|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Irwin lose his rain slicker in Book Two?
(a) He leaves it at the school.
(b) It is stolen from his locker after football practice.
(c) He loses it playing pool.
(d) He gives it to a homeless person on his walk home.
2. In Book One, which guest on The Ed Sullivan Show is liked by Laura and Irwin?
(a) Perry Como.
(b) Frank Sinatra.
(c) Maurice Chevalier.
(d) A ventriloquist.
3. Why does Hugh build a shed behind their Camas home?
(a) To have a place to practice pitching.
(b) To create excess storage for his growing family.
(c) To have a place for his tools.
(d) To have a place for woodworking.
4. Which classmate of Kincaid's has a hair lip that causes a speech impediment?
5. Who is Ellen G. White?
(a) A religious lady admired by the Adventists.
(b) A neighbor of the Chance family.
(c) An expert on thumb surgery.
(d) A baseball commentator.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kincaid has a nightmare in Book One, how does Hugh help him get back to sleep?
2. What baseball position does Everett play in Book Two?
3. To apologize to Laura in Book Three, what does Everett give her?
4. How does Laura punish Peter, Everett, and Kincaid after the Psalm War?
5. According to Hugh, what does it mean when a catcher "frames a pitch"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hugh wear while practicing pitching in the shed?
2. What is revealed about the role that Everett and Irwin play within the Chance family during their conversations at the hedge in Book Two?
3. Why do some players call Papa "Smoke"?
4. How does Hugh compare devotion to professional baseball to devotion to religion?
5. How does Peter's appearance change after Laura stops doing his domestic duties?
6. Why doesn't Kincaid go to church with his Mama and siblings in Book One, Chapter 2?
7. What trade does Doctor Franken offer to make with the Chance family in Book Three?
8. What is Peter's opinion on miracles?
9. Why does Hugh tell Kincaid it is nonsense to paint a strike zone in his practice bullpen?
10. How does Laura react to the ultimatum that Hugh gives her at the end of Book Three about her treatment of Peter, Everett, and Kincaid?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)