|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Riva and Laibele talking about at the start of Chapter 14?
(a) How to escape the ghetto.
(b) The war.
(c) How to find food.
(d) Poems they learned as children.
2. Who was frightened in Yulek's apartment?
(b) His grandmother.
(d) His mother.
3. Who did Riva start writing letters to in Chapter 16?
(a) Members of her family.
(b) Dead rabbis.
4. What happened to Laibele in springtime?
(a) He got better.
(b) He refused to eat anything.
(c) He stopped talking.
(d) He neared death.
5. What was the Skif?
(a) The Nazis party.
(b) The communist party.
(c) The organization of socialist children.
(d) The resettlement association.
6. Why were the workers of Riva's shop enemies of Russia, according to the Ghetto commander?
(a) They were Jewish.
(b) They were making weapons.
(c) They were making ammunition.
(d) They sewed German uniforms.
7. What did Riva scream to Laibele?
(a) To come back home.
(b) Not to leave her.
(c) To bring back food.
(d) To wait for her in heaven.
8. What did Yulek ask Riva to help him with?
(b) Moving to a new apartment.
9. What friends did Riva promise to try to stay with if the men and women were separated at their destination?
(a) Karola and Yuma.
(b) Ira and Yuma.
(c) Karola and Rifkele.
(d) Rifkele and Saba.
10. Where did Riva arrive at the end of Chapter 24?
11. How old was Faygele in Chapter 16?
(a) 18 years old.
(b) 19 years old.
(c) 15 years old.
(d) 14 years old.
12. What sentence did Motele receive after being caught?
(b) Twelve days in jail.
(d) Clean the outdoor toilet for two days.
13. What was Riva's brother Motele doing in Chapter 14?
(a) Being a lookout for men tearing down a building.
(b) Working in a factory.
(c) Building tools for the Jewish underground movement.
14. Why did the man say he carried his tool, according to Chapter 23?
(a) He thought he could find a job more easily.
(b) It was his only possession.
(c) He thought he might be more valuable to the Germans.
(d) It was a family heirloom.
15. What did most of the families of the ghetto decide to do, according to Motele, in Chapter 22?
(a) Try to escape.
(b) Try to revolt.
(c) Volunteer for resettlement.
(d) Commit suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Motele get for his work in Chapter 14?
2. What did Riva say did not get in or out of the ghetto in Chapter 21?
3. What did Riva use to stay in touch with former neighbors and friends?
4. What was the coat in Chapter 19 made into?
5. What period of time elapsed between Chapter 20 and Chapter 21?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)