|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relaxation technique does Peter practice in his closet in Book Three?
2. When Hugh plays ball as entertainment for the troops what does he not like about his situation?
3. What ongoing activity does Irwin begin with Doc Franken while the Chance boys work on landscaping his lot?
4. After the accident, who sends forty dollars to Hugh for him to use to buy himself a gift?
5. What pitch does Durham teach Hugh during his tenure in Oklahoma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hugh wear while practicing pitching in the shed?
2. As the Chance boys watch their father practice pitching and working against his handicap, what do they learn?
3. What do the boys make a pact to pray for at the end of Book Two?
4. What political figure does Kincaid compare Laura and "her Bible" to in Book Three and why?
5. How does Everett's appearance change after Laura stops doing his domestic duties?
6. How does Peter's appearance change after Laura stops doing his domestic duties?
7. What reason does Hugh give to the boys for Laura's devotion to her religion?
8. What is Everett's opinion on miracles as described in Book One?
9. Why do some players call Papa "Smoke"?
10. How do the boys name the pitches their father practices in Book Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The Brothers K, Duncan uses imagery as a metaphor for the plot and character development. Give three specific examples of these metaphors and how they relate specific actions in the plot and/or character development. Discuss why or why not they are effective as literary tools augmenting the general action.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship of marriage is evident in several different couples in The Brothers K. Compare and contrast Hugh's and Laura's marriage with Irwin's and Linda's marriage or Uncle Marvin's and Aunt Mary Jane's marriage. Point out similarities and differences and what those details infer about the characters in those relationships.
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest literary tools employed by Duncan in The Brothers K is the use of foreshadowing. Give examples of where Duncan has employed foreshadowing and discuss in detail how this use of foreshadowing furthered the plot, developed character, or strengthened a theme.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)