|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What currency is used most widely in Italy?
2. What color is the bag always carried by Marco?
3. Who is Marco's lawyer?
4. Where does Marco go to try to escape?
5. In Chapter 29 Marco arrives in which Italian city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the status of the FBI investigation into the offshore bank account?
2. What items does Neal purchase for his father? How will Neal get the package to Backman without being found out by the operatives?
3. What happens that makes it obvious that Backman's safe house is no longer safe? What does Backman do?
4. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
5. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
6. Discuss the involvement of Mossad at this point in the story. Why are the Mossad dangerous?
7. Describe the scene on the train. What is the benefit of having the unpleasant woman in the same car?
8. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
9. Discuss Backman's tour with Francesca. What does Backman see?
10. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a major shift in the demeanor and personality of Joel Backman throughout the story. Before Backman's arrest, he was referred to as being the second most powerful man in Washington. Backman was extremely rich, cunning, and smug. In Backman's mind he was untouchable. Discuss how Backman's attitude changed drastically when he went to the Rudley Federal Correction Facility. What was the biggest change? What precipitated the change? Did Backman's personality change or was it simply a reaction to the circumstances? Also examine how Backman changed once again after he made the deal with the Pentagon.
Essay Topic 2
The government chooses to send Backman to Treviso as part of the deal. Why Treviso? Why Italy? What are Backman's thoughts? What are Backman's preferred locations? What must Backman do to prepare for the trip? Why does Backman have to learn to speak Italian? Wouldn't it be easier to go to an English speaking region or country? Describe in detail Backman's safe houses in Italy and how he is able to adapt to the surroundings. Also discuss Backman's struggles to learn the language and Luigi's efforts to help Backman acclimate to the new environment.
Essay Topic 3
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)