|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many electoral votes are at stake?
2. What was the first name of the woman approached by Marco?
3. Where is the bank located?
4. Neal Backman is being watched under what level of surveillance?
5. Where did Marco and Sennett part ways?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Teddy Maynard learns about Critz's activities?
2. Discuss the meeting between Sandberg and Pratt. Who are Sandberg and Pratt?
3. What happens when Backman arrives at the military hospital?
4. How is the Critz situation handled?
5. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
6. What is the next morning's news regarding Backman's release? What is Carl Pratt's opinion?
7. Who is the President of the United States? What is his current status?
8. What is Backman's cover story? What is his new identity?
9. Discuss Backman's plan to communicate with Neal. Does the plan work?
10. What are Maynard's proposed plans for Backman? What has been done so far?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Francesca Ferro is in a vulnerable state when she meets Joel Backman aka Marco Lazzeri. Discuss Francesca's situation. What is Backman's complaint about Francesca? What does Backman learn from Luigi? What is the relationship between Francesca and Backman? What is Francesca's home situation? How does Francesca's mother react when Backman carries Francesca into the apartment? Why is there tension between Francesca and Giovanni? What do you think will happen with Francesca and Backman?
Essay Topic 2
Joel Backman was not the only one to suffer from the trial that sent him to prison for twenty years. Neal Backman and Carl Pratt were also charged. Pratt returned to his law firm but Neal was left without a job. Discuss Neal's downfall. What charges were brought against Neal? Was Neal prosecuted for his part in the JAM deal? Explain. What did Backman do to save his son from going to prison? What kind of reception did Neal receive from his company after the trial was over? Why was it so difficult for Neal to get a job? Where does Neal end up? What is Lisa's opinion of the whole situation? Do you think Neal has made a full recovery from the trauma surrounding his father's arrest and imprisonment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
There is a major shift in the demeanor and personality of Joel Backman throughout the story. Before Backman's arrest, he was referred to as being the second most powerful man in Washington. Backman was extremely rich, cunning, and smug. In Backman's mind he was untouchable. Discuss how Backman's attitude changed drastically when he went to the Rudley Federal Correction Facility. What was the biggest change? What precipitated the change? Did Backman's personality change or was it simply a reaction to the circumstances? Also examine how Backman changed once again after he made the deal with the Pentagon.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)