|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie do at the end of Part One, Chapter Eight?
(a) Yells at Karim and threatens to beat him up.
(b) Writes and performs a new hit song.
(c) Breaks up his band and disappears.
(d) Kisses Karim.
2. When Karim and Helen are walking together in Part One, Chapter Five, who did they run into?
3. What does Haroon have to say about Jamila's marriage situation?
(a) He offers to marry her instead.
(b) He says she should obey her father's wishes and go through with it.
(c) He said she should stand up to her father and refuse the marriage.
(d) He gives a mystical response with dual meaning.
4. Karim is half Indian and half _______.
5. How much time passes between Part One, Chapter Three and Chapter Four?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two days.
6. On their way to Eva's house in Part One, Chapter One, where do Haroom and Karim stop?
(a) A shoe shine station.
(b) The marketplace.
(c) A wine shop.
(d) The local pub.
7. Who is Changez?
(a) Karim's cousin.
(b) Jamila's fiancé.
(c) Jamila's cousin.
(d) Karim's friend from school.
8. Who is Ted looking to pick a fight with at the beginning of Part One, Chapter Four?
(d) Any one.
9. How does Karim see Jamila, in relation to himself?
(a) He sees her as less intelligent than he.
(b) He wants her to obey him.
(c) He sees her as an equal.
(d) He sees her as more advanced than he.
10. How long do things seem to go back to normal after Karim meets with Jean in Part One, Chapter Three?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few hours.
(c) A few months.
(d) A few weeks.
11. After Changez and Jamila are married, what type of relationship do Karim and Changez form?
(a) They hate one another.
(b) They ignore one another.
(c) They are polite in front of Jamila, but really hate one another.
(d) They are good friends.
12. What is the first reason Karim is excited to go to Eva's house at the beginning of the book?
(a) He is fascinated by Eva.
(b) He thinks there will be free food there.
(c) He is not really excited.
(d) He wants to meet Eva's sister.
13. How does Helen's dad feel about Karim?
(a) He thinks of Karim as the son he never had.
(b) He thinks Karim is someone else.
(c) He strongly dislikes Karim and calls him racial slurs.
(d) He dislikes Karim, but keeps his opinion to himself.
14. What happens when Karim asks Margaret to draw him?
(a) She refuses to even try.
(b) She draws Haroon.
(c) She agrees to do it.
(d) She drawn him as a female.
15. What style of music describes the band that Charlie and Karim see together?
(d) Classic Rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karim expect Changez to treat him at Eva's flat party?
2. What is Karim's first impression of Shadwell?
3. What do Karim and Helen exchange?
4. How does Karim feel at the end of Part One, Chapter Eight?
5. In what location does the novel open?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)