|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Chance boys hide to watch their father's pitching attempts and philosophize together?
2. Where is Grandawma from?
3. How does Mama react to Irwin's prayer at the supper table in Book Two?
4. What does Officer Hervano give to Irwin after he rescues the dog in Book Two?
5. What does Kincaid's piggy bank resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Irwin cuss around Everett?
2. What do the Twins do for Grandawma as a token of their love and affection after she dies?
3. What trade does Doctor Franken offer to make with the Chance family in Book Three?
4. As Peter begins to ask and contemplate deep questions in Book Two, where does he turn to seek answers?
5. How does Hugh compare devotion to professional baseball to devotion to religion?
6. Why do some players call Papa "Smoke"?
7. How does Peter's appearance change after Laura stops doing his domestic duties?
8. What is revealed about the role that Everett and Irwin play within the Chance family during their conversations at the hedge in Book Two?
9. How does Laura respond to the apology and gifts from Peter, Everett, and Kincaid in Book Three?
10. What reason does Hugh give to the boys for Laura's devotion to her religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of setting within The Brothers K. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of themes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
In The Brothers K, Duncan utilizes many popular historical baseball figures as characters and anecdotes throughout the novel. Using at least three examples of these figures from the text, discuss how the inclusion of these characters affects the plot and directs the themes of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Duncan utilizes the literary device of hyperbole extensively throughout The Brothers K. Using at least three textual examples, describe how Duncan uses hyperbole, how it contributes to characterizations or pacing, and whether or not it is effective.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)