|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Backman have?
2. On what street does Rudolph live?
3. Where did Morgan plan to go immediately after the transfer of power?
4. Where does Backman's mother live?
5. Ermanno becomes upset when Marco wants him to change which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the President's immediate plans after leaving office? What are the opinions of his wife and others regarding these plans?
2. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
3. Who is Duke Mongo? Why is his pardon such a huge controversy?
4. Why is the CIA worried that Backman might attempt to contact his family? What precautions are taken in case Backman should try to get in contact with someone?
5. Discuss Mrs. Critz's doubts about her husband's death. Does she know how and why her husband died? Does she tell anyone about her suspicions?
6. What are Maynard's proposed plans for Backman? What has been done so far?
7. How does Luigi propose Backman deal with the language barrier? What will Backman tell the locals about his lack of knowledge about the language?
8. Discuss Backman's plan to communicate with Neal. Does the plan work?
9. Who is Teddy Maynard? Why is he an important figure in the story? What is Maynard's relationship with the President?
10. What happens when Backman arrives at the military hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The US government strikes more than one deal with Backman. The first is a pardon with the hopes that Backman will confess to the whereabouts of JAM. The plan fails. The second and biggest deal involves Backman's freedom and safety in exchange for the JAM computer disks. Discuss Backman's deals with the government. Who made the deals on behalf of the government? Who gave the deal maker authorization? Why and how was the first deal flawed? What should have been done differently? Why is the government allowed to pardon Backman if he committed a federal crime? Why does the US government make the second deal? Do you think Backman is deserving of either deal? Explain. If the government made the last deal with Backman, why does Backman doubt his safety? Why does Backman think that the government will continue to track and perhaps try to kill him? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Clayburn's role in the story. Who is Clayburn? Why is he affiliated with the story? Is he still an active part of the Washington scene? How does Backman know Clayburn? Are the men friends, colleagues or something else? Why does Backman want to get in touch with Clayburn? How is Pratt able to find the man? What is Clayburn's response to Pratt's request? Does Clayburn meet with Backman? What is Clayburn's affiliation with the Pentagon? Does Clayburn do as he is asked? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)