|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Riva's mother's name?
2. What did the landlady's grandson tell Riva?
3. What was the name of the grandson of Riva's family's landlady?
4. What were the Jews forced to wear in 1940?
5. What was the name of the deaf and mute boy Riva helped, in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nacha refuse to hide when the Germans came to the door?
2. What job did Riva take, in Chapter 7?
3. Why was Riva at her lowest point of despair?
4. What did Motele return home with and why was Riva worried?
5. What haunted Riva in her sleep?
6. Why did Riva say Shmulek couldn't stay at her house?
7. What was Riva's new home like?
8. What orders did Riva and others in the building receive, in Chapter 17?
9. What did Motele say about the remaining families in Chapter 22?
10. Why wasn't Riva surprised that she did not have news from Yulek, in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the purpose of the music playing at Auschwitz upon their arrival.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role that writing had in Riva's life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the doctor stating that Riva was important for morale of the camp and how the Nazis tried to keep resistance to a minimum.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)