|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marco do that blatantly goes against Luigi's rules?
2. Marco tells Francesca about which of the following?
3. What is the name of the journalist introduced in Chapter 18?
4. Francesca's husband suffers from which disease?
5. Who is Marco's lawyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Francesca's part in Backman's escape plan? Is it a good plan?
2. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
3. Describe the scene in which Backman is approached by two FBI agents.
4. What happens when Neal receives the letter from his father? What does Neal do next? What does Lisa think of the plan?
5. How does Backman manage to contact Neal now that the smartphone has been stolen? What is Backman's main concern regarding the theft?
6. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
7. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
8. Who is Dan Sandberg? What is his interest in the case? Who does Sandberg contact for information?
9. What is the status of the FBI investigation into the offshore bank account?
10. What does Backman do once he arrives in the US?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joel and Neal Backman are both ambitious lawyers although Joel took a chance that landed him in prison for 20 years while Neal managed to get his life in order after the scandal died down. Compare and contrast Joel and Neal Backman. Which is the most honest? Which is the smartest? What are the biggest differences? Do you think Neal wants to be more or less like his father? How does Lisa view the relationship? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a final report on the Backman case. The report should be at least 1000 words. You may choose one of the following as a source for the report: Luigi, CIA, NSA, or the FBI. Include the existence and importance of Neptune and JAM, predictions about the usage of the products, Backman's involvement, government actions and involvement, plus the presence of other entities such as Mossad.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in several parts of the story, including Neal's interaction with his father and the plans orchestrated by Teddy Maynard. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing and explain each. Why does Grisham choose to use this method? Is foreshadowing a typical part of this type of story? Explain. Also create a new way in which foreshadowing could be used in this story or one similar to it.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)