|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Riva's family's landlady?
(a) Mrs. Ham.
(b) Mrs. Meister.
(c) Mrs. Gruber.
(d) Mrs. Henrich.
2. What did the landlady's grandson tell Riva?
(a) That he would protect her family from persecution.
(b) That they needed to hide.
(c) That they had to vacate the apartment.
(d) That the rent was going to go up.
3. What was the name of the deaf and mute boy Riva helped, in Chapter 4?
4. Why was the man Riva saw attacked by Germans?
(a) He tried to help a Jewish pregnant woman.
(b) He tried to touch a German.
(c) He tried to take a gun on the floor.
(d) He tried to flee.
5. What separated Riva and her cousin?
(a) A bomb run by the Soviets.
(b) A fire in one of the houses.
(c) A column of German soldiers headed for the front.
(d) An attack by Germans on Jews.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language did the landlady speak besides Polish?
2. What were the people of the ghetto encouraged to do?
3. Why did the Germans take Riva's mother away?
4. What was Riva dreading, according to Chapter 1?
5. What did Riva think after being separated from her cousin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were people urged to do in Chapter 6?
2. Why were two sisters beaten, according to Chapter 34?
3. What did Motele tell Riva after they were crammed into the cattle cars?
4. What did Riva's mother do for a living?
5. Why did Riva refuse to take her letters and poetry with her?
6. Why were the bombs "music," according to Doctor Ginzburg?
7. What did Riva ask Saba about the yellow star?
8. Why was Riva at her lowest point of despair?
9. What did Riva note about those who joined the Nazis?
10. Why did Riva say Shmulek couldn't stay at her house?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)