|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The newest of the informants is located in which city?
2. What is the contact's first name?
3. Who is Marco's lawyer?
4. Francesca's husband suffers from which disease?
5. Who called a halt to the break in at Luigi's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the involvement of Mossad at this point in the story. Why are the Mossad dangerous?
2. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
3. What is the status of the FBI investigation into the offshore bank account?
4. Describe the scene in which Backman is approached by two FBI agents.
5. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
6. How does Backman's plan change once he arrives in Switzerland?
7. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
8. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
9. What does Backman do once he arrives in the US?
10. What happens that makes it obvious that Backman's safe house is no longer safe? What does Backman do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joel and Neal Backman are both ambitious lawyers although Joel took a chance that landed him in prison for 20 years while Neal managed to get his life in order after the scandal died down. Compare and contrast Joel and Neal Backman. Which is the most honest? Which is the smartest? What are the biggest differences? Do you think Neal wants to be more or less like his father? How does Lisa view the relationship? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Joel Backman was not the only one to suffer from the trial that sent him to prison for twenty years. Neal Backman and Carl Pratt were also charged. Pratt returned to his law firm but Neal was left without a job. Discuss Neal's downfall. What charges were brought against Neal? Was Neal prosecuted for his part in the JAM deal? Explain. What did Backman do to save his son from going to prison? What kind of reception did Neal receive from his company after the trial was over? Why was it so difficult for Neal to get a job? Where does Neal end up? What is Lisa's opinion of the whole situation? Do you think Neal has made a full recovery from the trauma surrounding his father's arrest and imprisonment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)