|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel where the exchange will supposedly take place?
2. What is the name of a small Italian restaurant?
3. What is the name of the man accused of sexual misconduct with a minor?
4. What is the son's occupation?
5. What is the name of Maynard's aide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Teddy Maynard learns about Critz's activities?
2. The FBI learns about a bank account in Grand Cayman that is most likely connected to Joel Backman. Discuss the discovery and the FBI's request of Teddy Maynard.
3. How is the Critz situation handled?
4. Who is the President of the United States? What is his current status?
5. Where does the government send Backman? Who is Backman's "handler?"
6. Why is the CIA worried that Backman might attempt to contact his family? What precautions are taken in case Backman should try to get in contact with someone?
7. At this point in the story what is the general structure of Backman's average day? What things does he do daily?
8. How does Luigi propose Backman deal with the language barrier? What will Backman tell the locals about his lack of knowledge about the language?
9. It is never clear to Backman who Luigi is or who he works for in the US. Who does Luigi work for and to whom does he report?
10. Discuss Backman's plan to communicate with Neal. Does the plan work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joel Backman was not the only one to suffer from the trial that sent him to prison for twenty years. Neal Backman and Carl Pratt were also charged. Pratt returned to his law firm but Neal was left without a job. Discuss Neal's downfall. What charges were brought against Neal? Was Neal prosecuted for his part in the JAM deal? Explain. What did Backman do to save his son from going to prison? What kind of reception did Neal receive from his company after the trial was over? Why was it so difficult for Neal to get a job? Where does Neal end up? What is Lisa's opinion of the whole situation? Do you think Neal has made a full recovery from the trauma surrounding his father's arrest and imprisonment? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story from the point of view of Joel Backman 5 years from now. Where do you think Backman will be? Will he remain in Italy? Will he return to the US as promised? Will Backman ever start up the lobbying firm? Also examine Backman's future family relationships and interaction with Francesca.
Essay Topic 3
Write a final report on the Backman case. The report should be at least 1000 words. You may choose one of the following as a source for the report: Luigi, CIA, NSA, or the FBI. Include the existence and importance of Neptune and JAM, predictions about the usage of the products, Backman's involvement, government actions and involvement, plus the presence of other entities such as Mossad.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)