Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man supposedly located at this time?
2. Who is Luigi's employer?
3. Where does the exchange take place?
4. What is Joel's former occupation?
5. What is the man's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
2. How does Backman manage to contact Neal now that the smartphone has been stolen? What is Backman's main concern regarding the theft?
3. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
4. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
5. Backman goes to the Pentagon to meet with Major Roland. Discuss the meeting and the information delivered by Backman.
6. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
7. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
8. What is the next morning's news regarding Backman's release? What is Carl Pratt's opinion?
9. How is the Critz situation handled?
10. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story from the point of view of Joel Backman 5 years from now. Where do you think Backman will be? Will he remain in Italy? Will he return to the US as promised? Will Backman ever start up the lobbying firm? Also examine Backman's future family relationships and interaction with Francesca.
Essay Topic 2
John Grisham uses a great deal of technical information regarding JAM, Neptune, and other intricate matters. Grisham states, however, that he has little to know knowledge of these things or satellites, smartphones, etc. How do you think Grisham got the information he needed to write the book? Were there any glaring technical errors in the book? Why not write about familiar subjects? Why is law Grisham's forte? What type of experts might have been used to help with research or the editing phase of the project? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Carl Pratt is an attorney and former business partner to Joel Backman. Discuss Pratt's role in the story. What was Pratt's involvement in the JAM deal? Did Pratt know what Backman was doing and/or planned to do? What is Pratt's opinion on the entire situation? What charges were brought against Pratt at the trial? How was Pratt released? What did Backman do to protect Pratt? Did Pratt take over the business on a temporary or permanent basis? What were Pratt's thoughts when he learned that Backman was going to be released? Were Pratt's fears rational? What is Pratt's opinion on Backman? Why does Pratt agree to help Backman by contacting Clayburn and arranging the meeting? What is Pratt's position when the story ends? Do you think Pratt and Backman will ever work together again? Explain.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)