* In Chapter 1, Riva talked with her daughter Nancy about how it was possible for the Nazis to kill so many people without anyone intervening.
* Riva reminisced of the events starting in 1939.
* Riva was living in Lodz, Poland, with her mother Nacha and 6 siblings.
* Riva and her family were renting an apartment from Mrs. Gruber who was nice and spoke Yiddish even though she was not Jewish.
* Nacha was a widow and ran a tailor factory.
* Riva and her brothers went to private schools.
* The Jewish men of Lodz started to talk about the Nazis and the war.
* The Grubers joined the Volksdeutsche and then the Nazi party.
* The Germans raided Riva's apartment and Mrs .Gruber refused to let her keep the stove.
* Riva's best friend was her 15 year old cousin Saba.
* Riva and Saba witnessed a beating by Germans of Jews, including a pregnant woman.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)