|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT looking for Backman?
2. Who is close on Marco's trail?
3. Marco tells Francesca about which of the following?
4. What style is the architecture?
5. Marco quickly made his way to which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
2. Describe the scene in which Backman is approached by two FBI agents.
3. What items does Neal purchase for his father? How will Neal get the package to Backman without being found out by the operatives?
4. What happens when Neal receives the letter from his father? What does Neal do next? What does Lisa think of the plan?
5. At this point in the story what is Backman's biggest obstacle to going out on his own?
6. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
7. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
8. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
9. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
10. How does Backman's plan change once he arrives in Switzerland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Grisham uses a great deal of technical information regarding JAM, Neptune, and other intricate matters. Grisham states, however, that he has little to know knowledge of these things or satellites, smartphones, etc. How do you think Grisham got the information he needed to write the book? Were there any glaring technical errors in the book? Why not write about familiar subjects? Why is law Grisham's forte? What type of experts might have been used to help with research or the editing phase of the project? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There is a major shift in the demeanor and personality of Joel Backman throughout the story. Before Backman's arrest, he was referred to as being the second most powerful man in Washington. Backman was extremely rich, cunning, and smug. In Backman's mind he was untouchable. Discuss how Backman's attitude changed drastically when he went to the Rudley Federal Correction Facility. What was the biggest change? What precipitated the change? Did Backman's personality change or was it simply a reaction to the circumstances? Also examine how Backman changed once again after he made the deal with the Pentagon.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)