|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Yulek want to bring with him?
(b) His mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
2. What was the coat in Chapter 19 made into?
(a) A robe.
(b) A skirt.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A suit for Riva.
3. What did Riva suggest she and her two brother do to keep warm?
(a) Light a fire.
(b) Turn the central heat on.
(c) Open a window.
(d) Go to bed.
4. What tool did one of the men carry, according to Chapter 23?
(a) A sewing machine.
(b) A steel press.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A wood stove.
5. Who did the coat in Chapter 19 belong to?
(b) A neighbor.
(c) An uncle.
(d) A niece.
6. How many lives did the the shop manager say he saved by his action?
(a) 9 lives.
(b) 5 lives.
(c) 2 lives.
(d) 3 lives.
7. Why did the story Riva and Laibele talked about sound happy?
(a) Because they were ending happily.
(b) Because they were in Yiddish.
(c) Because they were told by their mother.
(d) Because they lived in a happy home.
8. What did Riva scream to Laibele?
(a) To wait for her in heaven.
(b) To come back home.
(c) Not to leave her.
(d) To bring back food.
9. What did the Ghetto commander tell the workers in Riva's shop?
(a) That they needed to work harder to ensure victory.
(b) That their skill was needed for the resettlement effort.
(c) That they needed to find their families.
(d) That they would be relocated within 2 weeks.
10. What were Riva and Laibele talking about at the start of Chapter 14?
(a) How to find food.
(b) The war.
(c) How to escape the ghetto.
(d) Poems they learned as children.
11. What did most of the families of the ghetto decide to do, according to Motele, in Chapter 22?
(a) Try to escape.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Volunteer for resettlement.
(d) Try to revolt.
12. What happened to Laibele in springtime?
(a) He got better.
(b) He neared death.
(c) He refused to eat anything.
(d) He stopped talking.
13. Why were the workers of Riva's shop enemies of Russia, according to the Ghetto commander?
(a) They sewed German uniforms.
(b) They were making ammunition.
(c) They were Jewish.
(d) They were making weapons.
14. Who was the manager of the shop Riva where Riva worked?
(a) David Berkenwald.
(b) Michel Yemshi.
(c) Yuri Mikelham.
(d) David Avner.
15. What was Riva's building to be used for?
(a) To hide escapees.
(b) To make firewood.
(c) As a storage area.
(d) As a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area of the shop did the manager transfer Riva to?
2. Who called Riva out of her hiding place after the Germans failed to find her and her brothers?
3. What list did Yulek discover he was on, in Chapter 20?
4. Why did Riva refuse to take the letters she wrote with her?
5. What was Yulek's hope after discovering he was on the list?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)