|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Marco obtain from his helper?
2. What type of bird is commonly found in a piazza?
3. What incident occurs while Marco is having lunch with Luigi?
4. Maynard is fired for refusing to do which of the following?
5. What is it called when a newspaper gets to a story before another?
Short Essay Questions
1. At this point in the story what is Backman's biggest obstacle to going out on his own?
2. What happens when Neal receives the letter from his father? What does Neal do next? What does Lisa think of the plan?
3. What other groups are interested in Backman? Which group is not?
4. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
5. What does Backman do once he arrives in the US?
6. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
7. How does Backman manage to contact Neal now that the smartphone has been stolen? What is Backman's main concern regarding the theft?
8. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
9. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
10. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Clayburn's role in the story. Who is Clayburn? Why is he affiliated with the story? Is he still an active part of the Washington scene? How does Backman know Clayburn? Are the men friends, colleagues or something else? Why does Backman want to get in touch with Clayburn? How is Pratt able to find the man? What is Clayburn's response to Pratt's request? Does Clayburn meet with Backman? What is Clayburn's affiliation with the Pentagon? Does Clayburn do as he is asked? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There is a major shift in the demeanor and personality of Joel Backman throughout the story. Before Backman's arrest, he was referred to as being the second most powerful man in Washington. Backman was extremely rich, cunning, and smug. In Backman's mind he was untouchable. Discuss how Backman's attitude changed drastically when he went to the Rudley Federal Correction Facility. What was the biggest change? What precipitated the change? Did Backman's personality change or was it simply a reaction to the circumstances? Also examine how Backman changed once again after he made the deal with the Pentagon.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)