|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the landlady's grandson tell Riva?
(a) That he would protect her family from persecution.
(b) That they had to vacate the apartment.
(c) That the rent was going to go up.
(d) That they needed to hide.
2. What was the name of the grandson of Riva's family's landlady?
3. What job did Riva take in order to stay at home with her brother?
(b) Writing letters to soldiers.
(c) Sewing uniforms.
(d) Braiding rugs.
4. How many children did Riva's mother have?
5. When did Riva and her cousin go to the post office, according to Chapter 4?
(a) May 1940.
(b) April 1939.
(c) March 1940.
(d) April 1940.
6. In what year does Chapter 6 begin?
(a) September 1943.
(b) September 1940.
(c) September 1942.
(d) September 1941.
7. What was Riva dreading, according to Chapter 1?
(a) Going outside.
(b) Taking the car.
(c) Looking people in the eye.
(d) Going to sleep.
8. What did Riva's mother plead for the landlady to leave?
(a) The chairs.
(b) The beds.
(c) The stove.
(d) The fridge.
9. What holiday was Riva's mother preparing for, in her memory of her childhood?
(c) Yum Kippur.
10. What did the landlady's grandson wear when he pounded on the door?
(a) A Nazi uniform.
(b) A Communist uniform.
(c) A dress.
(d) A payot.
11. Where did the men Riva overheard gather?
(a) In Temple.
(b) In a bar.
(c) Under a large oak tree.
(d) Near a river.
12. What did Riva become at age 16?
(a) A member of the Volksdeutsche.
(b) Mother of three.
(c) A student.
(d) A factory worker.
13. What did Riva call the event she witnessed in Chapter 4?
(a) The Caravan of Horror.
(b) The train of shame.
(c) The horror train.
(d) The cattle train.
14. Riva's conversation with her daughter, stirred memories for Riva about what year?
15. What did the propaganda tell the inhabitants of the ghetto?
(a) That they could create their own country.
(b) That those who leave will have hospital access.
(c) That they would be safe from the Soviets.
(d) That they could have access to public gardens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Riva talking to at the start of Chapter 1?
2. Why was the man Riva saw attacked by Germans?
3. What happened to Riva's family's apartment?
4. How old was Riva's cousin when they lived in Poland?
5. What did the men Riva overheard talk about?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)