|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the party searching for Juan lead?
(a) Two donkeys.
(b) A donkey and a wagon.
(c) Two mules.
(d) Two pack horses.
2. What does Sean spot in the dirt?
(a) A rusted, old knife.
(b) A talisman.
(c) Burned wood pieces.
(d) Sandal tracks.
3. What does Eileen say when confronted by Wooston?
(a) She will leave the ranch in one month.
(b) She will pay the note.
(c) She will drop her lawsuit against Wooston.
(d) She will leave the ranch the next day.
4. What is the only way for Eileen to accomplish her goal?
(a) Marry a wealthy man.
(b) Obtain help from her family in England.
(c) Obtain help from her family in Canada.
(d) Find gold.
5. What does Juan believe is going to happen?
(b) The other party will lose its way.
(c) He is not sure.
(d) A tremendous downpour that will wash out the trail behind them.
6. About whom does Sean worry?
(a) Eileen and Mariana.
(c) The old one.
7. To whom did Jaime direct Juan to tell a secret?
(a) Sean or Eileen.
(b) Just Eileen.
(c) No one.
(d) Just Sean.
8. What is Eileen determined to do at any cost?
(a) Send her sons to her home in Canada.
(b) Save her home.
(c) Send her sons to college.
(d) Send her sons to her home in England.
9. What does Sean think Wooston would not do?
(a) Forcibly eject a monk from his home.
(b) Spare Eileen.
(c) Give them any more time than the contract allocates.
(d) Kill anyone in trying to effect an eviction.
10. What is said about Juan concerning his people?
(a) His tribe lives somewhere in the hills, though he has no close relatives alive.
(b) He has a large extended family living in the hills.
(c) He is the last of his people.
(d) That his people live in South America.
11. What is the source of the Mikerin family's spiritual courage?
(a) The old ways of the Indians.
(b) A book Jaime leaves them.
12. What does Eileen feel as she suddenly wakens?
(a) That Juan does not remember where Jaime found the gold.
(b) Someone is coming.
(c) That a dangerous animal is nearby.
(d) That they should not be there.
13. What is Michael's occupation?
14. Who does Machado say he will take pleasure in killing?
15. What is the main personality trait of Jorge Fernandez?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jaime at the opening of the story?
2. Who moves like a young vaquero?
3. Where is Eileen's father killed?
4. What is the name of Sean's boat?
5. What are the local Indians known as?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)