|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Arthur's last friend?
2. What is the first name of the prison warden?
3. Where is the prison located?
4. What is the name of the man involved in the scandal six years previous?
5. Who did Morgan pardon against the advice of many?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Backman at the bus station? How does Backman manage to get away?
2. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
3. What is the situation with Critz in London? Who approaches Critz with an offer?
4. Who is Dan Sandberg? What is his interest in the case? Who does Sandberg contact for information?
5. What does Backman do once he arrives in the US?
6. What happens that makes it obvious that Backman's safe house is no longer safe? What does Backman do?
7. It is never clear to Backman who Luigi is or who he works for in the US. Who does Luigi work for and to whom does he report?
8. How is the Critz situation handled?
9. What does Backman do on his second day in Bologna? Who does he meet?
10. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
Essay Topic 1
Many different agencies play a part in the story. There are several from foreign countries such as England, Israel, Iraq, and China. The American agencies include the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Justice Department, the National Security Administration (NSA), the Pentagon, the White House, and some that remain unnamed. Write a description of each agency, what it does, and why it is involved in the Backman and/or JAM situation. Also discuss which are also involved in the bribe scandal. Choose two to compare and contrast for a better understanding of their parts in the story.
Essay Topic 2
One way in which Backman was violated was through the treatment in prison. Discuss Backman's prison experience? Why was Backman in solitary confinement? How long did that last? Where is the Rudley Federal Correction Facility? Who knows where Backman is imprisoned? What types of coercion does Teddy Maynard employ to try to get Backman to confess? Does it work? What is the state of Backman's physical and mental health? Is there any way to improve either? Explain. Also explain how Backman's treatment at Rudley is a clear violation of the man's civil rights.
Essay Topic 3
The government chooses to send Backman to Treviso as part of the deal. Why Treviso? Why Italy? What are Backman's thoughts? What are Backman's preferred locations? What must Backman do to prepare for the trip? Why does Backman have to learn to speak Italian? Wouldn't it be easier to go to an English speaking region or country? Describe in detail Backman's safe houses in Italy and how he is able to adapt to the surroundings. Also discuss Backman's struggles to learn the language and Luigi's efforts to help Backman acclimate to the new environment.
This section contains 2,716 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)