|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The newest of the informants is located in which city?
2. Which of the following words best describes the attitude of the person met by Marco?
3. Marco knows that he cannot be arrested without _____.
4. Who is Marco's lawyer?
5. What is the contact's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other groups are interested in Backman? Which group is not?
2. What is Backman's most prized possession at this point? What happens to the item?
3. What happens when Neal receives the letter from his father? What does Neal do next? What does Lisa think of the plan?
4. Who is Dan Sandberg? What is his interest in the case? Who does Sandberg contact for information?
5. What does Backman do once he arrives in the US?
6. Discuss the involvement of Mossad at this point in the story. Why are the Mossad dangerous?
7. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
8. At this point in the story what is Backman's biggest obstacle to going out on his own?
9. What items does Neal purchase for his father? How will Neal get the package to Backman without being found out by the operatives?
10. Describe the scene on the train. What is the benefit of having the unpleasant woman in the same car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl Pratt is an attorney and former business partner to Joel Backman. Discuss Pratt's role in the story. What was Pratt's involvement in the JAM deal? Did Pratt know what Backman was doing and/or planned to do? What is Pratt's opinion on the entire situation? What charges were brought against Pratt at the trial? How was Pratt released? What did Backman do to protect Pratt? Did Pratt take over the business on a temporary or permanent basis? What were Pratt's thoughts when he learned that Backman was going to be released? Were Pratt's fears rational? What is Pratt's opinion on Backman? Why does Pratt agree to help Backman by contacting Clayburn and arranging the meeting? What is Pratt's position when the story ends? Do you think Pratt and Backman will ever work together again? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
John Grisham uses a great deal of technical information regarding JAM, Neptune, and other intricate matters. Grisham states, however, that he has little to know knowledge of these things or satellites, smartphones, etc. How do you think Grisham got the information he needed to write the book? Were there any glaring technical errors in the book? Why not write about familiar subjects? Why is law Grisham's forte? What type of experts might have been used to help with research or the editing phase of the project? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The government chooses to send Backman to Treviso as part of the deal. Why Treviso? Why Italy? What are Backman's thoughts? What are Backman's preferred locations? What must Backman do to prepare for the trip? Why does Backman have to learn to speak Italian? Wouldn't it be easier to go to an English speaking region or country? Describe in detail Backman's safe houses in Italy and how he is able to adapt to the surroundings. Also discuss Backman's struggles to learn the language and Luigi's efforts to help Backman acclimate to the new environment.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)