|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport did the men often play together?
2. Arthur decided to buy a small house in which state?
3. Marco tells his handlers that he wants to live in which Italian city?
4. Back at the hotel, Backman wants to order a ______ but does not know the words.
5. How old is Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Backman's cover story? What is his new identity?
2. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
3. What is Pratt's recollection of the Backman case? Who was involved? What was the main subject of the case?
4. What are Maynard's proposed plans for Backman? What has been done so far?
5. Discuss the meeting between Sandberg and Pratt. Who are Sandberg and Pratt?
6. Discuss Mrs. Critz's doubts about her husband's death. Does she know how and why her husband died? Does she tell anyone about her suspicions?
7. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
8. Discuss Backman's plan to communicate with Neal. Does the plan work?
9. Where does the government send Backman? Who is Backman's "handler?"
10. What is the next morning's news regarding Backman's release? What is Carl Pratt's opinion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joel and Neal Backman are both ambitious lawyers although Joel took a chance that landed him in prison for 20 years while Neal managed to get his life in order after the scandal died down. Compare and contrast Joel and Neal Backman. Which is the most honest? Which is the smartest? What are the biggest differences? Do you think Neal wants to be more or less like his father? How does Lisa view the relationship? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Clayburn's role in the story. Who is Clayburn? Why is he affiliated with the story? Is he still an active part of the Washington scene? How does Backman know Clayburn? Are the men friends, colleagues or something else? Why does Backman want to get in touch with Clayburn? How is Pratt able to find the man? What is Clayburn's response to Pratt's request? Does Clayburn meet with Backman? What is Clayburn's affiliation with the Pentagon? Does Clayburn do as he is asked? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a final report on the Backman case. The report should be at least 1000 words. You may choose one of the following as a source for the report: Luigi, CIA, NSA, or the FBI. Include the existence and importance of Neptune and JAM, predictions about the usage of the products, Backman's involvement, government actions and involvement, plus the presence of other entities such as Mossad.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)