|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marco do that blatantly goes against Luigi's rules?
2. The letter asks for money as well as a device that can be used for which of the following?
3. One of the groups looking for Backman often employs a hit man known only as the _____.
4. What is the contact's first name?
5. Where does Marco meet Francesca to get a good view of the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
2. Who is Dan Sandberg? What is his interest in the case? Who does Sandberg contact for information?
3. Discuss Backman's tour with Francesca. What does Backman see?
4. What items does Neal purchase for his father? How will Neal get the package to Backman without being found out by the operatives?
5. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
6. What is the status of the FBI investigation into the offshore bank account?
7. At this point in the story what is Backman's biggest obstacle to going out on his own?
8. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
9. What is Francesca's part in Backman's escape plan? Is it a good plan?
10. Discuss the involvement of Mossad at this point in the story. Why are the Mossad dangerous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in several parts of the story, including Neal's interaction with his father and the plans orchestrated by Teddy Maynard. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing and explain each. Why does Grisham choose to use this method? Is foreshadowing a typical part of this type of story? Explain. Also create a new way in which foreshadowing could be used in this story or one similar to it.
Essay Topic 3
From the time Backman landed in Italy he seemed to be formulating a plan to get away from Luigi, the military and other agencies. Discuss Backman's plan to go on the run. Is it a smart move to try to get away? What are Backman's obstacles? Can those obstacles be overcome? Backman is not aware of the level of surveillance he is under and would perhaps make another decision if he knew. Examine what Backman did and did not know about the surveillance, Luigi, the other American agencies, and the involvement of the foreign factions, including the Tin Man. If Backman does get away, where will he go? How will he get there? What will he use for money? Who might be willing to help Backman execute the plan? Why?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)