|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What currency is used most widely in Italy?
2. Marco asks Neal to find which of the following?
3. Who called a halt to the break in at Luigi's apartment?
4. Marco complains because Francesca tends to ____ a lot.
5. Where does Marco go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Neal receives the letter from his father? What does Neal do next? What does Lisa think of the plan?
2. How does Backman manage to contact Neal now that the smartphone has been stolen? What is Backman's main concern regarding the theft?
3. What is the status of the FBI investigation into the offshore bank account?
4. What happens that makes it obvious that Backman's safe house is no longer safe? What does Backman do?
5. At this point in the story what is Backman's biggest obstacle to going out on his own?
6. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
7. Who is Dan Sandberg? What is his interest in the case? Who does Sandberg contact for information?
8. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
9. What is Backman's most prized possession at this point? What happens to the item?
10. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Clayburn's role in the story. Who is Clayburn? Why is he affiliated with the story? Is he still an active part of the Washington scene? How does Backman know Clayburn? Are the men friends, colleagues or something else? Why does Backman want to get in touch with Clayburn? How is Pratt able to find the man? What is Clayburn's response to Pratt's request? Does Clayburn meet with Backman? What is Clayburn's affiliation with the Pentagon? Does Clayburn do as he is asked? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The US government strikes more than one deal with Backman. The first is a pardon with the hopes that Backman will confess to the whereabouts of JAM. The plan fails. The second and biggest deal involves Backman's freedom and safety in exchange for the JAM computer disks. Discuss Backman's deals with the government. Who made the deals on behalf of the government? Who gave the deal maker authorization? Why and how was the first deal flawed? What should have been done differently? Why is the government allowed to pardon Backman if he committed a federal crime? Why does the US government make the second deal? Do you think Backman is deserving of either deal? Explain. If the government made the last deal with Backman, why does Backman doubt his safety? Why does Backman think that the government will continue to track and perhaps try to kill him? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
One way in which Backman was violated was through the treatment in prison. Discuss Backman's prison experience? Why was Backman in solitary confinement? How long did that last? Where is the Rudley Federal Correction Facility? Who knows where Backman is imprisoned? What types of coercion does Teddy Maynard employ to try to get Backman to confess? Does it work? What is the state of Backman's physical and mental health? Is there any way to improve either? Explain. Also explain how Backman's treatment at Rudley is a clear violation of the man's civil rights.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)