|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Backman's first name?
2. Which of the following is the president's home state?
3. Who is Luigi's employer?
4. Who has a meeting with Pratt?
5. Marco tells his handlers that he wants to live in which Italian city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joel Backman's family situation?
2. What happens when Teddy Maynard learns about Critz's activities?
3. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
4. Who is Teddy Maynard? Why is he an important figure in the story? What is Maynard's relationship with the President?
5. What does Backman do on his second day in Bologna? Who does he meet?
6. What happens when Backman arrives at the military hospital?
7. It is never clear to Backman who Luigi is or who he works for in the US. Who does Luigi work for and to whom does he report?
8. What is Backman's cover story? What is his new identity?
9. Discuss the meeting between Backman and Rudolph. Why does Backman trust Rudolph?
10. Explain Backman's opinion of the first day in Bologna. What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Francesca Ferro is in a vulnerable state when she meets Joel Backman aka Marco Lazzeri. Discuss Francesca's situation. What is Backman's complaint about Francesca? What does Backman learn from Luigi? What is the relationship between Francesca and Backman? What is Francesca's home situation? How does Francesca's mother react when Backman carries Francesca into the apartment? Why is there tension between Francesca and Giovanni? What do you think will happen with Francesca and Backman?
Essay Topic 2
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
Essay Topic 3
From the time Backman landed in Italy he seemed to be formulating a plan to get away from Luigi, the military and other agencies. Discuss Backman's plan to go on the run. Is it a smart move to try to get away? What are Backman's obstacles? Can those obstacles be overcome? Backman is not aware of the level of surveillance he is under and would perhaps make another decision if he knew. Examine what Backman did and did not know about the surveillance, Luigi, the other American agencies, and the involvement of the foreign factions, including the Tin Man. If Backman does get away, where will he go? How will he get there? What will he use for money? Who might be willing to help Backman execute the plan? Why?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)