|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Agents of which organization are trying to find Backman.
2. Maynard is fired for refusing to do which of the following?
3. What was the name of the clothing store Marco visited?
4. After leaving Bologna, Marco makes his first stop in which Italian town?
5. What is the person's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
2. What happens to Backman at the bus station? How does Backman manage to get away?
3. Describe the scene on the train. What is the benefit of having the unpleasant woman in the same car?
4. Who is Dan Sandberg? What is his interest in the case? Who does Sandberg contact for information?
5. What is Backman's most prized possession at this point? What happens to the item?
6. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
7. What is Francesca's part in Backman's escape plan? Is it a good plan?
8. What other groups are interested in Backman? Which group is not?
9. Describe the scene in which Backman is approached by two FBI agents.
10. What happens when Neal receives the letter from his father? What does Neal do next? What does Lisa think of the plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
Essay Topic 2
The government chooses to send Backman to Treviso as part of the deal. Why Treviso? Why Italy? What are Backman's thoughts? What are Backman's preferred locations? What must Backman do to prepare for the trip? Why does Backman have to learn to speak Italian? Wouldn't it be easier to go to an English speaking region or country? Describe in detail Backman's safe houses in Italy and how he is able to adapt to the surroundings. Also discuss Backman's struggles to learn the language and Luigi's efforts to help Backman acclimate to the new environment.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Clayburn's role in the story. Who is Clayburn? Why is he affiliated with the story? Is he still an active part of the Washington scene? How does Backman know Clayburn? Are the men friends, colleagues or something else? Why does Backman want to get in touch with Clayburn? How is Pratt able to find the man? What is Clayburn's response to Pratt's request? Does Clayburn meet with Backman? What is Clayburn's affiliation with the Pentagon? Does Clayburn do as he is asked? Explain.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)