|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the man from who is arranged to marry Jamila?
2. What is Charlie doing with a girl in the garden in Part One, Chapter Three?
(a) Fighting with her.
(b) Kissing her.
(c) Holding her hand.
(d) Reading her poetry.
3. When Karim and Helen are walking together in Part One, Chapter Five, who did they run into?
4. Why does Karim fail all of his exams?
(a) He did not study enough.
(b) He does not show up for them.
(c) He is sick and can't concentrate.
(d) He cannot keep his mind from wandering to Jamila.
5. While being intimate with Helen, who is Karim thinking about?
(b) His mind is blank.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Changez realizes Jamila will never be intimate with him, what does he do?
2. What decade does the novel begin in?
3. What is Jean doing in town in Part One, Chapter Three?
4. Why does Karim barely recognize Charlie in Part One, Chapter Three?
5. What does Karim worry about while Eva is having the house fixed up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Changez and Karim react to each other upon meeting for the first time?
2. How is the theme of class differences introduced in Part One, Chapter One?
3. Why might it be so important to Karim that Haroon realize the full consequences of his choices and possible outcomes of his actions with Eva?
4. How is the theme of 'life as an immigrant' displayed in Part One, Chapter Five?
5. How is Karim's sexual confusion demonstrated at the second gathering at Eva's that Haroon speaks at?
6. What success does Karim experience at the end of Part Two, Chapter Nine?
7. What exchanges occur between Karim and Helen in Part One, Chapter Three?
8. How is Jean described in Part One, Chapter Three?
9. How does Changez surprise Karim at Eva's housewarming party?
10. What does the mention of Shadwell's career foreshadow?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)