|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years earlier had that death taken place?
2. Who does Marco turn to for help?
3. How old is the building?
4. The CIA wants Backman to tell them who owns the _____.
5. The bribe money is moved to ______, the first of two locations.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the involvement of Mossad at this point in the story. Why are the Mossad dangerous?
2. How does Backman's plan change once he arrives in Switzerland?
3. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
4. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
5. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
6. What is Francesca's part in Backman's escape plan? Is it a good plan?
7. Discuss Backman's tour with Francesca. What does Backman see?
8. At this point in the story what is Backman's biggest obstacle to going out on his own?
9. What is the status of the FBI investigation into the offshore bank account?
10. What other groups are interested in Backman? Which group is not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joel Backman was not the only one to suffer from the trial that sent him to prison for twenty years. Neal Backman and Carl Pratt were also charged. Pratt returned to his law firm but Neal was left without a job. Discuss Neal's downfall. What charges were brought against Neal? Was Neal prosecuted for his part in the JAM deal? Explain. What did Backman do to save his son from going to prison? What kind of reception did Neal receive from his company after the trial was over? Why was it so difficult for Neal to get a job? Where does Neal end up? What is Lisa's opinion of the whole situation? Do you think Neal has made a full recovery from the trauma surrounding his father's arrest and imprisonment? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The government chooses to send Backman to Treviso as part of the deal. Why Treviso? Why Italy? What are Backman's thoughts? What are Backman's preferred locations? What must Backman do to prepare for the trip? Why does Backman have to learn to speak Italian? Wouldn't it be easier to go to an English speaking region or country? Describe in detail Backman's safe houses in Italy and how he is able to adapt to the surroundings. Also discuss Backman's struggles to learn the language and Luigi's efforts to help Backman acclimate to the new environment.
Essay Topic 3
Write a journal from the point of view of Teddy Maynard. Begin with the plan to release Backman. Include the details of the plan, how Maynard orchestrated the deal, the desired confession, Morgan's role in the story, Javier's assistance, etc. Also include Maynard's thoughts after he was fired and what his plans are for the future.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)