Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man supposedly located at this time?
2. Who is Luigi's employer?
3. Where does the exchange take place?
4. What is Joel's former occupation?
5. What is the man's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
2. How does Backman manage to contact Neal now that the smartphone has been stolen? What is Backman's main concern regarding the theft?
3. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
4. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
5. Backman goes to the Pentagon to meet with Major Roland. Discuss the meeting and the information delivered by Backman.
6. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
7. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
8. What is the next morning's news regarding Backman's release? What is Carl Pratt's opinion?
9. How is the Critz situation handled?
10. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
Many different agencies play a part in the story. There are several from foreign countries such as England, Israel, Iraq, and China. The American agencies include the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Justice Department, the National Security Administration (NSA), the Pentagon, the White House, and some that remain unnamed. Write a description of each agency, what it does, and why it is involved in the Backman and/or JAM situation. Also discuss which are also involved in the bribe scandal. Choose two to compare and contrast for a better understanding of their parts in the story.
Francesca Ferro is in a vulnerable state when she meets Joel Backman aka Marco Lazzeri. Discuss Francesca's situation. What is Backman's complaint about Francesca? What does Backman learn from Luigi? What is the relationship between Francesca and Backman? What is Francesca's home situation? How does Francesca's mother react when Backman carries Francesca into the apartment? Why is there tension between Francesca and Giovanni? What do you think will happen with Francesca and Backman?
Joel and Neal Backman are both ambitious lawyers although Joel took a chance that landed him in prison for 20 years while Neal managed to get his life in order after the scandal died down. Compare and contrast Joel and Neal Backman. Which is the most honest? Which is the smartest? What are the biggest differences? Do you think Neal wants to be more or less like his father? How does Lisa view the relationship? Explain.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)