|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hugh tell Kincaid to do to practice for their fishing trip in Book One?
(a) Practice tying flies in the living room.
(b) Practice casting outside.
(c) Practice concentrating, but concentrate on the baseball game.
(d) Practice reeling in his line in the kitchen.
2. Who invents the game "Famous Scientists"?
(c) The twins.
3. What event prompts Hugh Chance to start smoking?
(a) The death of his father.
(b) The death of his dog.
(c) His first no-hitter.
(d) Getting kicked off the high school baseball team.
4. What was Hugh's father's profession?
(a) He was a mathematics professor.
(b) He was a mechanic.
(c) He was a professional baseball player.
(d) He was a baseball scout.
5. What does Everett call Hugh's fastball?
(a) The scorcher.
(b) The heater.
(c) The rocket.
(d) The sinker.
6. Where is Grandawma from?
7. What types of books does Peter enjoy reading?
(a) Religious books.
(b) Scientific books.
(c) Books about baseball.
(d) Books about World War I.
8. What does the scarlet neon sign that hangs in Everett's room say?
9. In Book Two, how many miles does Hugh start to run several times a week?
10. What book contains the story that Peter tells his brother at the hedge in Book Two?
(a) The Grapes of Wrath.
(b) The Mahabharata.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The Ramayana.
11. What magazine publishes Everett's school paper "Junk Genius"?
(a) Time Magazine.
(c) Sporting Digest.
(d) The Readers Digest.
12. After the accident, who sends forty dollars to Hugh for him to use to buy himself a gift?
(a) His co-workers from the mill.
(b) The members of Laura's church.
(c) His neighborhood pools money, and Roy sends it.
(d) Gale Durham, manager of a baseball team.
13. What is Irwin's nickname among his family?
14. Why does Brother Beal call Irwin, "Iron Man Irwin"?
(a) Irwin is solemn and doesn't use many facial expressions.
(b) Irwin collects nails.
(c) Irwin is so stubborn.
(d) Irwin has an excellent memory for scriptures.
15. What does Grandawma eat for her last meal?
(a) Carrot soup.
(b) A steak.
(c) Mashed potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hugh, what does it mean when a catcher "frames a pitch"?
2. What does the Chance family call Hugh's practice in the shed?
3. Who is the first to jump between Everett and Laura when Laura starts striking Everett in Book Two?
4. What is Peter's reaction to the film shown at school about bombs?
5. According to Kincaid, what doe WP stand for?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)