|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Everett call Hugh's fastball?
(a) The scorcher.
(b) The rocket.
(c) The heater.
(d) The sinker.
2. Why does drinking terrify Laura?
(a) It is a much preached against sin in her church.
(b) She is a recovering alcoholic herself.
(c) All of the bums on the street were drunks.
(d) Her father was a drunk.
3. What college does Everett attend on a work/study scholarship?
(b) Camas Community College.
(d) University of Washington.
4. Where does Hugh go to play ball in Book One?
(a) A park named Battle Ground.
(b) An undisclosed location.
(c) An empty lot across the street.
(d) The backyard.
5. What football position does Irwin play?
(b) Defensive tackle.
(d) Wide receiver.
6. Which child has contacted Doc Franken to bring him to the Chance home in Book Three?
7. Where is Grandawma from?
8. What does the Chance family call Hugh's practice in the shed?
(b) Papa's prayin'.
(c) Pitching Practice.
9. What song does Hugh compare "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" to in Book Two?
(a) Happy Birthday.
(b) Amazing Grace.
(c) Stand Up for Jesus.
(d) Silent Night.
10. Who is Grandawma's hero?
(a) Charles Darwin.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) Babe Ruth.
(d) Charles Dillon.
11. How does Mama react to Irwin's prayer at the supper table in Book Two?
(a) She scolds Irwin.
(b) She sheds a few tears of joy.
(c) She remains plain faced and doesn't react to the prayer.
(d) She runs into the kitchen closet and laughs.
12. Who invents the game "Famous Scientists"?
(c) The twins.
13. What three things do Laura and Hugh fight about in Book One that prompts her to take the twins up to Spokane?
(a) Medical care, religion, and disciplining the boys.
(b) Money, religion, and beer.
(c) Laundry, money, and what color to paint the house.
(d) Baseball, television, and money.
14. What magazine publishes Everett's school paper "Junk Genius"?
(a) The Readers Digest.
(b) Time Magazine.
(c) Sporting Digest.
15. After the accident, who sends forty dollars to Hugh for him to use to buy himself a gift?
(a) The members of Laura's church.
(b) His co-workers from the mill.
(c) His neighborhood pools money, and Roy sends it.
(d) Gale Durham, manager of a baseball team.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who witnesses the death of Grandawma?
2. Who contacts Durham about Hugh's pitching ability after his surgery?
3. How does Everett earn his first high school suspension?
4. To what church does Laura belong?
5. What type of employment does Kincaid take on to earn money in Book Three?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)