|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scheme does T Bar having for making millions of dollars?
2. Who begins taking care of Hugh at the end of his life.
3. Which country is the visiting preacher Kim Joon from in Book Five?
4. How many pages is the letter Everett writes to Tasha and mails to her grandmother's address?
5. After whom is Nash, the baby of Irwin and Linda, named?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Everett witness that causes his epiphany and prompts him to pack up everything and return to his family in Camas?
2. What effect does Everett's glasses have upon his baseball game?
3. What horrible event in Linda's past makes her afraid to live alone after Irwin leaves for the army?
4. How is Peter afraid of hurting his father in regard to baseball in Book Four?
5. Why does Everett think Myshkin is a prodigy in literature and art?
6. What causes Winnifred, or Freddy, to become upset at Sunday School with Mrs. Babcock and to begin quoting Muhammad?
7. When Everett receives Natasha's letter proclaiming her love, how does he respond?
8. What does Laura plan to do at church in Chapter 8, and what ends up happening instead?
9. After going into hiding after burning his draft card, which event causes Everett to question his identity and value?
10. When Irwin is released from the hospital in Book Six, what is his condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Duncan in The Brothers K. Since this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Duncan selected the view he used. What influences did the point of view have on the development of the book's themes? Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel Kincaid makes this statement about Hugh, "Papa didn't cures: his whole art is control." Explain what Kincaid meant by this statement and how it coincides with the character of Hugh in the novel. Do you believe it is an accurate statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of love is central to The Brothers K and has many manifestations. Compare and contrast two approaches to the idea of "what is love" as evidenced by the following characters:
a) Hugh's love for Laura throughout their courtship and marriage
b) Irwin's love of Jesus and God
c) Everett's love for Tasha
d) Bet and Freddy's love for Grandawma
e) Kincaid's love for Hugh
f) Laura's love for Everett
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)