|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the journalist introduced in Chapter 18?
2. What type of phone does Neal purchase?
3. Who receives a letter from Backman?
4. Who does Marco turn to for help?
5. Francesca insists that Marco practice his ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
2. How does Backman's plan change once he arrives in Switzerland?
3. What is Backman's most prized possession at this point? What happens to the item?
4. At this point in the story what is Backman's biggest obstacle to going out on his own?
5. What happens to Backman at the bus station? How does Backman manage to get away?
6. What happens when Neal receives the letter from his father? What does Neal do next? What does Lisa think of the plan?
7. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
8. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
9. What happens that makes it obvious that Backman's safe house is no longer safe? What does Backman do?
10. What does Backman do once he arrives in the US?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in several parts of the story, including Neal's interaction with his father and the plans orchestrated by Teddy Maynard. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing and explain each. Why does Grisham choose to use this method? Is foreshadowing a typical part of this type of story? Explain. Also create a new way in which foreshadowing could be used in this story or one similar to it.
Essay Topic 2
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story from the point of view of Joel Backman 5 years from now. Where do you think Backman will be? Will he remain in Italy? Will he return to the US as promised? Will Backman ever start up the lobbying firm? Also examine Backman's future family relationships and interaction with Francesca.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)