|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Arthur's last friend?
2. Who approaches Joel with the paperwork on his new identity?
3. What is Rudolph's last name?
4. What is Marco drinking just before he goes to bed?
5. What language did Teddy learn when he was 60?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Backman go shopping? Why does he have to have permission from Luigi?
2. The FBI learns about a bank account in Grand Cayman that is most likely connected to Joel Backman. Discuss the discovery and the FBI's request of Teddy Maynard.
3. What is the situation with Critz in London? Who approaches Critz with an offer?
4. What happens when Backman arrives at the military hospital?
5. Why is there tension between Backman and Ermanno? What is Backman's demand?
6. Who is Duke Mongo? Why is his pardon such a huge controversy?
7. What does Backman do shortly after arriving in Treviso?
8. What are the President's immediate plans after leaving office? What are the opinions of his wife and others regarding these plans?
9. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
10. Who is the President of the United States? What is his current status?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used in several parts of the story, including Neal's interaction with his father and the plans orchestrated by Teddy Maynard. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing and explain each. Why does Grisham choose to use this method? Is foreshadowing a typical part of this type of story? Explain. Also create a new way in which foreshadowing could be used in this story or one similar to it.
Essay Topic 2
Joel and Neal Backman are both ambitious lawyers although Joel took a chance that landed him in prison for 20 years while Neal managed to get his life in order after the scandal died down. Compare and contrast Joel and Neal Backman. Which is the most honest? Which is the smartest? What are the biggest differences? Do you think Neal wants to be more or less like his father? How does Lisa view the relationship? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The US government strikes more than one deal with Backman. The first is a pardon with the hopes that Backman will confess to the whereabouts of JAM. The plan fails. The second and biggest deal involves Backman's freedom and safety in exchange for the JAM computer disks. Discuss Backman's deals with the government. Who made the deals on behalf of the government? Who gave the deal maker authorization? Why and how was the first deal flawed? What should have been done differently? Why is the government allowed to pardon Backman if he committed a federal crime? Why does the US government make the second deal? Do you think Backman is deserving of either deal? Explain. If the government made the last deal with Backman, why does Backman doubt his safety? Why does Backman think that the government will continue to track and perhaps try to kill him? Explain.
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)