|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only way for Eileen to accomplish her goal?
(a) Find gold.
(b) Obtain help from her family in Canada.
(c) Obtain help from her family in England.
(d) Marry a wealthy man.
2. Who is Sean?
(a) A man who is coming to the Mulkerin home from Mexico.
(b) Eileen's lawyer.
(c) Eileen's husband.
(d) Eileen's brother.
3. What is the source of the Mikerin family's spiritual courage?
(b) A book Jaime leaves them.
(d) The old ways of the Indians.
4. At what age does Sean have his first sea voyage?
5. From whom is Maria fleeing?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her fiance.
(c) The law.
(d) Her father.
6. What does Juan believe is going to happen?
(a) A tremendous downpour that will wash out the trail behind them.
(b) The other party will lose its way.
(c) He is not sure.
7. What does Eileen say about Mariana?
(a) That Mariana and Sean should marry.
(b) That Mariana should go to San Francisco to Win's family.
(c) That she must leave immediately.
(d) That she is welcome in the Mulkerin home.
8. Where does Juan take the group?
(a) Behind a waterfall.
(b) Into a heavily-treed forest.
(c) Into a cave.
(d) Onto a hidden trail.
9. Who caused the fire on the ranch?
(a) A careless neighbor.
(c) Someone who wants to buy the ranch.
(d) A careless ranch hand.
10. How do Eileen's family leave their homeland?
(a) By working for passage on an ocean liner.
(b) By working for passage on a freighter.
(c) By horseback.
(d) On a smuggler's boat.
11. Where does Eileen first move when she leaves her homeland?
12. Who is the owner of a local cantina who is riding with Wooston?
(a) Tomas Alexander.
(b) Jorge Fernandez.
(c) Jorge Rodriquez.
13. What is one thing that has put the farm at risk?
(a) They grew too much of one crop.
(b) Bad luck.
(c) The cows had hoof and mouth disease.
(d) Legal problems.
14. What does Montero say about his speaking with Juan?
(a) The Mulkerins will have more luck than Montero will.
(b) Montero last spoke to Juan many decades ago.
(c) Montero vowed never to speak to Juan again.
(d) Montero does not speak Juan's dialect.
15. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
(a) As a reward for service in the Mexican army.
(b) He buys it from his brother.
(c) He marries the woman who owns the land.
(d) He inherits it from his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Machado say he will take pleasure in killing?
2. Why does Juan say it is important for the party to remember the route?
3. What does Montero say about the idea of finding gold in the hills?
4. What is the name of Sean's boat?
5. By what was Juan's people's settlement destroyed?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)