|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is approached about the whereabouts of Backman?
2. Marco tells his handlers that he wants to live in which Italian city?
3. What is the man's occupation?
4. According to Luigi, which drink can be consumed at any time of the day or night without appearing inappropriate?
5. What is the name of the CIA liaison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Backman's plan to communicate with Neal. Does the plan work?
2. It is never clear to Backman who Luigi is or who he works for in the US. Who does Luigi work for and to whom does he report?
3. What happens when Backman arrives at the military hospital?
4. Discuss the meeting between Backman and Rudolph. Why does Backman trust Rudolph?
5. What is Backman's cover story? What is his new identity?
6. Who is the President of the United States? What is his current status?
7. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
8. The FBI learns about a bank account in Grand Cayman that is most likely connected to Joel Backman. Discuss the discovery and the FBI's request of Teddy Maynard.
9. At this point in the story what is the general structure of Backman's average day? What things does he do daily?
10. Why does Backman go shopping? Why does he have to have permission from Luigi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
Essay Topic 2
Joel Backman was not the only one to suffer from the trial that sent him to prison for twenty years. Neal Backman and Carl Pratt were also charged. Pratt returned to his law firm but Neal was left without a job. Discuss Neal's downfall. What charges were brought against Neal? Was Neal prosecuted for his part in the JAM deal? Explain. What did Backman do to save his son from going to prison? What kind of reception did Neal receive from his company after the trial was over? Why was it so difficult for Neal to get a job? Where does Neal end up? What is Lisa's opinion of the whole situation? Do you think Neal has made a full recovery from the trauma surrounding his father's arrest and imprisonment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Joel and Neal Backman are both ambitious lawyers although Joel took a chance that landed him in prison for 20 years while Neal managed to get his life in order after the scandal died down. Compare and contrast Joel and Neal Backman. Which is the most honest? Which is the smartest? What are the biggest differences? Do you think Neal wants to be more or less like his father? How does Lisa view the relationship? Explain.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)