|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who speaks to Machado's men from the darkness?
(d) A spirit.
2. What does Silva tell Wooston?
(a) That the Mulkerin party has disappeared.
(b) That the Mulkerin party is back at their ranch.
(c) That he is quitting working for Wooston.
(d) That the Mulkerin party is in a dead-end canyon.
3. Why is the merchant at the local store startled?
(a) At the quantity and quality of gold Eileen shows him.
(b) At the change in fortune of the Mulkerin family.
(c) At the tales of Wooston's treachery.
(d) At the quantity of liquor Sean and Eileen buy.
4. Where does Sean tell Mariana to ride if Machado's men find them?
(a) The Mulkerin ranch.
(b) San Bernadino.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) The monastery.
5. What does Sean say about Mariana when asked by Machado?
(a) Mariana is in Los Angeles.
(b) Mariana has made her choice.
(c) Mariana is back at the ranch.
(d) Mariana is with Juan.
6. Why is Eileen distraught?
(a) Win is lost in the canyon.
(b) There is only enough gold to pay half of what she owes on the ranch.
(c) Mariana is captured by Marchado's men.
(d) Sean is shot.
7. What will help the Mulkerin family obtain another loan?
(a) A wealthy co-signer.
(b) Their political connections.
(c) The appearance of wealth.
(d) A good word from the Bishop.
8. In whom does Sean have faith to help him with Machado's men?
9. Why does Sean wake Mariana?
(a) He wants to get her to safety.
(b) He hears Machado's people coming.
(c) He wants to tell her a secret.
(d) He is lonely.
10. Of whom is Russell said to be an enemy?
(a) The Sky.
(b) The Spirits.
(c) The Senora.
(d) The Land.
11. Who challenges Sean?
(c) No one.
12. What is the trail from Los Angeles to Malibu like?
(a) It is steep and narrow.
(b) It runs along the water.
(c) It runs through desert.
(d) It runs inland several miles.
13. What confirms Eileen's theory about the gold coming from the hills?
(a) Some small gold nuggets laying around.
(c) Seeing a note scrawled by Jaime on a rock.
(d) Pick and shovel marks on the stone.
14. Why does Sean become jealous?
(a) Because Jorge dances with Mariana
(b) Because Wooston dances with Mariana
(c) Because Machado dances with Mariana.
(d) Because Silva dances with Mariana
15. What does Francisco try to talk the other man into doing?
(a) Going back to town.
(b) Leaving Silva.
(c) Making camp.
(d) Killing Juan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mariana supposed to find?
2. What does Wooston learn that angers him?
3. What does Bell say is obvious?
4. How does Russell feel as he is leaving the cave?
5. Why is Francisco lagging behind the other man?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)