|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rudolph's last name?
2. What is the name of a small Italian restaurant?
3. Ermanno becomes upset when Marco wants him to change which of the following?
4. Who is Luigi's employer?
5. The police believe the death was caused by an accident involving ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Backman's tour with Francesca. What does Backman see?
2. What is the purpose of the meeting between Backman and Clayburn? What happens next?
3. Why is there tension between Backman and Ermanno? What is Backman's demand?
4. Why is the CIA worried that Backman might attempt to contact his family? What precautions are taken in case Backman should try to get in contact with someone?
5. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
6. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
7. What happens to Backman at the bus station? How does Backman manage to get away?
8. What obstacles does Critz run into when he attempts to get information on Backman? Who does he contact?
9. What is Backman's opinion of Francesca? What does Backman do that is against the rules?
10. It is never clear to Backman who Luigi is or who he works for in the US. Who does Luigi work for and to whom does he report?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a journal from the point of view of Teddy Maynard. Begin with the plan to release Backman. Include the details of the plan, how Maynard orchestrated the deal, the desired confession, Morgan's role in the story, Javier's assistance, etc. Also include Maynard's thoughts after he was fired and what his plans are for the future.
Essay Topic 2
Joel and Neal Backman are both ambitious lawyers although Joel took a chance that landed him in prison for 20 years while Neal managed to get his life in order after the scandal died down. Compare and contrast Joel and Neal Backman. Which is the most honest? Which is the smartest? What are the biggest differences? Do you think Neal wants to be more or less like his father? How does Lisa view the relationship? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
This section contains 2,763 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)