|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Juan careful to do?
(a) Cover his and Eileen's tracks.
(b) Mark their trail discreetly.
(c) Sing appeasing songs for the spirits.
(d) Rest often.
2. How much gold does Juan say there is?
(a) Enough to pay for the ranch.
(b) Not much.
(c) Many pounds.
3. What does Sean tell Machado?
(a) That there will be no fighting at the fiesta.
(b) That Sean will fight Machado for Mariana the next day.
(c) That Mariana wants to return to Mexico with Machado.
(d) Sean refuses to speak to Machado.
4. Who speaks to Machado's men from the darkness?
(d) A spirit.
5. What does Eileen realize as she is waking Juan?
(a) He is dead.
(b) The gold can wait.
(c) Juan is ill.
(d) Juan is older than she first thought.
6. What sounds are coming from the hills?
(a) Wolves howling.
(c) Laughter and coyote howls.
(d) Owls hooting.
7. Why is Francisco lagging behind the other man?
(a) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Russell.
(b) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Machado.
(c) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Juan.
(d) Francisco is trying to distance himself from Silva.
8. Who do Marchado's men fire at in the morning?
(b) Montero and Eileen.
(c) Eileen and Sean.
(d) Sean, Montero and Mariana.
9. Who is the elderly man on the burro the Indian is leading?
(b) No one that anyone knows.
10. What does Eileen plan to tell the people in the area?
(a) That gold has been discovered.
(b) That Machado shot Win.
(c) That Juan is dead.
(d) That Machado shot Sean.
11. What does Wooston learn that angers him?
(a) About the upcoming fandango.
(b) About Eileen's upcoming marriage.
(c) About the rumors of his underhanded way to get Eileen off her land.
(d) That the governor has decided not to support Wooston's claims.
12. Who does Eileen encounter in the local store?
(d) Pio Pico.
13. Who is with Francisco in the mountains?
14. Why is Eileen distraught?
(a) There is only enough gold to pay half of what she owes on the ranch.
(b) Win is lost in the canyon.
(c) Mariana is captured by Marchado's men.
(d) Sean is shot.
15. Who arrives at the party?
(a) Machado and some of his men.
(c) The governor.
(d) The Sheriff and several deputies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Polanco and Del Campo?
2. Who is waiting for Eileen's group when they return to the Mulkerin ranch?
3. What does Juan warn Eileen not to do?
4. How does Russell feel as he is leaving the cave?
5. Why does Machado want to wait until the morning to go up against Sean and the others?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)