|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Eileen's father killed?
2. What has recently burned around the Mulkerin ranch?
(a) The outhouse.
(b) The barn.
(c) Fields of wheat.
(d) Fields of corn.
3. What is the only way for Eileen to accomplish her goal?
(a) Find gold.
(b) Obtain help from her family in Canada.
(c) Marry a wealthy man.
(d) Obtain help from her family in England.
4. What is Michael's occupation?
5. Who is described as a smuggler and swindler?
6. How many men does Juan say is following them?
7. What does Sean spot in the dirt?
(a) A rusted, old knife.
(b) Burned wood pieces.
(c) A talisman.
(d) Sandal tracks.
8. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
(a) He buys it from his brother.
(b) He inherits it from his father.
(c) He marries the woman who owns the land.
(d) As a reward for service in the Mexican army.
9. What does Montero say about his speaking with Juan?
(a) Montero last spoke to Juan many decades ago.
(b) Montero does not speak Juan's dialect.
(c) Montero vowed never to speak to Juan again.
(d) The Mulkerins will have more luck than Montero will.
10. Towards what does Juan lead the party?
(a) A totem pole.
(b) The high desert.
(c) The mountains.
(d) A huge lake.
11. About whom does Sean worry?
(a) The old one.
(c) Eileen and Mariana.
12. Who is still awake when Sean and Mariana reach the Mulkerin house?
(a) No one.
13. Who is Jaime?
(a) The careless ranch hand who caused the fire.
(b) Eileen's deceased husband.
(c) The careless neighbor who caused the fire.
(d) One of Eileen's sons.
14. What is Michael going to do?
(a) Try to raise some cash from some friends.
(b) Stay at the ranch.
(c) Find out more about Wooston.
(d) Hire a lawyer.
15. From whom is Maria fleeing?
(a) Her fiance.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) The law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Montero say about the idea of finding gold in the hills?
2. What does Sean not understand?
3. Where is Jaime at the opening of the story?
4. Who caused the fire on the ranch?
5. Where is the Mulkerin house?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)