|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the boy that came to Riva's house in chapter 16?
(a) Yulek Schwartz.
(b) Henry Yuberg.
(c) Moshe Krako.
(d) Yulek Hamsht.
2. What was the name of the motherly neighbor Riva talked about?
(a) Mrs. Yumlek.
(b) Mrs. Hemshi.
(c) Mrs. Avner.
(d) Mrs. Boruchowich.
3. Where was Riva's hiding place?
(a) In the basement.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the outhouse.
(d) In the attic.
4. What did Riva and others in her building receive, in Chapter 17?
(a) Food coupons.
(b) Orders to move.
(c) Orders to clean their apartment.
(d) Two arm-loads of wood.
5. What did Riva use to stay in touch with former neighbors and friends?
(a) The youth movement.
(b) The liberation movement.
(c) The Communist movement.
(d) The Nazi movement.
6. What did Riva say the "one room walk in " became, in Chapter 18?
(a) A deserted place.
(b) A hospital.
(c) Their play area.
(d) A busy place.
7. What were Riva and Laibele talking about at the start of Chapter 14?
(a) How to escape the ghetto.
(b) The war.
(c) Poems they learned as children.
(d) How to find food.
8. What sentence did Motele receive after being caught?
(c) Twelve days in jail.
(d) Clean the outdoor toilet for two days.
9. What tool did one of the men carry, according to Chapter 23?
(a) A wood stove.
(b) A sewing machine.
(c) A steel press.
(d) A hammer.
10. Who called Riva out of her hiding place after the Germans failed to find her and her brothers?
(a) Her brother.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) Her mother.
11. What was Riva reading with the man she said might have been more than a friend?
(a) A short story.
(b) The Torah.
(c) A love novel.
12. What did most of the families of the ghetto decide to do, according to Motele, in Chapter 22?
(a) Try to revolt.
(b) Volunteer for resettlement.
(c) Try to escape.
(d) Commit suicide.
13. What was the Skif?
(a) The Nazis party.
(b) The organization of socialist children.
(c) The resettlement association.
(d) The communist party.
14. What did Yulek ask Riva to help him with?
(a) Moving to a new apartment.
15. What was Riva's building to be used for?
(a) To make firewood.
(b) As a storage area.
(c) As a hospital.
(d) To hide escapees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the workers of Riva's shop enemies of Russia, according to the Ghetto commander?
2. How long did the trip take?
3. What list did Yulek discover he was on, in Chapter 20?
4. What period of time elapsed between Chapter 20 and Chapter 21?
5. What was the coat in Chapter 19 made into?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)