Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man supposedly located at this time?
2. Who is Luigi's employer?
3. Where does the exchange take place?
4. What is Joel's former occupation?
5. What is the man's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
2. How does Backman manage to contact Neal now that the smartphone has been stolen? What is Backman's main concern regarding the theft?
3. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
4. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
5. Backman goes to the Pentagon to meet with Major Roland. Discuss the meeting and the information delivered by Backman.
6. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
7. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
8. What is the next morning's news regarding Backman's release? What is Carl Pratt's opinion?
9. How is the Critz situation handled?
10. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
The government chooses to send Backman to Treviso as part of the deal. Why Treviso? Why Italy? What are Backman's thoughts? What are Backman's preferred locations? What must Backman do to prepare for the trip? Why does Backman have to learn to speak Italian? Wouldn't it be easier to go to an English speaking region or country? Describe in detail Backman's safe houses in Italy and how he is able to adapt to the surroundings. Also discuss Backman's struggles to learn the language and Luigi's efforts to help Backman acclimate to the new environment.
There is a major shift in the demeanor and personality of Joel Backman throughout the story. Before Backman's arrest, he was referred to as being the second most powerful man in Washington. Backman was extremely rich, cunning, and smug. In Backman's mind he was untouchable. Discuss how Backman's attitude changed drastically when he went to the Rudley Federal Correction Facility. What was the biggest change? What precipitated the change? Did Backman's personality change or was it simply a reaction to the circumstances? Also examine how Backman changed once again after he made the deal with the Pentagon.
Many different agencies play a part in the story. There are several from foreign countries such as England, Israel, Iraq, and China. The American agencies include the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Justice Department, the National Security Administration (NSA), the Pentagon, the White House, and some that remain unnamed. Write a description of each agency, what it does, and why it is involved in the Backman and/or JAM situation. Also discuss which are also involved in the bribe scandal. Choose two to compare and contrast for a better understanding of their parts in the story.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)