|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Riva's job in the ghetto?
(a) Making ammunition.
(b) Making steel pots.
(c) Sewing flags.
(d) Sewing German uniforms.
2. What happened to the men the Germans harassed?
(a) They were taken to a local factory to work.
(b) They were shot.
(c) They were taken in trains and never came back.
(d) They were put in trucks and brought to work on a bridge.
3. Where did the young man that came to Riva's house in search of his family stay?
(a) Riva's place.
(b) The outdoor bathroom.
(c) Henry's place.
(d) The steel factory.
4. What job did Riva take in order to stay at home with her brother?
(b) Writing letters to soldiers.
(c) Sewing uniforms.
(d) Braiding rugs.
5. What made Nancy sad?
(a) She did not have a dad.
(b) She did not have a brother.
(c) She did not have friends.
(d) She did not have grandparents.
6. How old was Riva in her recollection?
7. What did Riva become at age 16?
(a) A factory worker.
(b) A student.
(c) Mother of three.
(d) A member of the Volksdeutsche.
8. When did Riva and her cousin go to the post office, according to Chapter 4?
(a) March 1940.
(b) April 1940.
(c) April 1939.
(d) May 1940.
9. What did the Child Welfare Department worker tell Riva?
(a) That they had to take her away.
(b) That they could not live alone.
(c) That she could apply for financial aid.
(d) That she had to get a job.
10. Where did Riva's family hide the youngest brother when the Germans came to their apartment?
(a) In the basement.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the pantry.
(d) In the attic.
11. What holiday was Riva's mother preparing for, in her memory of her childhood?
(c) Yum Kippur.
12. What did the propaganda tell the inhabitants of the ghetto?
(a) That they could create their own country.
(b) That they could have access to public gardens.
(c) That they would be safe from the Soviets.
(d) That those who leave will have hospital access.
13. What was the name of the young man that came to Riva's house in search of his family?
14. What separated Riva and her cousin?
(a) An attack by Germans on Jews.
(b) A column of German soldiers headed for the front.
(c) A bomb run by the Soviets.
(d) A fire in one of the houses.
15. Who is Riva talking to at the start of Chapter 1?
(a) Her daughter Nancy.
(b) Her daughter Sophia.
(c) Her son Yumlek.
(d) Her son Joseph.
Short Answer Questions
1. Riva's conversation with her daughter, stirred memories for Riva about what year?
2. Where did the men Riva overheard gather?
3. How many children did Riva's mother have?
4. What did Riva's younger brother contract when he was 13?
5. What did Riva call the event she witnessed in Chapter 4?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)