|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the president's son?
2. After the death of Critz, Backman must leave Treviso. Where is Backman taken for safety purposes?
3. Where is the prison located?
4. How many people does Marco approach at the airport regarding the letter?
5. How many electoral votes are at stake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Maynard's proposed plans for Backman? What has been done so far?
2. The FBI learns about a bank account in Grand Cayman that is most likely connected to Joel Backman. Discuss the discovery and the FBI's request of Teddy Maynard.
3. Discuss the meeting between Backman and Rudolph. Why does Backman trust Rudolph?
4. Discuss the meeting between Sandberg and Pratt. Who are Sandberg and Pratt?
5. How is the Critz situation handled?
6. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
7. Why does Backman go shopping? Why does he have to have permission from Luigi?
8. Discuss Mrs. Critz's doubts about her husband's death. Does she know how and why her husband died? Does she tell anyone about her suspicions?
9. Where does the government send Backman? Who is Backman's "handler?"
10. What happens when Backman arrives at the military hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a major shift in the demeanor and personality of Joel Backman throughout the story. Before Backman's arrest, he was referred to as being the second most powerful man in Washington. Backman was extremely rich, cunning, and smug. In Backman's mind he was untouchable. Discuss how Backman's attitude changed drastically when he went to the Rudley Federal Correction Facility. What was the biggest change? What precipitated the change? Did Backman's personality change or was it simply a reaction to the circumstances? Also examine how Backman changed once again after he made the deal with the Pentagon.
Essay Topic 2
Write a final report on the Backman case. The report should be at least 1000 words. You may choose one of the following as a source for the report: Luigi, CIA, NSA, or the FBI. Include the existence and importance of Neptune and JAM, predictions about the usage of the products, Backman's involvement, government actions and involvement, plus the presence of other entities such as Mossad.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story from the point of view of Joel Backman 5 years from now. Where do you think Backman will be? Will he remain in Italy? Will he return to the US as promised? Will Backman ever start up the lobbying firm? Also examine Backman's future family relationships and interaction with Francesca.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)