|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Riva realize after being comforted?
(a) They still had hopes and dreams.
(b) She wanted to die.
(c) She needed to write.
(d) She wanted to escape.
2. Why did the man say he carried his tool, according to Chapter 23?
(a) It was his only possession.
(b) He thought he might be more valuable to the Germans.
(c) He thought he could find a job more easily.
(d) It was a family heirloom.
3. What did Riva do when they entered the "one room walk in"?
(a) She laughed.
(b) She cried.
(c) She fainted.
(d) She screamed.
4. What did Riva and others in her building receive, in Chapter 17?
(a) Orders to clean their apartment.
(b) Orders to move.
(c) Food coupons.
(d) Two arm-loads of wood.
5. What did Riva suggest she and her two brother do to keep warm?
(a) Go to bed.
(b) Turn the central heat on.
(c) Open a window.
(d) Light a fire.
6. Who did Riva start writing letters to in Chapter 16?
(a) Dead rabbis.
(c) Members of her family.
7. What did Riva scream to Laibele?
(a) To wait for her in heaven.
(b) Not to leave her.
(c) To bring back food.
(d) To come back home.
8. Why did the story Riva and Laibele talked about sound happy?
(a) Because they were in Yiddish.
(b) Because they were told by their mother.
(c) Because they lived in a happy home.
(d) Because they were ending happily.
9. Who did Yulek want to bring with him?
(a) His father.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
10. Why were the women of Riva's group reserved toward Riva, in Chapter 18?
(a) She was friends with a German soldier.
(b) She stole food from the common area.
(c) Her name on the deportee list had been switched for someone else.
(d) She told the manager that one of the women she was working with stole some fabric.
11. What was the Skif?
(a) The Nazis party.
(b) The organization of socialist children.
(c) The resettlement association.
(d) The communist party.
12. What was Riva's building to be used for?
(a) As a hospital.
(b) To make firewood.
(c) To hide escapees.
(d) As a storage area.
13. What sentence did Motele receive after being caught?
(b) Twelve days in jail.
(c) Clean the outdoor toilet for two days.
14. Who was the commander of the ghetto in which Riva's family was living?
(a) Hans Biebow.
(b) Karl Eimster.
(c) Henry Bolk.
(d) Henrish Ruber.
15. What tool did one of the men carry, according to Chapter 23?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A wood stove.
(c) A steel press.
(d) A sewing machine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the boy that came to Riva's house in chapter 16?
2. What holiday started in Chapter 15?
3. Why were the workers of Riva's shop enemies of Russia, according to the Ghetto commander?
4. What did Riva use to stay in touch with former neighbors and friends?
5. What did the Ghetto commander tell the workers in Riva's shop?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)