Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man supposedly located at this time?
2. Who is Luigi's employer?
3. Where does the exchange take place?
4. What is Joel's former occupation?
5. What is the man's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Susan Penn? What is her role in the story? What information does she give to the President?
2. How does Backman manage to contact Neal now that the smartphone has been stolen? What is Backman's main concern regarding the theft?
3. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
4. Discuss the scene at Francesca's apartment. Who is there? Who is noticeably absent from the scene?
5. Backman goes to the Pentagon to meet with Major Roland. Discuss the meeting and the information delivered by Backman.
6. What is Backman's plan after he leaves Milan?
7. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
8. What is the next morning's news regarding Backman's release? What is Carl Pratt's opinion?
9. How is the Critz situation handled?
10. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
Foreshadowing is used in several parts of the story, including Neal's interaction with his father and the plans orchestrated by Teddy Maynard. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing and explain each. Why does Grisham choose to use this method? Is foreshadowing a typical part of this type of story? Explain. Also create a new way in which foreshadowing could be used in this story or one similar to it.
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
One way in which Backman was violated was through the treatment in prison. Discuss Backman's prison experience? Why was Backman in solitary confinement? How long did that last? Where is the Rudley Federal Correction Facility? Who knows where Backman is imprisoned? What types of coercion does Teddy Maynard employ to try to get Backman to confess? Does it work? What is the state of Backman's physical and mental health? Is there any way to improve either? Explain. Also explain how Backman's treatment at Rudley is a clear violation of the man's civil rights.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)