|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a voice declare about Russell?
(a) That he is an evil man.
(b) That he must not be allowed to remember the night.
(c) That he is innocent of wrongdoing.
(d) That he is a foolish man.
2. Why does Bell try to arrest Sean?
(a) For stealing gold from land that does not belong to the Mulkerin family.
(b) For falsifying records.
(c) For the murder of Russell.
(d) For refusing an eviction order.
3. What does Eileen do with her coat?
(a) To signal Sean and the others.
(b) Covers Juan.
(c) Uses it to protect her knees as she climbs.
(d) To carry the gold.
4. What does Wooston learn that angers him?
(a) About the rumors of his underhanded way to get Eileen off her land.
(b) That the governor has decided not to support Wooston's claims.
(c) About the upcoming fandango.
(d) About Eileen's upcoming marriage.
5. In whom does Sean have faith to help him with Machado's men?
6. What does Sean say about Mariana when asked by Machado?
(a) Mariana is in Los Angeles.
(b) Mariana is back at the ranch.
(c) Mariana has made her choice.
(d) Mariana is with Juan.
7. Who is Polanco and Del Campo?
(a) Men who have come to kill the Mulkerins.
(b) Two sheriff deputies.
(c) Men who have come to help the Mulkerins.
(d) Men Wooston has hired.
8. What does the merchant at the local store promise Eileen?
(a) To attend the fandango and to spread the word about it.
(b) To refuse to serve Wooston if he comes in.
(c) To hold the next keg of beer that comes in for them.
(d) To tell the locals about the way Wooston threatened Eileen.
9. Who is with Francisco in the mountains?
10. Why might the gold not be the answer to Eileen's predicament about the ranch house?
(a) There is no time to mine the gold.
(b) The gold is not very pure.
(c) The gold is on government land.
(d) The gold may not be on her land.
11. Who do Marchado's men fire at in the morning?
(a) Eileen and Sean.
(b) Sean, Montero and Mariana.
(d) Montero and Eileen.
12. What is Juan careful to do?
(a) Mark their trail discreetly.
(b) Sing appeasing songs for the spirits.
(c) Rest often.
(d) Cover his and Eileen's tracks.
13. Why does Sean wake Mariana?
(a) He wants to get her to safety.
(b) He is lonely.
(c) He hears Machado's people coming.
(d) He wants to tell her a secret.
14. What do several people tell Sean about Wooston?
(a) That he has sworn out an arrest warrant for Juan.
(b) That they will help Sean fight him.
(c) That he has sworn out an arrest warrant for Eileen.
(d) That he is moving out of the area.
15. What sounds are coming from the hills?
(a) Wolves howling.
(c) Owls hooting.
(d) Laughter and coyote howls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will not take orders from a woman?
2. What does Silva tell Wooston?
3. Who challenges Sean?
4. How is Eileen described as looking as she rides?
5. What do Tennison and Sean talk about concerning people's hands?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)