|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described as a smuggler and swindler?
2. Where does Juan take the group?
(a) Into a cave.
(b) Onto a hidden trail.
(c) Into a heavily-treed forest.
(d) Behind a waterfall.
3. What has recently burned around the Mulkerin ranch?
(a) Fields of wheat.
(b) The outhouse.
(c) The barn.
(d) Fields of corn.
4. What does Eileen say about Mariana?
(a) That Mariana and Sean should marry.
(b) That she must leave immediately.
(c) That she is welcome in the Mulkerin home.
(d) That Mariana should go to San Francisco to Win's family.
5. What is near the open porch?
(a) A well.
(b) An open cistern.
(c) A four-car garage.
(d) A lean-to stable.
6. What does Juan say to Eileen?
(a) That she should not have come.
(b) That she is in danger more than the others.
(c) That she is the only one who can find the gold.
(d) That she is the only one who can communicate with Jaime.
7. What type of house does the Mulkerin family have?
8. What are the local Indians known as?
(b) Honest men and women.
9. What does Sean spot in the dirt?
(a) A rusted, old knife.
(b) A talisman.
(c) Burned wood pieces.
(d) Sandal tracks.
10. What does Wooston intend to do about the Mikerin family?
(a) Evict them.
(b) Help them with their finances.
(c) Help them with their legal problems.
(d) Sue them.
11. What is said about Juan concerning his people?
(a) He has a large extended family living in the hills.
(b) His tribe lives somewhere in the hills, though he has no close relatives alive.
(c) He is the last of his people.
(d) That his people live in South America.
12. Who is Jaime?
(a) The careless neighbor who caused the fire.
(b) Eileen's deceased husband.
(c) One of Eileen's sons.
(d) The careless ranch hand who caused the fire.
13. Where does Eileen first move when she leaves her homeland?
14. Where is Eileen's father killed?
15. What does Montero say about the idea of finding gold in the hills?
(a) It is a good way to rescue the ranch.
(b) It will be difficult but can be done.
(c) It is nonsense.
(d) There are only small amounts of gold in the hills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most likely way the farm will be saved?
2. What does the party searching for Juan lead?
3. Who does Juan say are new tribes?
4. Where is Jaime at the opening of the story?
5. What is one thing that can be seen from the porch of the ranch house?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)