|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karim betray Changez for the second time?
2. At the opening night in New York, what does Karim realize about Eleanor?
3. What happens when Karim asks Eleanor for money, per Terry's request?
4. How does Haroon feel about the new people Eva meets in Part Two, Chapter Ten and brings home for him to meet?
5. After a few months together in New York, what is the first thing that makes Karim want to get away from Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotional interaction occurs between Terry and Karim, spurred by Karim's opportunity to go to America?
2. What aspects of Karim and Changez make them character foils of one another and likely allow for their strong friendship?
3. How is Eleanor demonstrating a manipulative side by Part Two, Chapter Thirteen?
4. Who dies in Part Two, Chapter Fourteen, and how does he or she meet their demise?
5. How does Shadwell tell Karim to portray his character in The Jungle Book, and how does Karim react?
6. What activities does Pyke have his acting troupe do as they come together for the first time?
7. What does Pyke open up to Karim about in Part Two, Chapter Twelve, and what surprising offer does he make?
8. What does joining Pyke's acting troupe help Karim to realize about social class?
9. Who does Karim decide to create his second character for the acting troupe assignment on, and what dilemma does that bring about?
10. After returning to London, in what ways does Karim realize he is finally an adult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did the author use Irony in The Buddha of Suburbia? Explain at least two instances of irony in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
There is a motif of 'endings and new beginnings' throughout The Buddha of Suburbia. Discuss where and how this motif appears throughout the novel, and what purpose it serves the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Karim's kind and sympathetic side with his selfish side, providing multiple examples of both. How does each instance help Karim discover who he truly is? Which side won out in the end?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)