|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of classes does Irwin sign up for at the community college after Hugh's death?
2. What addition to the Chance family and friends from Camas intimidates Major Keys?
3. Who opens their own post office box for a private correspondence with Everett?
4. Which teacher mentors Peter in baseball at the high school?
5. What ultimatum does Laura give her congregation in Book Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Winnifred, or Freddy, to become upset at Sunday School with Mrs. Babcock and to begin quoting Muhammad?
2. What does Laura plan to do at church in Chapter 8, and what ends up happening instead?
3. What secret does Bet confide to Everett in her first letter in Book Six?
4. What does Everett send to Irwin as a "homeopathic dose of sanity and antidote to Army Brain" in Book Five?
5. Why does Hugh go to Elder Babcock's house in Book Five?
6. Why does Major Keys think that Irwin is a difficult and stubborn case?
7. How is Everett's attitude in regards to his imprisonment?
8. What secret about Linda does Bet reveal to Kincaid in Book Five?
9. What is the one positive thing that Irwin writes to Bet about during his first week in Vietnam?
10. What does Kincaid dream about on their journey home in Book Six that startles and scares him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the point of view utilized by Duncan in The Brothers K. Since this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Duncan selected the view he used. What influences did the point of view have on the development of the book's themes? Make sure to use specific textual evidence to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship of marriage is evident in several different couples in The Brothers K. Compare and contrast Hugh's and Laura's marriage with Irwin's and Linda's marriage or Uncle Marvin's and Aunt Mary Jane's marriage. Point out similarities and differences and what those details infer about the characters in those relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Duncan utilizes the literary device of hyperbole extensively throughout The Brothers K. Using at least three textual examples, describe how Duncan uses hyperbole, how it contributes to characterizations or pacing, and whether or not it is effective.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)