|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Juan take to find the gold?
2. What does Win want to do with Mariana?
(a) Send her back to her uncle.
(b) Send her to stay in town.
(c) Send her to family in San Francisco.
(d) Let her live at the ranch.
3. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
(a) As a reward for service in the Mexican army.
(b) He marries the woman who owns the land.
(c) He inherits it from his father.
(d) He buys it from his brother.
4. Who decides to go looking for Juan?
(a) Just Montero.
(b) Just Eileen and Montero.
(c) Sean, Montero, Eileen and Mariana.
(d) Just Sean and Eileen.
5. What is the name of Sean's boat?
(a) The Lady of Liberty.
(b) The Luck of the Draw.
(c) Lady Luck.
(d) The Rancheria.
6. Where is the Mulkerin house?
(d) San Francisco.
7. What does Montero say about the idea of finding gold in the hills?
(a) There are only small amounts of gold in the hills.
(b) It will be difficult but can be done.
(c) It is a good way to rescue the ranch.
(d) It is nonsense.
8. What does Montero say about his speaking with Juan?
(a) Montero last spoke to Juan many decades ago.
(b) The Mulkerins will have more luck than Montero will.
(c) Montero vowed never to speak to Juan again.
(d) Montero does not speak Juan's dialect.
9. What is one thing that can be seen from the porch of the ranch house?
(a) The Pacific Ocean.
(b) The Sacramento River.
(c) A redwood forest.
(d) A few skyscrapers on the San Francisco skyline.
10. What is the source of the Mikerin family's spiritual courage?
(b) A book Jaime leaves them.
(c) The old ways of the Indians.
11. What does Eileen feel as she suddenly wakens?
(a) That Juan does not remember where Jaime found the gold.
(b) That they should not be there.
(c) Someone is coming.
(d) That a dangerous animal is nearby.
12. Where is Eileen's father killed?
13. How many sons does Eileen have?
14. About whom does Sean worry?
(a) Eileen and Mariana.
(d) The old one.
15. What type of house does the Mulkerin family have?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Juan?
2. What does Eileen say about Mariana?
3. What did Jaime find twice?
4. What is said about Juan concerning his people?
5. What are the local Indians known as?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)