|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the son who frequently communicates with his father?
2. Whose funeral is delayed?
3. Which of the following is the president's home state?
4. How long had Maynard held the position?
5. What lofty position is held by Teddy Maynard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Critz situation handled?
2. How does Luigi propose Backman deal with the language barrier? What will Backman tell the locals about his lack of knowledge about the language?
3. Who is the President of the United States? What is his current status?
4. What does Backman do shortly after arriving in Treviso?
5. Where does the government send Backman? Who is Backman's "handler?"
6. Discuss Backman's plan to communicate with Neal. Does the plan work?
7. Who is Teddy Maynard? Why is he an important figure in the story? What is Maynard's relationship with the President?
8. Discuss the meeting between Sandberg and Pratt. Who are Sandberg and Pratt?
9. What is Backman's cover story? What is his new identity?
10. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in several parts of the story, including Neal's interaction with his father and the plans orchestrated by Teddy Maynard. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing and explain each. Why does Grisham choose to use this method? Is foreshadowing a typical part of this type of story? Explain. Also create a new way in which foreshadowing could be used in this story or one similar to it.
Essay Topic 2
There is a major shift in the demeanor and personality of Joel Backman throughout the story. Before Backman's arrest, he was referred to as being the second most powerful man in Washington. Backman was extremely rich, cunning, and smug. In Backman's mind he was untouchable. Discuss how Backman's attitude changed drastically when he went to the Rudley Federal Correction Facility. What was the biggest change? What precipitated the change? Did Backman's personality change or was it simply a reaction to the circumstances? Also examine how Backman changed once again after he made the deal with the Pentagon.
Essay Topic 3
The US government strikes more than one deal with Backman. The first is a pardon with the hopes that Backman will confess to the whereabouts of JAM. The plan fails. The second and biggest deal involves Backman's freedom and safety in exchange for the JAM computer disks. Discuss Backman's deals with the government. Who made the deals on behalf of the government? Who gave the deal maker authorization? Why and how was the first deal flawed? What should have been done differently? Why is the government allowed to pardon Backman if he committed a federal crime? Why does the US government make the second deal? Do you think Backman is deserving of either deal? Explain. If the government made the last deal with Backman, why does Backman doubt his safety? Why does Backman think that the government will continue to track and perhaps try to kill him? Explain.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)