|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Backman's first name?
2. Who did Morgan pardon against the advice of many?
3. How many children does Backman have?
4. What is the name of the president's son?
5. What is the name of Critz's old buddy from the CIA?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the meeting between Backman and Rudolph. Why does Backman trust Rudolph?
2. What happens when Teddy Maynard learns about Critz's activities?
3. Why is the CIA worried that Backman might attempt to contact his family? What precautions are taken in case Backman should try to get in contact with someone?
4. Discuss Backman's plan to communicate with Neal. Does the plan work?
5. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
6. What is Backman's cover story? What is his new identity?
7. What is the situation with Critz in London? Who approaches Critz with an offer?
8. It is never clear to Backman who Luigi is or who he works for in the US. Who does Luigi work for and to whom does he report?
9. Who is Duke Mongo? Why is his pardon such a huge controversy?
10. What is Joel Backman's family situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story from the point of view of Joel Backman 5 years from now. Where do you think Backman will be? Will he remain in Italy? Will he return to the US as promised? Will Backman ever start up the lobbying firm? Also examine Backman's future family relationships and interaction with Francesca.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Clayburn's role in the story. Who is Clayburn? Why is he affiliated with the story? Is he still an active part of the Washington scene? How does Backman know Clayburn? Are the men friends, colleagues or something else? Why does Backman want to get in touch with Clayburn? How is Pratt able to find the man? What is Clayburn's response to Pratt's request? Does Clayburn meet with Backman? What is Clayburn's affiliation with the Pentagon? Does Clayburn do as he is asked? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Write a final report on the Backman case. The report should be at least 1000 words. You may choose one of the following as a source for the report: Luigi, CIA, NSA, or the FBI. Include the existence and importance of Neptune and JAM, predictions about the usage of the products, Backman's involvement, government actions and involvement, plus the presence of other entities such as Mossad.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)