|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimatum does Laura give her congregation in Book Six?
2. Which country is the visiting preacher Kim Joon from in Book Five?
3. What is Hugh's new baseball nickname that is given to him while pitching for the Tugboats?
4. How many years in prison is Everett sentenced to for draft dodging?
5. What favor does Irwin ask of his family while he is in Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What piece of pitching advice does Freddy recite at Hugh's wake?
2. What is the one positive thing that Irwin writes to Bet about during his first week in Vietnam?
3. How is Peter afraid of hurting his father in regard to baseball in Book Four?
4. What does Kincaid dream about on their journey home in Book Six that startles and scares him?
5. What secret does Bet confide to Everett in her first letter in Book Six?
6. What position does Ty Daniels and the rest of the Portland Tug team take towards Hugh when he throws his last wild pitch and leaves the team?
7. Why does Hugh go to Elder Babcock's house in Book Five?
8. What reason does Natasha give to Everett for not wanting to sleep after their coffee date in Book Four?
9. What reason does Peter give Laura for taking a job at the mill in Chapter 5?
10. Why does Everett think Myshkin is a prodigy in literature and art?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The Brothers K, Duncan uses imagery as a metaphor for the plot and character development. Give three specific examples of these metaphors and how they relate specific actions in the plot and/or character development. Discuss why or why not they are effective as literary tools augmenting the general action.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Laura's views of her religion and her fervor towards it change drastically; however, Hugh's views of her religion remain somewhat the same. Discuss the dichotomy of how these views differ and how they reflect upon the character that holds them.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship of marriage is evident in several different couples in The Brothers K. Compare and contrast Hugh's and Laura's marriage with Irwin's and Linda's marriage or Uncle Marvin's and Aunt Mary Jane's marriage. Point out similarities and differences and what those details infer about the characters in those relationships.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)