|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets a nosebleed at Eva's house?
2. By Part One, Chapter Eight, what is Haroon in high demand for?
3. What is Karim's mother's name?
4. Who is Changez?
5. How does Helen's dad feel about Karim?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of 'life as an immigrant' displayed in Part One, Chapter Five?
2. What does punk music represent in Part Two, Chapter Nine?
3. Where does Karim find Charlie during Haroon's speech in Part One, Chapter Three, and what is different about Charlie?
4. How do Changez and Karim react to each other upon meeting for the first time?
5. How is Changez introduced in the book, and what does Anwar feel about him after finally meeting him?
6. How is Karim introduced to readers?
7. How is the Eastern Philosophy shown to be effective in Part One, Chapter Four?
8. How does Karim and Shadwell feel about one another upon meeting for the first time?
9. How does Changez surprise Karim at Eva's housewarming party?
10. What are some examples of inherent racism in Part One, Chapter Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define 'character foil' and explain how each of the following characters acted as a foil to Karim.
Essay Topic 2
If Karim is the story's protagonist who or what is the antagonist? Is there more than one antagonist?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did the author use Irony in The Buddha of Suburbia? Explain at least two instances of irony in the novel.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)