|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years had Backman spent in prison?
2. Who has a meeting with Pratt?
3. How many people does Marco approach at the airport regarding the letter?
4. To cover up for his bad Italian language skills Marco is supposed to tell people that he was raised in what other country?
5. What is the name of Maynard's aide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the meeting between Backman and Rudolph. Why does Backman trust Rudolph?
2. What happens when Backman arrives at the military hospital?
3. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
4. What is the situation with Critz in London? Who approaches Critz with an offer?
5. Why is there tension between Backman and Ermanno? What is Backman's demand?
6. What are Maynard's proposed plans for Backman? What has been done so far?
7. Discuss Backman's plan to communicate with Neal. Does the plan work?
8. What is Joel Backman's family situation?
9. What happens when Teddy Maynard learns about Critz's activities?
10. What obstacles does Critz run into when he attempts to get information on Backman? Who does he contact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carl Pratt is an attorney and former business partner to Joel Backman. Discuss Pratt's role in the story. What was Pratt's involvement in the JAM deal? Did Pratt know what Backman was doing and/or planned to do? What is Pratt's opinion on the entire situation? What charges were brought against Pratt at the trial? How was Pratt released? What did Backman do to protect Pratt? Did Pratt take over the business on a temporary or permanent basis? What were Pratt's thoughts when he learned that Backman was going to be released? Were Pratt's fears rational? What is Pratt's opinion on Backman? Why does Pratt agree to help Backman by contacting Clayburn and arranging the meeting? What is Pratt's position when the story ends? Do you think Pratt and Backman will ever work together again? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write a final report on the Backman case. The report should be at least 1000 words. You may choose one of the following as a source for the report: Luigi, CIA, NSA, or the FBI. Include the existence and importance of Neptune and JAM, predictions about the usage of the products, Backman's involvement, government actions and involvement, plus the presence of other entities such as Mossad.
Essay Topic 3
Backman decides the right thing to do is to turn JAM over to the Pentagon. Discuss Backman's decision. Why did Backman make the choice? Was it the right choice? Was Backman concerned about national security or did he have a bout with his conscience? Does Backman get paid for the program? Does Backman turn everything over or does he hold something back? Explain. What do you think the Pentagon intends to do with JAM? Do you think Backman is safe now? Explain.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)