|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Riva start working, in Chapter 18?
(a) A steel mill.
(b) At a sewing factory.
(c) A pot factory.
(d) A tank repair depot.
2. Why were the women of Riva's group reserved toward Riva, in Chapter 18?
(a) She stole food from the common area.
(b) She told the manager that one of the women she was working with stole some fabric.
(c) Her name on the deportee list had been switched for someone else.
(d) She was friends with a German soldier.
3. What served as a toilet during the train ride, in Chapter 24?
(a) Holes in the floor.
(b) A single toilet.
4. What was Yulek's hope after discovering he was on the list?
(a) That he could escape.
(b) That he would die quickly.
(c) That he could marry Riva.
(d) That the propaganda was true.
5. What list did Yulek discover he was on, in Chapter 20?
(a) A wanted list.
(b) The list for the draft.
(c) The list of teenagers to be deported.
(d) The list of high skilled workers.
6. What was Riva's building to be used for?
(a) To hide escapees.
(b) To make firewood.
(c) As a storage area.
(d) As a hospital.
7. What did Riva use to hide the trap door of their hiding place?
(a) A stack of wood.
(b) A rug.
(c) A bed.
(d) A chair.
8. What did Riva scream to Laibele?
(a) To come back home.
(b) To bring back food.
(c) To wait for her in heaven.
(d) Not to leave her.
9. Why did the man say he carried his tool, according to Chapter 23?
(a) It was his only possession.
(b) He thought he could find a job more easily.
(c) He thought he might be more valuable to the Germans.
(d) It was a family heirloom.
10. How did Riva's brothers pay for the tailor in Chapter 19?
(a) With fruits.
(b) With bread.
(c) With gold.
(d) With labor.
11. Why did Riva refuse to take the letters she wrote with her?
(a) To give clues to their mother if she ever returned.
(b) They were needed to tell the story of the ghetto.
(c) They could be confiscated.
(d) They would be read.
12. Who was frightened in Yulek's apartment?
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandmother.
13. Why were the workers of Riva's shop enemies of Russia, according to the Ghetto commander?
(a) They sewed German uniforms.
(b) They were making ammunition.
(c) They were Jewish.
(d) They were making weapons.
14. What did Riva describe as being a "one room walk in"?
(a) The new Jewish Affairs office.
(b) Their new apartment.
(c) Their new bedroom.
(d) Their new factory.
15. Why did the story Riva and Laibele talked about sound happy?
(a) Because they were told by their mother.
(b) Because they were in Yiddish.
(c) Because they lived in a happy home.
(d) Because they were ending happily.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Laibele in springtime?
2. What did Riva note were banned?
3. What was the name of the motherly neighbor Riva talked about?
4. What was the coat in Chapter 19 made into?
5. What did most of the families of the ghetto decide to do, according to Motele, in Chapter 22?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)