|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Haroon and Anwar sent to England?
2. How does Karim expect Changez to treat him at Eva's flat party?
3. What style of music describes the band that Charlie and Karim see together?
4. What is Changez's physical disability?
5. What happens after Ted and Haroon speak in Part One, Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of 'life as an immigrant' displayed in Part One, Chapter Five?
2. After Changez and Jamila are married, what is Changez's relationship like with Jamila, Anwar, and Karim?
3. How is Karim's sexual confusion demonstrated at the second gathering at Eva's that Haroon speaks at?
4. What does the mention of Shadwell's career foreshadow?
5. How do Changez and Karim react to each other upon meeting for the first time?
6. What exchanges occur between Karim and Helen in Part One, Chapter Three?
7. How is Changez introduced in the book, and what does Anwar feel about him after finally meeting him?
8. How is the Eastern Philosophy shown to be effective in Part One, Chapter Four?
9. How do Margaret and Ted each demonstrate the theme of 'identity' in Part One, Chapter Seven?
10. What part of his father's history does Karim share with readers in Part One, Chapter Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a motif of 'endings and new beginnings' throughout The Buddha of Suburbia. Discuss where and how this motif appears throughout the novel, and what purpose it serves the plot.
Essay Topic 2
If Karim is the story's protagonist who or what is the antagonist? Is there more than one antagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why The Buddha of Suburbia is classified as a coming of age story. Who is coming of age in this story, and what life challenges and experiences help that individual mature?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)