|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karim's mother admit to him at the end of Part One, Chapter One?
2. At the end of Part One, Chapter Six, Karim calls _______ to tell her that Marget will need her.
3. What type of relationship do Jamila and Changez have after marriage?
4. When Anwar's first business failed, what did he change it to?
5. What is Jean doing in town in Part One, Chapter Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can the relationship between Changez and Jamila be compared to the relationship between Haroon and Eva.
2. What are two ways Karim shows compassion or concern for others in Part One, Chapter Six?
3. What does punk music represent in Part Two, Chapter Nine?
4. What aspects in Part One, Chapter Four reveal details of Indian culture.
5. How do Charlie and Helen each demonstrate the motif of escaping?
6. What does the mention of Shadwell's career foreshadow?
7. Whose living conditions change in Part One, Chapter Seven.
8. How is the theme of 'life as an immigrant' displayed in Part One, Chapter Five?
9. How do Margaret and Ted each demonstrate the theme of 'identity' in Part One, Chapter Seven?
10. Why might it be so important to Karim that Haroon realize the full consequences of his choices and possible outcomes of his actions with Eva?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Karim's romantic relationships with the following characters:
Essay Topic 2
Manipulation is a major theme in The Buddha of Suburbia. Describe at least three different situations where one character is manipulating another. What is their motivation for manipulating someone else? Do the characters being manipulated realize what it happening? If so, why do they allow it to happen?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the birth of punk rock music in England during the era of this book, and the affect it has on Karim and Charley. Why would that music be attractive to them?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)