|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arthur decided to buy a small house in which state?
2. What is the name of Marco's tutor?
3. What lofty position is held by Teddy Maynard?
4. Who has a meeting with Pratt?
5. The item in question was considered to be a ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the situation with Critz in London? Who approaches Critz with an offer?
2. Discuss Backman's plan to communicate with Neal. Does the plan work?
3. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
4. What is the next morning's news regarding Backman's release? What is Carl Pratt's opinion?
5. What is Backman's cover story? What is his new identity?
6. What does Backman do on his second day in Bologna? Who does he meet?
7. Discuss Mrs. Critz's doubts about her husband's death. Does she know how and why her husband died? Does she tell anyone about her suspicions?
8. The FBI learns about a bank account in Grand Cayman that is most likely connected to Joel Backman. Discuss the discovery and the FBI's request of Teddy Maynard.
9. Why is there tension between Backman and Ermanno? What is Backman's demand?
10. How does Luigi propose Backman deal with the language barrier? What will Backman tell the locals about his lack of knowledge about the language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl Pratt is an attorney and former business partner to Joel Backman. Discuss Pratt's role in the story. What was Pratt's involvement in the JAM deal? Did Pratt know what Backman was doing and/or planned to do? What is Pratt's opinion on the entire situation? What charges were brought against Pratt at the trial? How was Pratt released? What did Backman do to protect Pratt? Did Pratt take over the business on a temporary or permanent basis? What were Pratt's thoughts when he learned that Backman was going to be released? Were Pratt's fears rational? What is Pratt's opinion on Backman? Why does Pratt agree to help Backman by contacting Clayburn and arranging the meeting? What is Pratt's position when the story ends? Do you think Pratt and Backman will ever work together again? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
From the time Backman landed in Italy he seemed to be formulating a plan to get away from Luigi, the military and other agencies. Discuss Backman's plan to go on the run. Is it a smart move to try to get away? What are Backman's obstacles? Can those obstacles be overcome? Backman is not aware of the level of surveillance he is under and would perhaps make another decision if he knew. Examine what Backman did and did not know about the surveillance, Luigi, the other American agencies, and the involvement of the foreign factions, including the Tin Man. If Backman does get away, where will he go? How will he get there? What will he use for money? Who might be willing to help Backman execute the plan? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)