|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marco meet up with his new tutor?
2. Who is Marco's lawyer?
3. What nationality is the store clerk?
4. After leaving Bologna, Marco makes his first stop in which Italian town?
5. What type of phone does Neal purchase?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes it obvious that Backman's safe house is no longer safe? What does Backman do?
2. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
3. Discuss the involvement of Mossad at this point in the story. Why are the Mossad dangerous?
4. What is Francesca's part in Backman's escape plan? Is it a good plan?
5. Who is Dan Sandberg? What is his interest in the case? Who does Sandberg contact for information?
6. What other groups are interested in Backman? Which group is not?
7. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
8. What happens when Neal receives the letter from his father? What does Neal do next? What does Lisa think of the plan?
9. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
10. Describe the scene on the train. What is the benefit of having the unpleasant woman in the same car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different agencies play a part in the story. There are several from foreign countries such as England, Israel, Iraq, and China. The American agencies include the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Justice Department, the National Security Administration (NSA), the Pentagon, the White House, and some that remain unnamed. Write a description of each agency, what it does, and why it is involved in the Backman and/or JAM situation. Also discuss which are also involved in the bribe scandal. Choose two to compare and contrast for a better understanding of their parts in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story from the point of view of Joel Backman 5 years from now. Where do you think Backman will be? Will he remain in Italy? Will he return to the US as promised? Will Backman ever start up the lobbying firm? Also examine Backman's future family relationships and interaction with Francesca.
Essay Topic 3
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)