|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first name of the prison warden?
2. How much money is in the account?
3. What lofty position is held by Teddy Maynard?
4. What was the name of the Mafia snitch?
5. What was the first name of the woman approached by Marco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Backman arrives at the military hospital?
2. Who is Teddy Maynard? Why is he an important figure in the story? What is Maynard's relationship with the President?
3. Discuss the meeting between Backman and Rudolph. Why does Backman trust Rudolph?
4. Discuss Mrs. Critz's doubts about her husband's death. Does she know how and why her husband died? Does she tell anyone about her suspicions?
5. It is never clear to Backman who Luigi is or who he works for in the US. Who does Luigi work for and to whom does he report?
6. What is the next morning's news regarding Backman's release? What is Carl Pratt's opinion?
7. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
8. What is Pratt's recollection of the Backman case? Who was involved? What was the main subject of the case?
9. What does Backman do shortly after arriving in Treviso?
10. Where does the government send Backman? Who is Backman's "handler?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story from the point of view of Joel Backman 5 years from now. Where do you think Backman will be? Will he remain in Italy? Will he return to the US as promised? Will Backman ever start up the lobbying firm? Also examine Backman's future family relationships and interaction with Francesca.
Essay Topic 2
Write a final report on the Backman case. The report should be at least 1000 words. You may choose one of the following as a source for the report: Luigi, CIA, NSA, or the FBI. Include the existence and importance of Neptune and JAM, predictions about the usage of the products, Backman's involvement, government actions and involvement, plus the presence of other entities such as Mossad.
Essay Topic 3
Carl Pratt is an attorney and former business partner to Joel Backman. Discuss Pratt's role in the story. What was Pratt's involvement in the JAM deal? Did Pratt know what Backman was doing and/or planned to do? What is Pratt's opinion on the entire situation? What charges were brought against Pratt at the trial? How was Pratt released? What did Backman do to protect Pratt? Did Pratt take over the business on a temporary or permanent basis? What were Pratt's thoughts when he learned that Backman was going to be released? Were Pratt's fears rational? What is Pratt's opinion on Backman? Why does Pratt agree to help Backman by contacting Clayburn and arranging the meeting? What is Pratt's position when the story ends? Do you think Pratt and Backman will ever work together again? Explain.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)