|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hugh request to be buried?
2. What reason does Natasha give for leaving Everett?
3. What is the name of Everett's weekly column for the university's newspaper?
4. What does Irwin send to his mother when he believes he will not be coming home from Vietnam?
5. What scheme does T Bar having for making millions of dollars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hugh and Kincaid do to help them sleep the night before they are going to free Irwin in Book Six?
2. Why does Irwin quit the baseball team?
3. How is Peter afraid of hurting his father in regard to baseball in Book Four?
4. How does Natasha respond to Everett's public debate with Dr. Gurtzner?
5. What secret about Linda does Bet reveal to Kincaid in Book Five?
6. Why does Peter refuse to buy back his manuscripts in Book Five?
7. What reason does Peter give Laura for taking a job at the mill in Chapter 5?
8. What does Everett send to Irwin as a "homeopathic dose of sanity and antidote to Army Brain" in Book Five?
9. What does Everett witness that causes his epiphany and prompts him to pack up everything and return to his family in Camas?
10. What horrible event in Linda's past makes her afraid to live alone after Irwin leaves for the army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel there are several figures that could serve as the archetypal "hero" figure. Using specific examples from the text, identify one character that could be considered a hero archetype and describe how Duncan demonstrates this in the novel. Be sure to discuss whether or not Duncan is effective. Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Duncan in The Brothers K is the use of paradox and irony. Give examples of where Duncan has employed verbal or situational irony and discuss in detail how this use of irony has furthered the plot, developed characters, or strengthened a theme.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel Kincaid makes this statement about Hugh, "Papa didn't cures: his whole art is control." Explain what Kincaid meant by this statement and how it coincides with the character of Hugh in the novel. Do you believe it is an accurate statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)