|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Luigi, which drink can be consumed at any time of the day or night without appearing inappropriate?
2. Whose funeral is delayed?
3. What new item does Marco buy unbeknownst to his handlers?
4. The police believe the death was caused by an accident involving ____.
5. How long had Maynard held the position?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the President of the United States? What is his current status?
2. The FBI learns about a bank account in Grand Cayman that is most likely connected to Joel Backman. Discuss the discovery and the FBI's request of Teddy Maynard.
3. What happens when Teddy Maynard learns about Critz's activities?
4. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
5. Why is the CIA worried that Backman might attempt to contact his family? What precautions are taken in case Backman should try to get in contact with someone?
6. How does Luigi propose Backman deal with the language barrier? What will Backman tell the locals about his lack of knowledge about the language?
7. What obstacles does Critz run into when he attempts to get information on Backman? Who does he contact?
8. Where does the government send Backman? Who is Backman's "handler?"
9. It is never clear to Backman who Luigi is or who he works for in the US. Who does Luigi work for and to whom does he report?
10. Who is Duke Mongo? Why is his pardon such a huge controversy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a journal from the point of view of Teddy Maynard. Begin with the plan to release Backman. Include the details of the plan, how Maynard orchestrated the deal, the desired confession, Morgan's role in the story, Javier's assistance, etc. Also include Maynard's thoughts after he was fired and what his plans are for the future.
Essay Topic 2
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
John Grisham uses a great deal of technical information regarding JAM, Neptune, and other intricate matters. Grisham states, however, that he has little to know knowledge of these things or satellites, smartphones, etc. How do you think Grisham got the information he needed to write the book? Were there any glaring technical errors in the book? Why not write about familiar subjects? Why is law Grisham's forte? What type of experts might have been used to help with research or the editing phase of the project? Explain.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)