|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The police believe the death was caused by an accident involving ____.
2. The money is believed to be part of a plan to purchase which of the following?
3. To which president is the man compared?
4. What is the approximate population of Padua?
5. At which airport does this occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the CIA worried that Backman might attempt to contact his family? What precautions are taken in case Backman should try to get in contact with someone?
2. Discuss Backman's plan to communicate with Neal. Does the plan work?
3. What is Backman's cover story? What is his new identity?
4. What happens when Teddy Maynard learns about Critz's activities?
5. What are the President's immediate plans after leaving office? What are the opinions of his wife and others regarding these plans?
6. Discuss the meeting between Sandberg and Pratt. Who are Sandberg and Pratt?
7. Why does Backman go shopping? Why does he have to have permission from Luigi?
8. Where does the government send Backman? Who is Backman's "handler?"
9. What happens when Backman arrives at the military hospital?
10. How does Luigi propose Backman deal with the language barrier? What will Backman tell the locals about his lack of knowledge about the language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Clayburn's role in the story. Who is Clayburn? Why is he affiliated with the story? Is he still an active part of the Washington scene? How does Backman know Clayburn? Are the men friends, colleagues or something else? Why does Backman want to get in touch with Clayburn? How is Pratt able to find the man? What is Clayburn's response to Pratt's request? Does Clayburn meet with Backman? What is Clayburn's affiliation with the Pentagon? Does Clayburn do as he is asked? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used in several parts of the story, including Neal's interaction with his father and the plans orchestrated by Teddy Maynard. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing and explain each. Why does Grisham choose to use this method? Is foreshadowing a typical part of this type of story? Explain. Also create a new way in which foreshadowing could be used in this story or one similar to it.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)