|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whom does Sean have faith to help him with Machado's men?
2. Why might the gold not be the answer to Eileen's predicament about the ranch house?
(a) The gold may not be on her land.
(b) The gold is on government land.
(c) The gold is not very pure.
(d) There is no time to mine the gold.
3. Why does Eileen apologize to Juan?
(a) For being slow on her feet.
(b) For thinking Jaime was visiting a fake shamen.
(c) For asking him to undertake this journey.
(d) For telling Jaime he could not bring Juan to live at the ranch.
4. What does Russell not believe?
(a) That Wooston will be fair to them.
(b) In ghosts.
(c) That there is gold.
(d) That they will be arrested if they kill Sean Mulkerin.
5. What is the trail from Los Angeles to Malibu like?
(a) It runs through desert.
(b) It runs inland several miles.
(c) It runs along the water.
(d) It is steep and narrow.
6. Who will not take orders from a woman?
(c) The armed men at the Mulkerin home.
7. What does Russell find in the cave?
(a) Francisco's body.
(b) A wolf carcass.
(c) No gold.
(d) Juan's body.
8. Who is the elderly man on the burro the Indian is leading?
(a) No one that anyone knows.
9. What does Sean see down in the canyon?
(a) Nine or ten men.
(b) A wild mustang herd.
(c) A spirit totem.
(d) A group of Mexican Indians.
10. Why does Machado want to wait until the morning to go up against Sean and the others?
(a) Machado wants to rest.
(b) Machado's group is in the open.
(c) Many of the men do not want to move in the dark.
(d) Machado thinks there are ghosts that will help Sean's group in the dark.
11. What city is described as a pueblo with a few adobes, a church a few stores and cantinas?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) Santa Barbara.
(d) San Diego.
12. Why is Sean hunting?
(a) For gold.
(b) For Juan's body.
(c) For meat for the fandango.
(d) For Russell.
13. Where does Sean tell Mariana to ride if Machado's men find them?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) San Bernadino.
(c) The Mulkerin ranch.
(d) The monastery.
14. What does Eileen come up with for saving the ranch?
(a) A plan to legally defeat Wooston.
(b) A plan to buy time to raise more money.
(c) A way to barter for the ranch.
15. What does Juan warn Eileen not to do?
(a) Anger the spirits.
(b) Wander off.
(c) Try to find the gold alone.
(d) Try to beat Wooston legally.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting for Eileen's group when they return to the Mulkerin ranch?
2. Who speaks to Machado's men from the darkness?
3. How does Russell feel as he is leaving the cave?
4. Who covers Eileen and the others' tracks?
5. What does Russell find when he follows some tracks?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)