|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the bag always carried by Marco?
2. Marco tells Francesca about which of the following?
3. What item does Marco obtain from his helper?
4. Where does Marco go to try to escape?
5. What currency is used most widely in Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
2. Describe the scene in which Backman is approached by two FBI agents.
3. How does Backman's plan change once he arrives in Switzerland?
4. What happens that makes it obvious that Backman's safe house is no longer safe? What does Backman do?
5. Describe the scene on the train. What is the benefit of having the unpleasant woman in the same car?
6. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
7. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
8. Discuss Backman's tour with Francesca. What does Backman see?
9. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
10. What is Backman's most prized possession at this point? What happens to the item?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The US government strikes more than one deal with Backman. The first is a pardon with the hopes that Backman will confess to the whereabouts of JAM. The plan fails. The second and biggest deal involves Backman's freedom and safety in exchange for the JAM computer disks. Discuss Backman's deals with the government. Who made the deals on behalf of the government? Who gave the deal maker authorization? Why and how was the first deal flawed? What should have been done differently? Why is the government allowed to pardon Backman if he committed a federal crime? Why does the US government make the second deal? Do you think Backman is deserving of either deal? Explain. If the government made the last deal with Backman, why does Backman doubt his safety? Why does Backman think that the government will continue to track and perhaps try to kill him? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
Essay Topic 3
Many different agencies play a part in the story. There are several from foreign countries such as England, Israel, Iraq, and China. The American agencies include the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Justice Department, the National Security Administration (NSA), the Pentagon, the White House, and some that remain unnamed. Write a description of each agency, what it does, and why it is involved in the Backman and/or JAM situation. Also discuss which are also involved in the bribe scandal. Choose two to compare and contrast for a better understanding of their parts in the story.
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)