|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who called a halt to the break in at Luigi's apartment?
2. Which of the following is NOT looking for Backman?
3. Who does Marco meet when he helps Francesca get back home?
4. What was the name of the clothing store Marco visited?
5. Who is close on Marco's trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
2. Describe the scene in which Backman is approached by two FBI agents.
3. What does Backman do once he arrives in the US?
4. What is Backman's most prized possession at this point? What happens to the item?
5. What is the status of the FBI investigation into the offshore bank account?
6. Discuss Backman's tour with Francesca. What does Backman see?
7. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
8. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
9. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
10. What is Francesca's part in Backman's escape plan? Is it a good plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in several parts of the story, including Neal's interaction with his father and the plans orchestrated by Teddy Maynard. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing and explain each. Why does Grisham choose to use this method? Is foreshadowing a typical part of this type of story? Explain. Also create a new way in which foreshadowing could be used in this story or one similar to it.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)