|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Juan believe is going to happen?
(a) He is not sure.
(b) A tremendous downpour that will wash out the trail behind them.
(d) The other party will lose its way.
2. Why does Juan say it is important for the party to remember the route?
(a) Because other people will try to find the route.
(b) Because Juan's memory is lagging.
(c) Because Juan is going to die soon.
(d) Because it is dangerous to get off the path.
3. What is one thing that can be seen from the porch of the ranch house?
(a) A few skyscrapers on the San Francisco skyline.
(b) A redwood forest.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) The Sacramento River.
4. What does Sean think Wooston would not do?
(a) Forcibly eject a monk from his home.
(b) Kill anyone in trying to effect an eviction.
(c) Give them any more time than the contract allocates.
(d) Spare Eileen.
5. What does Eileen feel as she suddenly wakens?
(a) Someone is coming.
(b) That they should not be there.
(c) That a dangerous animal is nearby.
(d) That Juan does not remember where Jaime found the gold.
6. What does the party searching for Juan lead?
(a) Two mules.
(b) Two donkeys.
(c) A donkey and a wagon.
(d) Two pack horses.
7. Towards what does Juan lead the party?
(a) A huge lake.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The high desert.
(d) A totem pole.
8. Who is sitting on a bench by his front door?
(d) No one.
9. Who alerts Eileen that Sean has arrived?
(a) No one.
(b) Juan Montero.
10. Where is Jaime at the opening of the story?
(a) In Ireland.
(b) In Mexico.
(d) Living on the ranch that is closest to the Mulkerin Ranch.
11. How old is Juan?
(c) No one knows.
12. What does Sean have in his hands?
(a) A whip.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A recorder.
(d) A shotgun.
13. Where is the Mulkerin house?
(a) San Francisco.
14. What does Eileen say about Mariana?
(a) That she is welcome in the Mulkerin home.
(b) That Mariana should go to San Francisco to Win's family.
(c) That she must leave immediately.
(d) That Mariana and Sean should marry.
15. What is the only way for Eileen to accomplish her goal?
(a) Marry a wealthy man.
(b) Find gold.
(c) Obtain help from her family in Canada.
(d) Obtain help from her family in England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sean spot in the dirt?
2. What is near the open porch?
3. How many sons does Eileen have?
4. Who moves like a young vaquero?
5. Who is described as a smuggler and swindler?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)