.
(b) For falsifying records.
(c) For the murder of Russell.
(d) For stealing gold from land that does not belong to the Mulkerin family.
11. What does Juan warn Eileen not to do?
(a) Try to find the gold alone.
(b) Try to beat Wooston legally.
(c) Anger the spirits.
(d) Wander off.
12. Why is Sean worried about Wooston?
(a) Because he is insane.
(b) Because he has the backing of the governor.
(c) Because he may get violent.
(d) Because he may not bow to pressure.
13. What is Juan careful to do?
(a) Rest often.
(b) Sing appeasing songs for the spirits.
(c) Mark their trail discreetly.
(d) Cover his and Eileen's tracks.
14. Why is Eileen distraught?
(a) Mariana is captured by Marchado's men.
(b) Win is lost in the canyon.
(c) There is only enough gold to pay half of what she owes on the ranch.
(d) Sean is shot.
15. Why does Eileen apologize to Juan?
(a) For being slow on her feet.
(b) For telling Jaime he could not bring Juan to live at the ranch.
(c) For asking him to undertake this journey.
(d) For thinking Jaime was visiting a fake shamen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Francisco try to talk the other man into doing?
2. What does Pico know about Eileen?
3. Why is Sean hunting?
4. What shocks the others when Eileen returns to them?
5. Why is the merchant at the local store startled?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)