|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Riva's brother Motele doing in Chapter 14?
(a) Being a lookout for men tearing down a building.
(b) Working in a factory.
(d) Building tools for the Jewish underground movement.
2. What did the Ghetto commander tell the workers in Riva's shop?
(a) That their skill was needed for the resettlement effort.
(b) That they needed to work harder to ensure victory.
(c) That they needed to find their families.
(d) That they would be relocated within 2 weeks.
3. Who was the manager of the shop Riva where Riva worked?
(a) Michel Yemshi.
(b) David Avner.
(c) Yuri Mikelham.
(d) David Berkenwald.
4. Who did Yulek want to bring with him?
(a) His father.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
5. Where was Riva's hiding place?
(a) In the basement.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the outhouse.
(d) In the attic.
6. How did Riva's brothers pay for the tailor in Chapter 19?
(a) With gold.
(b) With fruits.
(c) With bread.
(d) With labor.
7. Why did the story Riva and Laibele talked about sound happy?
(a) Because they were in Yiddish.
(b) Because they lived in a happy home.
(c) Because they were ending happily.
(d) Because they were told by their mother.
8. What was Riva reading with the man she said might have been more than a friend?
(a) The Torah.
(c) A short story.
(d) A love novel.
9. What was the name of the boy that came to Riva's house in chapter 16?
(a) Yulek Schwartz.
(b) Moshe Krako.
(c) Yulek Hamsht.
(d) Henry Yuberg.
10. What did most of the families of the ghetto decide to do, according to Motele, in Chapter 22?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Try to escape.
(c) Try to revolt.
(d) Volunteer for resettlement.
11. Who was frightened in Yulek's apartment?
(a) His grandmother.
(c) His mother.
12. What was the name of the motherly neighbor Riva talked about?
(a) Mrs. Yumlek.
(b) Mrs. Boruchowich.
(c) Mrs. Avner.
(d) Mrs. Hemshi.
13. Who did the coat in Chapter 19 belong to?
(b) An uncle.
(c) A niece.
(d) A neighbor.
14. What served as a toilet during the train ride, in Chapter 24?
(b) Holes in the floor.
(c) A single toilet.
15. Why were the women of Riva's group reserved toward Riva, in Chapter 18?
(a) She was friends with a German soldier.
(b) She stole food from the common area.
(c) Her name on the deportee list had been switched for someone else.
(d) She told the manager that one of the women she was working with stole some fabric.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area of the shop did the manager transfer Riva to?
2. What did Riva and others in her building receive, in Chapter 17?
3. What holiday started in Chapter 15?
4. What friends did Riva promise to try to stay with if the men and women were separated at their destination?
5. Who was the commander of the ghetto in which Riva's family was living?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)