|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Shadwell?
2. Who pays for the flat Jamila and Changez share?
3. What does Karim think about the individual he meets at the second party Haroom speaks at?
4. When Karim and Helen are walking together in Part One, Chapter Five, who did they run into?
5. While being intimate with Helen, who is Karim thinking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Changez introduced in the book, and what does Anwar feel about him after finally meeting him?
2. Why might it be so important to Karim that Haroon realize the full consequences of his choices and possible outcomes of his actions with Eva?
3. What scene does Karim witness while cycling in Part One, Chapter Five?
4. How do Charlie and Helen each demonstrate the motif of escaping?
5. Whose living conditions change in Part One, Chapter Seven.
6. How is Karim's sexual confusion demonstrated at the second gathering at Eva's that Haroon speaks at?
7. How are Karimi's feeling toward Chalie changing in Part One, Chapter Eight.
8. What is demonstrated in Part One, Chapter Four about gender roles in the Indian culture?
9. How does Karim and Shadwell feel about one another upon meeting for the first time?
10. How is the theme of 'life as an immigrant' displayed in Part One, Chapter Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Haroon and Anwar's struggle with their identity as an Indian emigrant.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in The Buddha of Suburbia struggle with idea of 'class' and where they fall in the social class ladder. Select three characters and describe their struggle with class throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did Kureishi use the literary technique of foreshadowing in The Buddha of Suburbia? Was it used effectively?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)