|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Juan say are new tribes?
(a) The Aztecs and Incas.
(b) He does not mention any new tribes.
(c) The Plains Indians.
(d) The tribes of California.
2. Where is the Mulkerin house?
(b) San Francisco.
3. What is the main personality trait of Jorge Fernandez?
4. How many more days are there to the trip?
(c) A few hours.
5. Who is the owner of a local cantina who is riding with Wooston?
(b) Jorge Rodriquez.
(c) Tomas Alexander.
(d) Jorge Fernandez.
6. At what age does Sean have his first sea voyage?
7. What does Juan believe is going to happen?
(a) The other party will lose its way.
(b) He is not sure.
(d) A tremendous downpour that will wash out the trail behind them.
8. What is said about Juan concerning his people?
(a) His tribe lives somewhere in the hills, though he has no close relatives alive.
(b) He has a large extended family living in the hills.
(c) He is the last of his people.
(d) That his people live in South America.
9. Who is Sean?
(a) Eileen's brother.
(b) A man who is coming to the Mulkerin home from Mexico.
(c) Eileen's husband.
(d) Eileen's lawyer.
10. What is Eileen determined to do at any cost?
(a) Send her sons to her home in Canada.
(b) Send her sons to her home in England.
(c) Send her sons to college.
(d) Save her home.
11. How does Jaime obtain land in California?
(a) He marries the woman who owns the land.
(b) He inherits it from his father.
(c) He buys it from his brother.
(d) As a reward for service in the Mexican army.
12. To whom did Jaime direct Juan to tell a secret?
(a) Sean or Eileen.
(b) No one.
(c) Just Eileen.
(d) Just Sean.
13. Where does Juan take the group?
(a) Onto a hidden trail.
(b) Into a heavily-treed forest.
(c) Into a cave.
(d) Behind a waterfall.
14. What does Wooston intend to do about the Mikerin family?
(a) Help them with their finances.
(b) Help them with their legal problems.
(c) Evict them.
(d) Sue them.
15. What unusual gift did Jaime have that Eileen admired?
(a) His ability to communicate with people who speak different languages.
(b) The gift of being a horse whisperer.
(c) None that are mentioned.
(d) The ability to speak to deceased people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons does Eileen have?
2. Where is Jaime at the opening of the story?
3. What is the only way for Eileen to accomplish her goal?
4. Who does Juan take to find the gold?
5. What is one thing that has put the farm at risk?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)