|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school office does Everett hold his senior year in High School?
2. Where do the Chance boys hide to watch their father's pitching attempts and philosophize together?
3. What is the name of the dog that Irwin rescues in Book Two?
4. What event prompts Hugh Chance to start smoking?
5. Who is Ellen G. White?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Hugh give to the boys for Laura's devotion to her religion?
2. What is Everett's opinion on miracles as described in Book One?
3. What freedom does Laura grant Peter, Everett, and Kincaid after the Psalm War in Book Three?
4. How does Everett's appearance change after Laura stops doing his domestic duties?
5. What did Hugh wear while practicing pitching in the shed?
6. As the Chance boys watch their father practice pitching and working against his handicap, what do they learn?
7. As Peter begins to ask and contemplate deep questions in Book Two, where does he turn to seek answers?
8. Why doesn't Kincaid go to church with his Mama and siblings in Book One, Chapter 2?
9. How did Papa lose his thumb?
10. What political figure does Kincaid compare Laura and "her Bible" to in Book Three and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Brothers K, Duncan highlights several different strong female figures who go outside of the norm of typical gender roles of their time. Using at least two main characters from the novel, discuss what commentary Duncan is making about gender roles, particularly in regard to women in the United States.
Essay Topic 2
In The Brothers K a lot of focus is given to the issues of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Duncan highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to good versus evil.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout The Brothers K, Duncan uses imagery as a metaphor for the plot and character development. Give three specific examples of these metaphors and how they relate specific actions in the plot and/or character development. Discuss why or why not they are effective as literary tools augmenting the general action.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)