|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men approach Marco outside his apartment?
2. The newest of the informants is located in which city?
3. Which of the following is the assassin's best skill?
4. Marco tells the woman in the airport that it is his father's ______ birthday.
5. The CIA wants Backman to tell them who owns the _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
2. What happens to Backman at the bus station? How does Backman manage to get away?
3. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
4. What other groups are interested in Backman? Which group is not?
5. Who is Dan Sandberg? What is his interest in the case? Who does Sandberg contact for information?
6. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
7. What is the status of the FBI investigation into the offshore bank account?
8. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
9. What is Backman's most prized possession at this point? What happens to the item?
10. Describe the scene in which Backman is approached by two FBI agents.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Grisham uses a great deal of technical information regarding JAM, Neptune, and other intricate matters. Grisham states, however, that he has little to know knowledge of these things or satellites, smartphones, etc. How do you think Grisham got the information he needed to write the book? Were there any glaring technical errors in the book? Why not write about familiar subjects? Why is law Grisham's forte? What type of experts might have been used to help with research or the editing phase of the project? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Many different agencies play a part in the story. There are several from foreign countries such as England, Israel, Iraq, and China. The American agencies include the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Justice Department, the National Security Administration (NSA), the Pentagon, the White House, and some that remain unnamed. Write a description of each agency, what it does, and why it is involved in the Backman and/or JAM situation. Also discuss which are also involved in the bribe scandal. Choose two to compare and contrast for a better understanding of their parts in the story.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)