|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book is written in which language?
2. Who receives a letter from Backman?
3. Which of the following is the assassin's best skill?
4. What is the name of the kid on the scooter?
5. Francesca's husband suffers from which disease?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes it obvious that Backman's safe house is no longer safe? What does Backman do?
2. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
3. What is Francesca's part in Backman's escape plan? Is it a good plan?
4. What happens to Backman at the bus station? How does Backman manage to get away?
5. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
6. At this point in the story what is Backman's biggest obstacle to going out on his own?
7. Describe the scene on the train. What is the benefit of having the unpleasant woman in the same car?
8. What does Backman do once he arrives in the US?
9. Discuss Backman's tour with Francesca. What does Backman see?
10. What is the status of the FBI investigation into the offshore bank account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The US government strikes more than one deal with Backman. The first is a pardon with the hopes that Backman will confess to the whereabouts of JAM. The plan fails. The second and biggest deal involves Backman's freedom and safety in exchange for the JAM computer disks. Discuss Backman's deals with the government. Who made the deals on behalf of the government? Who gave the deal maker authorization? Why and how was the first deal flawed? What should have been done differently? Why is the government allowed to pardon Backman if he committed a federal crime? Why does the US government make the second deal? Do you think Backman is deserving of either deal? Explain. If the government made the last deal with Backman, why does Backman doubt his safety? Why does Backman think that the government will continue to track and perhaps try to kill him? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Many different agencies play a part in the story. There are several from foreign countries such as England, Israel, Iraq, and China. The American agencies include the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Justice Department, the National Security Administration (NSA), the Pentagon, the White House, and some that remain unnamed. Write a description of each agency, what it does, and why it is involved in the Backman and/or JAM situation. Also discuss which are also involved in the bribe scandal. Choose two to compare and contrast for a better understanding of their parts in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Clayburn's role in the story. Who is Clayburn? Why is he affiliated with the story? Is he still an active part of the Washington scene? How does Backman know Clayburn? Are the men friends, colleagues or something else? Why does Backman want to get in touch with Clayburn? How is Pratt able to find the man? What is Clayburn's response to Pratt's request? Does Clayburn meet with Backman? What is Clayburn's affiliation with the Pentagon? Does Clayburn do as he is asked? Explain.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)