|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marco go to try to escape?
2. What does Marco do that blatantly goes against Luigi's rules?
3. Marco knows that he cannot be arrested without _____.
4. What was the name of the clothing store Marco visited?
5. Where does Neal send the phone and the money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What items does Neal purchase for his father? How will Neal get the package to Backman without being found out by the operatives?
2. What happens when Neal receives the letter from his father? What does Neal do next? What does Lisa think of the plan?
3. What happens to Backman at the bus station? How does Backman manage to get away?
4. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
5. Describe the scene on the train. What is the benefit of having the unpleasant woman in the same car?
6. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
7. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
8. Discuss the involvement of Mossad at this point in the story. Why are the Mossad dangerous?
9. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
10. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Clayburn's role in the story. Who is Clayburn? Why is he affiliated with the story? Is he still an active part of the Washington scene? How does Backman know Clayburn? Are the men friends, colleagues or something else? Why does Backman want to get in touch with Clayburn? How is Pratt able to find the man? What is Clayburn's response to Pratt's request? Does Clayburn meet with Backman? What is Clayburn's affiliation with the Pentagon? Does Clayburn do as he is asked? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Many different agencies play a part in the story. There are several from foreign countries such as England, Israel, Iraq, and China. The American agencies include the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Justice Department, the National Security Administration (NSA), the Pentagon, the White House, and some that remain unnamed. Write a description of each agency, what it does, and why it is involved in the Backman and/or JAM situation. Also discuss which are also involved in the bribe scandal. Choose two to compare and contrast for a better understanding of their parts in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Write a final report on the Backman case. The report should be at least 1000 words. You may choose one of the following as a source for the report: Luigi, CIA, NSA, or the FBI. Include the existence and importance of Neptune and JAM, predictions about the usage of the products, Backman's involvement, government actions and involvement, plus the presence of other entities such as Mossad.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)