|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel where the exchange will supposedly take place?
2. Luigi's employer must report to which of the following?
3. What is the name of Marco's new teacher?
4. What is Marco drinking just before he goes to bed?
5. Neal Backman is being watched under what level of surveillance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Backman go shopping? Why does he have to have permission from Luigi?
2. At this point in the story what is the general structure of Backman's average day? What things does he do daily?
3. Discuss the meeting between Sandberg and Pratt. Who are Sandberg and Pratt?
4. Where does the government send Backman? Who is Backman's "handler?"
5. Why is the CIA worried that Backman might attempt to contact his family? What precautions are taken in case Backman should try to get in contact with someone?
6. How does Luigi propose Backman deal with the language barrier? What will Backman tell the locals about his lack of knowledge about the language?
7. Why does Maynard want Morgan to pardon Joel Backman? Who is Joel Backman?
8. What is Backman's cover story? What is his new identity?
9. What does Backman do on his second day in Bologna? Who does he meet?
10. It is never clear to Backman who Luigi is or who he works for in the US. Who does Luigi work for and to whom does he report?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the time Backman landed in Italy he seemed to be formulating a plan to get away from Luigi, the military and other agencies. Discuss Backman's plan to go on the run. Is it a smart move to try to get away? What are Backman's obstacles? Can those obstacles be overcome? Backman is not aware of the level of surveillance he is under and would perhaps make another decision if he knew. Examine what Backman did and did not know about the surveillance, Luigi, the other American agencies, and the involvement of the foreign factions, including the Tin Man. If Backman does get away, where will he go? How will he get there? What will he use for money? Who might be willing to help Backman execute the plan? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Many different agencies play a part in the story. There are several from foreign countries such as England, Israel, Iraq, and China. The American agencies include the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Justice Department, the National Security Administration (NSA), the Pentagon, the White House, and some that remain unnamed. Write a description of each agency, what it does, and why it is involved in the Backman and/or JAM situation. Also discuss which are also involved in the bribe scandal. Choose two to compare and contrast for a better understanding of their parts in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Joel and Neal Backman are both ambitious lawyers although Joel took a chance that landed him in prison for 20 years while Neal managed to get his life in order after the scandal died down. Compare and contrast Joel and Neal Backman. Which is the most honest? Which is the smartest? What are the biggest differences? Do you think Neal wants to be more or less like his father? How does Lisa view the relationship? Explain.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)