|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the man have in his possession that caused the murder?
2. Luigi's employer must report to which of the following?
3. Herzog lived on a diet of which two junk food items?
4. Who did Morgan pardon against the advice of many?
5. What was the name of Arthur's last friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. At this point in the story what is the general structure of Backman's average day? What things does he do daily?
2. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
3. What is Pratt's recollection of the Backman case? Who was involved? What was the main subject of the case?
4. Who is Duke Mongo? Why is his pardon such a huge controversy?
5. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
6. Why is there tension between Backman and Ermanno? What is Backman's demand?
7. What are the President's immediate plans after leaving office? What are the opinions of his wife and others regarding these plans?
8. Discuss Mrs. Critz's doubts about her husband's death. Does she know how and why her husband died? Does she tell anyone about her suspicions?
9. What is Joel Backman's family situation?
10. Discuss the meeting between Sandberg and Pratt. Who are Sandberg and Pratt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John Grisham uses a great deal of technical information regarding JAM, Neptune, and other intricate matters. Grisham states, however, that he has little to know knowledge of these things or satellites, smartphones, etc. How do you think Grisham got the information he needed to write the book? Were there any glaring technical errors in the book? Why not write about familiar subjects? Why is law Grisham's forte? What type of experts might have been used to help with research or the editing phase of the project? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The government chooses to send Backman to Treviso as part of the deal. Why Treviso? Why Italy? What are Backman's thoughts? What are Backman's preferred locations? What must Backman do to prepare for the trip? Why does Backman have to learn to speak Italian? Wouldn't it be easier to go to an English speaking region or country? Describe in detail Backman's safe houses in Italy and how he is able to adapt to the surroundings. Also discuss Backman's struggles to learn the language and Luigi's efforts to help Backman acclimate to the new environment.
Essay Topic 3
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)