|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Agents of which organization are trying to find Backman.
2. How old is the "kid?"
3. What type of building is located in the Piazza del Duomo?
4. The letter asks for money as well as a device that can be used for which of the following?
5. What item of Marco's is missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other groups are interested in Backman? Which group is not?
2. How does Backman manage to contact Neal now that the smartphone has been stolen? What is Backman's main concern regarding the theft?
3. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
4. What items does Neal purchase for his father? How will Neal get the package to Backman without being found out by the operatives?
5. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
6. What happens that makes it obvious that Backman's safe house is no longer safe? What does Backman do?
7. At this point in the story what is Backman's biggest obstacle to going out on his own?
8. Describe the scene in which Backman is approached by two FBI agents.
9. Discuss Backman's tour with Francesca. What does Backman see?
10. What does Backman do once he arrives in the US?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl Pratt is an attorney and former business partner to Joel Backman. Discuss Pratt's role in the story. What was Pratt's involvement in the JAM deal? Did Pratt know what Backman was doing and/or planned to do? What is Pratt's opinion on the entire situation? What charges were brought against Pratt at the trial? How was Pratt released? What did Backman do to protect Pratt? Did Pratt take over the business on a temporary or permanent basis? What were Pratt's thoughts when he learned that Backman was going to be released? Were Pratt's fears rational? What is Pratt's opinion on Backman? Why does Pratt agree to help Backman by contacting Clayburn and arranging the meeting? What is Pratt's position when the story ends? Do you think Pratt and Backman will ever work together again? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Joel Backman was not the only one to suffer from the trial that sent him to prison for twenty years. Neal Backman and Carl Pratt were also charged. Pratt returned to his law firm but Neal was left without a job. Discuss Neal's downfall. What charges were brought against Neal? Was Neal prosecuted for his part in the JAM deal? Explain. What did Backman do to save his son from going to prison? What kind of reception did Neal receive from his company after the trial was over? Why was it so difficult for Neal to get a job? Where does Neal end up? What is Lisa's opinion of the whole situation? Do you think Neal has made a full recovery from the trauma surrounding his father's arrest and imprisonment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)