|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the night at Pyke's house end?
2. How many women are there in Pyke's group?
3. When Karim and Eleanor argue at Pyke's house, why is Karim upset?
4. Overall, the production of Karim's play is _________.
5. How does the subject of Karim's second characterization feel about being impersonated?
Short Essay Questions
1. The motif of manipulation comes to the forefront in Part Two, Chapter Thirteen. How has Pyke demonstrated manipulation at this point in the novel?
2. How has Haroon and Eva's relationship changed by Part Two, Chapter Ten?
3. After Karim and Charlie have lived together a few months in New York, what two things about Charlie make Karim want to get away from him?
4. How does Shadwell tell Karim to portray his character in The Jungle Book, and how does Karim react?
5. How has Charlie been influenced by punk?
6. Who does Karim decide to create his second character for the acting troupe assignment on, and what dilemma does that bring about?
7. What does Pyke open up to Karim about in Part Two, Chapter Twelve, and what surprising offer does he make?
8. When Pyke invites Karim and Eleanor to dinner, what does Karim have to consider and who does he go to for advice?
9. What is the final straw that lead Karim to leaving Pyke's action troupe and completely cutting them out of his life?
10. What does joining Pyke's acting troupe help Karim to realize about social class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women of The Buddha of Suburbia are quite strong in their own right. Compare and Contrast any two of the following female characters in how they demonstrated strength in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why The Buddha of Suburbia is classified as a coming of age story. Who is coming of age in this story, and what life challenges and experiences help that individual mature?
Essay Topic 3
How does Karim's understanding of love change and develop throughout the novel? Does he ever truly experience love?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)