|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the journalist contact for information?
2. What is a haberdashery?
3. Marco quickly made his way to which location?
4. On the way down the hill Francesca injures her ______.
5. Who is Marco's lawyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
2. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
3. What does Backman do once he arrives in the US?
4. Describe the scene in which Backman is approached by two FBI agents.
5. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
6. What is the status of the FBI investigation into the offshore bank account?
7. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
8. Discuss Backman's tour with Francesca. What does Backman see?
9. What other groups are interested in Backman? Which group is not?
10. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
Essay Topic 3
Joel Backman was not the only one to suffer from the trial that sent him to prison for twenty years. Neal Backman and Carl Pratt were also charged. Pratt returned to his law firm but Neal was left without a job. Discuss Neal's downfall. What charges were brought against Neal? Was Neal prosecuted for his part in the JAM deal? Explain. What did Backman do to save his son from going to prison? What kind of reception did Neal receive from his company after the trial was over? Why was it so difficult for Neal to get a job? Where does Neal end up? What is Lisa's opinion of the whole situation? Do you think Neal has made a full recovery from the trauma surrounding his father's arrest and imprisonment? Explain.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)