|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Karim's mother and father meet?
(a) At the marketplace.
(b) Through a friend.
(c) At a dance.
(d) In school.
2. Who arrives at Eva's flat party with Jamila and Changez?
(a) A stranger.
3. What was Anwar's first business?
(a) An art supplies store.
(b) An appliance store.
(c) A coin shop.
(d) A toy shop.
4. Who pays for the flat Jamila and Changez share?
(a) Jamila's uncle.
5. How does Changez actually act toward Karim at Eva's flat party?
(a) Explosively angry.
(b) He ignores Karim.
(c) Quite calmly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who/what does Jean live with?
2. In Part One, Chapter Five Haroon admits to Karim that he _______ Eva.
3. What is the first reason Karim is excited to go to Eva's house at the beginning of the book?
4. What does Helen suggest Karim do about Jamila's marriage situation?
5. What decade does the novel begin in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects in Part One, Chapter Four reveal details of Indian culture.
2. How does Changez surprise Karim at Eva's housewarming party?
3. How is the Eastern Philosophy shown to be effective in Part One, Chapter Four?
4. What scene does Karim witness while cycling in Part One, Chapter Five?
5. How did Anwar and Haroon react differently to the challenges they faced when moving to England for school?
6. How is the theme of 'life as an immigrant' displayed in Part One, Chapter Five?
7. What success does Karim experience at the end of Part Two, Chapter Nine?
8. What is demonstrated in Part One, Chapter Four about gender roles in the Indian culture?
9. Whose living conditions change in Part One, Chapter Seven.
10. How is Karim introduced to readers?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)