|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the death of Critz, Backman must leave Treviso. Where is Backman taken for safety purposes?
2. According to Luigi, which drink can be consumed at any time of the day or night without appearing inappropriate?
3. Where is the man supposedly located at this time?
4. How many electoral votes are at stake?
5. What is the name of Marco's contact?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Backman's plan change once he arrives in Switzerland?
2. What is the deal made between the two men?
3. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
4. What happens when Backman arrives at the military hospital?
5. Why is there tension between Backman and Ermanno? What is Backman's demand?
6. Who is Dan Sandberg? What is his interest in the case? Who does Sandberg contact for information?
7. What is the next morning's news regarding Backman's release? What is Carl Pratt's opinion?
8. Why does Backman go shopping? Why does he have to have permission from Luigi?
9. What happens that makes it obvious that Backman's safe house is no longer safe? What does Backman do?
10. Discuss Backman's transactions at the bank. What is Backman's plan?
Essay Topic 1
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Carl Pratt is an attorney and former business partner to Joel Backman. Discuss Pratt's role in the story. What was Pratt's involvement in the JAM deal? Did Pratt know what Backman was doing and/or planned to do? What is Pratt's opinion on the entire situation? What charges were brought against Pratt at the trial? How was Pratt released? What did Backman do to protect Pratt? Did Pratt take over the business on a temporary or permanent basis? What were Pratt's thoughts when he learned that Backman was going to be released? Were Pratt's fears rational? What is Pratt's opinion on Backman? Why does Pratt agree to help Backman by contacting Clayburn and arranging the meeting? What is Pratt's position when the story ends? Do you think Pratt and Backman will ever work together again? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a final report on the Backman case. The report should be at least 1000 words. You may choose one of the following as a source for the report: Luigi, CIA, NSA, or the FBI. Include the existence and importance of Neptune and JAM, predictions about the usage of the products, Backman's involvement, government actions and involvement, plus the presence of other entities such as Mossad.
This section contains 2,658 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)