|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom is Maria fleeing?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) The law.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her fiance.
2. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
(a) He buys it from his brother.
(b) He inherits it from his father.
(c) He marries the woman who owns the land.
(d) As a reward for service in the Mexican army.
3. What are the local Indians known as?
(b) Honest men and women.
4. How do Eileen's family leave their homeland?
(a) By working for passage on a freighter.
(b) By working for passage on an ocean liner.
(c) By horseback.
(d) On a smuggler's boat.
5. What does Juan believe is going to happen?
(a) A tremendous downpour that will wash out the trail behind them.
(b) The other party will lose its way.
(c) He is not sure.
6. To whom did Jaime direct Juan to tell a secret?
(a) Just Eileen.
(b) Just Sean.
(c) No one.
(d) Sean or Eileen.
7. For what are the Mulkerins looking in the hills?
(d) Natural gas.
8. When do those searching for Juan make camp?
(a) Late afternoon.
(b) They do not make camp.
(c) At sunset.
(d) Not until well into the night.
9. At what age does Sean have his first sea voyage?
10. Towards what does Juan lead the party?
(a) A totem pole.
(b) A huge lake.
(c) The high desert.
(d) The mountains.
11. What does Sean think Wooston would not do?
(a) Forcibly eject a monk from his home.
(b) Kill anyone in trying to effect an eviction.
(c) Spare Eileen.
(d) Give them any more time than the contract allocates.
12. What does Eileen say about Mariana?
(a) That she must leave immediately.
(b) That Mariana should go to San Francisco to Win's family.
(c) That Mariana and Sean should marry.
(d) That she is welcome in the Mulkerin home.
13. Who does Machado say he will take pleasure in killing?
14. What has recently burned around the Mulkerin ranch?
(a) The barn.
(b) Fields of wheat.
(c) Fields of corn.
(d) The outhouse.
15. What is the only way for Eileen to accomplish her goal?
(a) Find gold.
(b) Marry a wealthy man.
(c) Obtain help from her family in Canada.
(d) Obtain help from her family in England.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wooston intend to do about the Mikerin family?
2. What does Sean spot in the dirt?
3. Why does Juan say it is important for the party to remember the route?
4. What is Eileen determined to do at any cost?
5. What is the main personality trait of Jorge Fernandez?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)