|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jeeta?
(a) Anwar's wife.
(b) Haroom's Aunt.
(c) Anwar's sister.
(d) Haroom's wife.
2. Who is Changez?
(a) Jamila's cousin.
(b) Karim's friend from school.
(c) Karim's cousin.
(d) Jamila's fiancé.
3. What is Shinko's profession?
(a) A tailor.
(b) A prostitute.
(c) A bartender.
(d) She is unemployed.
4. Why were Haroon and Anwar sent to England?
(a) To find wives.
(b) As a punishment.
(c) To be educated.
(d) To work.
5. What activity does Haroom lead people in while speaking at Eva's house?
(c) Name games to introduce people.
(d) A question and answer period.
6. Who is Ted looking to pick a fight with at the beginning of Part One, Chapter Four?
(b) Any one.
7. Why does Karim fail all of his exams?
(a) He did not study enough.
(b) He is sick and can't concentrate.
(c) He cannot keep his mind from wandering to Jamila.
(d) He does not show up for them.
8. Where did Karim's mother and father meet?
(a) Through a friend.
(b) At a dance.
(c) At the marketplace.
(d) In school.
9. Where did Haroon grow up?
10. While exercising to clear his mind, what does Karim find Haroon doing strangely?
(a) Talking to a strange child.
(b) Speaking on a pay phone.
(c) Purchasing something from a street vendor.
(d) Talking to a strange man.
11. How are Karim and Charlie both feeling in the city at the beginning of Part Two, Chapter Nine?
(c) In love.
12. What does Charlie do at the end of Part One, Chapter Eight?
(a) Breaks up his band and disappears.
(b) Kisses Karim.
(c) Yells at Karim and threatens to beat him up.
(d) Writes and performs a new hit song.
13. What does Haroon have to say about Jamila's marriage situation?
(a) He says she should obey her father's wishes and go through with it.
(b) He gives a mystical response with dual meaning.
(c) He offers to marry her instead.
(d) He said she should stand up to her father and refuse the marriage.
14. How long do things seem to go back to normal after Karim meets with Jean in Part One, Chapter Three?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) A few hours.
(c) A few days.
(d) A few months.
15. What does Changez say to Jamila when they first meet?
(a) "Do no look me in the eyes."
(b) "I love you."
(c) "You look like a princess."
(d) They do not talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. On their way to Eva's house in Part One, Chapter One, where do Haroom and Karim stop?
2. What does Karim worry about while Eva is having the house fixed up?
3. At the end of Part One, Chapter Six, Haroon announces to Karim that he is ____________.
4. In Part Two, Chapter Nine, Karim finds the city to be _________.
5. How does Changez actually act toward Karim at Eva's flat party?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)