|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Juan say it is important for the party to remember the route?
(a) Because other people will try to find the route.
(b) Because it is dangerous to get off the path.
(c) Because Juan is going to die soon.
(d) Because Juan's memory is lagging.
2. What is one thing that can be seen from the porch of the ranch house?
(a) The Sacramento River.
(b) A few skyscrapers on the San Francisco skyline.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) A redwood forest.
3. Who moves like a young vaquero?
4. How old is Juan?
(a) No one knows.
5. What does Sean not understand?
(a) How his mother keeps up with the men.
(b) Why Juan will take them to the gold.
(c) How Juan and other "old ones" know things when there is no obvious signs.
(d) Why Juan will not take them to the gold.
6. Who is the owner of a local cantina who is riding with Wooston?
(a) Jorge Rodriquez.
(b) Jorge Fernandez.
(c) Tomas Alexander.
7. With whom does Eileen live after her father dies?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) An aunt and uncle.
(c) No one.
(d) Her oldest sister.
8. What has recently burned around the Mulkerin ranch?
(a) The barn.
(b) Fields of wheat.
(c) The outhouse.
(d) Fields of corn.
9. What is one thing that has put the farm at risk?
(a) The cows had hoof and mouth disease.
(b) Legal problems.
(c) Bad luck.
(d) They grew too much of one crop.
10. What does Sean spot in the dirt?
(a) Sandal tracks.
(b) Burned wood pieces.
(c) A talisman.
(d) A rusted, old knife.
11. What does Eileen say when confronted by Wooston?
(a) She will pay the note.
(b) She will drop her lawsuit against Wooston.
(c) She will leave the ranch in one month.
(d) She will leave the ranch the next day.
12. How many men does Juan say is following them?
13. Where is the Mulkerin house?
(c) San Francisco.
14. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
(a) He marries the woman who owns the land.
(b) He buys it from his brother.
(c) He inherits it from his father.
(d) As a reward for service in the Mexican army.
15. Who used to go into the hills with Jaime?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting on a bench by his front door?
2. Where is Eileen raised?
3. To whom does Juan say he will tell his people's history?
4. How do Eileen's family leave their homeland?
5. How many sons does Eileen have?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)