|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bar where Marco meets Rudolph?
2. Marco tells his handlers that he wants to live in which Italian city?
3. What is the name of Critz's old buddy from the CIA?
4. What is the name of Maynard's aide?
5. To cover up for his bad Italian language skills Marco is supposed to tell people that he was raised in what other country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation with Critz in London? Who approaches Critz with an offer?
2. Describe the scene on the train. What is the benefit of having the unpleasant woman in the same car?
3. What happens when Neal receives the letter from his father? What does Neal do next? What does Lisa think of the plan?
4. What other groups are interested in Backman? Which group is not?
5. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
6. What is Francesca's part in Backman's escape plan? Is it a good plan?
7. What items does Neal purchase for his father? How will Neal get the package to Backman without being found out by the operatives?
8. Who is Teddy Maynard? Why is he an important figure in the story? What is Maynard's relationship with the President?
9. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
10. What are Maynard's proposed plans for Backman? What has been done so far?
Essay Topic 1
Carl Pratt is an attorney and former business partner to Joel Backman. Discuss Pratt's role in the story. What was Pratt's involvement in the JAM deal? Did Pratt know what Backman was doing and/or planned to do? What is Pratt's opinion on the entire situation? What charges were brought against Pratt at the trial? How was Pratt released? What did Backman do to protect Pratt? Did Pratt take over the business on a temporary or permanent basis? What were Pratt's thoughts when he learned that Backman was going to be released? Were Pratt's fears rational? What is Pratt's opinion on Backman? Why does Pratt agree to help Backman by contacting Clayburn and arranging the meeting? What is Pratt's position when the story ends? Do you think Pratt and Backman will ever work together again? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in several parts of the story, including Neal's interaction with his father and the plans orchestrated by Teddy Maynard. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing and explain each. Why does Grisham choose to use this method? Is foreshadowing a typical part of this type of story? Explain. Also create a new way in which foreshadowing could be used in this story or one similar to it.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)