|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many siblings was Riva living with in the ghetto?
2. What amenities were eliminated shortly after the creation of the ghetto?
3. What did Riva's siblings trade for bread on the black market?
4. What did the landlady's grandson wear when he pounded on the door?
5. What did Riva's younger brother contract when he was 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What amenities were eliminated?
2. Why were two sisters beaten, according to Chapter 34?
3. Why did Riva refuse to take her letters and poetry with her?
4. Why wasn't Riva surprised that she did not have news from Yulek, in Chapter 21?
5. How was Shmulek deceived, according to Chapter 12?
6. What did a guard say about Riva's poem?
7. Why were the bombs "music," according to Doctor Ginzburg?
8. Where was Riva's family living, according to Chapter 5?
9. What did Riva receive special permission for?
10. What did the camp doctor tell Riva?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the purpose of the ghettos established by the Third Reich and the conditions suffered by the Jews in the ghettos.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how Riva was treated in comparison to others and conclude why she was given second chances on many occasions. Discuss how this impacted her emotionally.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role that writing had in Riva's life.
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)