|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Morgan pardon against the advice of many?
2. The old school friend served in every government position except which of the following?
3. What is Joel's new surname?
4. What is the name of Marco's contact?
5. How old is Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident happens that results in an injury to Francesca? What does Backman do to help?
2. Why is the CIA worried that Backman might attempt to contact his family? What precautions are taken in case Backman should try to get in contact with someone?
3. What happens when Neal receives the letter from his father? What does Neal do next? What does Lisa think of the plan?
4. How does Backman's plan change once he arrives in Switzerland?
5. What are the issues between Francesca and Giovanni? What is the current state of the relationship?
6. Describe the scene in which Backman is approached by two FBI agents.
7. Who is Duke Mongo? Why is his pardon such a huge controversy?
8. What promises does Backman make to Neal?
9. At this point in the story what is the general structure of Backman's average day? What things does he do daily?
10. Discuss the meeting between Sandberg and Pratt. Who are Sandberg and Pratt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a journal from the point of view of Teddy Maynard. Begin with the plan to release Backman. Include the details of the plan, how Maynard orchestrated the deal, the desired confession, Morgan's role in the story, Javier's assistance, etc. Also include Maynard's thoughts after he was fired and what his plans are for the future.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used in several parts of the story, including Neal's interaction with his father and the plans orchestrated by Teddy Maynard. Choose at least three examples of foreshadowing and explain each. Why does Grisham choose to use this method? Is foreshadowing a typical part of this type of story? Explain. Also create a new way in which foreshadowing could be used in this story or one similar to it.
Essay Topic 3
Francesca Ferro is in a vulnerable state when she meets Joel Backman aka Marco Lazzeri. Discuss Francesca's situation. What is Backman's complaint about Francesca? What does Backman learn from Luigi? What is the relationship between Francesca and Backman? What is Francesca's home situation? How does Francesca's mother react when Backman carries Francesca into the apartment? Why is there tension between Francesca and Giovanni? What do you think will happen with Francesca and Backman?
This section contains 2,656 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)