Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man supposedly located at this time?
2. Who is Luigi's employer?
3. Where does the exchange take place?
4. What is Joel's former occupation?
5. What is the man's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
2. How does Backman manage to contact Neal now that the smartphone has been stolen? What is Backman's main concern regarding the theft?
3. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
4. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
5. Backman goes to the Pentagon to meet with Major Roland. Discuss the meeting and the information delivered by Backman.
6. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
7. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
8. What is the next morning's news regarding Backman's release? What is Carl Pratt's opinion?
9. How is the Critz situation handled?
10. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
Essay Topic 1
The US government strikes more than one deal with Backman. The first is a pardon with the hopes that Backman will confess to the whereabouts of JAM. The plan fails. The second and biggest deal involves Backman's freedom and safety in exchange for the JAM computer disks. Discuss Backman's deals with the government. Who made the deals on behalf of the government? Who gave the deal maker authorization? Why and how was the first deal flawed? What should have been done differently? Why is the government allowed to pardon Backman if he committed a federal crime? Why does the US government make the second deal? Do you think Backman is deserving of either deal? Explain. If the government made the last deal with Backman, why does Backman doubt his safety? Why does Backman think that the government will continue to track and perhaps try to kill him? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Francesca Ferro is in a vulnerable state when she meets Joel Backman aka Marco Lazzeri. Discuss Francesca's situation. What is Backman's complaint about Francesca? What does Backman learn from Luigi? What is the relationship between Francesca and Backman? What is Francesca's home situation? How does Francesca's mother react when Backman carries Francesca into the apartment? Why is there tension between Francesca and Giovanni? What do you think will happen with Francesca and Backman?
Essay Topic 3
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)