|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the "kid?"
2. What item does Marco obtain from his helper?
3. Who does Marco meet when he helps Francesca get back home?
4. What was the name of the clothing store Marco visited?
5. Marco quickly made his way to which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Backman do once he arrives in the US?
2. What items does Neal purchase for his father? How will Neal get the package to Backman without being found out by the operatives?
3. What happens that makes it obvious that Backman's safe house is no longer safe? What does Backman do?
4. Describe the scene on the train. What is the benefit of having the unpleasant woman in the same car?
5. What other groups are interested in Backman? Which group is not?
6. What happens to Backman at the bus station? How does Backman manage to get away?
7. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
8. Who is Dan Sandberg? What is his interest in the case? Who does Sandberg contact for information?
9. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
10. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
Essay Topic 2
Many different agencies play a part in the story. There are several from foreign countries such as England, Israel, Iraq, and China. The American agencies include the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Justice Department, the National Security Administration (NSA), the Pentagon, the White House, and some that remain unnamed. Write a description of each agency, what it does, and why it is involved in the Backman and/or JAM situation. Also discuss which are also involved in the bribe scandal. Choose two to compare and contrast for a better understanding of their parts in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)