|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the mastermind of operation squeeze?
2. Where is Irwin transferred to back in the United States?
3. Why have Irwin and Linda been unable to marry earlier in the novel?
4. What addition to the Chance family and friends from Camas intimidates Major Keys?
5. What surprises Everett about his friends when he goes into hiding after burning his draft card?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Irwin is released from the hospital in Book Six, what is his condition?
2. What position does Ty Daniels and the rest of the Portland Tug team take towards Hugh when he throws his last wild pitch and leaves the team?
3. What does Laura plan to do at church in Chapter 8, and what ends up happening instead?
4. What secret does Bet confide to Everett in her first letter in Book Six?
5. What event heals the relationship between Everett and his mother in Book Five?
6. What secret about Linda does Bet reveal to Kincaid in Book Five?
7. What is the one positive thing that Irwin writes to Bet about during his first week in Vietnam?
8. After going into hiding after burning his draft card, which event causes Everett to question his identity and value?
9. What does Everett send to Irwin as a "homeopathic dose of sanity and antidote to Army Brain" in Book Five?
10. How does Natasha respond to Everett's public debate with Dr. Gurtzner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of setting within The Brothers K. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
In the Brothers K, Duncan highlights several different strong female figures who go outside of the norm of typical gender roles of their time. Using at least two main characters from the novel, discuss what commentary Duncan is making about gender roles, particularly in regard to women in the United States.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dramatic structure of The Brothers K. Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action, and denouement.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)