|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many electoral votes are at stake?
2. What is the name of Maynard's aide?
3. What is the approximate population of Padua?
4. How long had the shortest presidential term been to date?
5. The woman is at the airport to catch a connecting flight. Her original departure location was _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the meeting between Backman and Rudolph. Why does Backman trust Rudolph?
2. What does Backman do on his second day in Bologna? Who does he meet?
3. What are Maynard's proposed plans for Backman? What has been done so far?
4. What does Backman do shortly after arriving in Treviso?
5. How does Luigi propose Backman deal with the language barrier? What will Backman tell the locals about his lack of knowledge about the language?
6. Why is there tension between Backman and Ermanno? What is Backman's demand?
7. What is Joel Backman's family situation?
8. What happens when Backman arrives at the military hospital?
9. What happens when Teddy Maynard learns about Critz's activities?
10. Discuss Backman's plan to communicate with Neal. Does the plan work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Grisham uses a great deal of technical information regarding JAM, Neptune, and other intricate matters. Grisham states, however, that he has little to know knowledge of these things or satellites, smartphones, etc. How do you think Grisham got the information he needed to write the book? Were there any glaring technical errors in the book? Why not write about familiar subjects? Why is law Grisham's forte? What type of experts might have been used to help with research or the editing phase of the project? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The US government strikes more than one deal with Backman. The first is a pardon with the hopes that Backman will confess to the whereabouts of JAM. The plan fails. The second and biggest deal involves Backman's freedom and safety in exchange for the JAM computer disks. Discuss Backman's deals with the government. Who made the deals on behalf of the government? Who gave the deal maker authorization? Why and how was the first deal flawed? What should have been done differently? Why is the government allowed to pardon Backman if he committed a federal crime? Why does the US government make the second deal? Do you think Backman is deserving of either deal? Explain. If the government made the last deal with Backman, why does Backman doubt his safety? Why does Backman think that the government will continue to track and perhaps try to kill him? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)