|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose funeral is delayed?
2. To cover up for his bad Italian language skills Marco is supposed to tell people that he was raised in what other country?
3. What is Mrs. Backman's first name?
4. What is the man's occupation?
5. Where is the man supposedly located at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Pratt's recollection of the Backman case? Who was involved? What was the main subject of the case?
2. How is the Critz situation handled?
3. How does Luigi propose Backman deal with the language barrier? What will Backman tell the locals about his lack of knowledge about the language?
4. Why does Backman go shopping? Why does he have to have permission from Luigi?
5. Why is the CIA worried that Backman might attempt to contact his family? What precautions are taken in case Backman should try to get in contact with someone?
6. What happens when Teddy Maynard learns about Critz's activities?
7. What is the situation with Critz in London? Who approaches Critz with an offer?
8. Discuss the meeting between Sandberg and Pratt. Who are Sandberg and Pratt?
9. Who is Teddy Maynard? Why is he an important figure in the story? What is Maynard's relationship with the President?
10. What is Joel Backman's family situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grisham examines the existence of JAM, a program designed to block transmissions to and from satellites in space. Discuss JAM. Do you think it exists? If so, where and how is it used? Who uses it? If it does not exist, how long do you think it might take to develop such a system? Technologically speaking, who is most likely to create and develop this type of program? Research the internet for information on this type of product. Write about the information found. Also discuss what Grisham's current opinion might be on this topic.
Essay Topic 2
Joel Backman was not the only one to suffer from the trial that sent him to prison for twenty years. Neal Backman and Carl Pratt were also charged. Pratt returned to his law firm but Neal was left without a job. Discuss Neal's downfall. What charges were brought against Neal? Was Neal prosecuted for his part in the JAM deal? Explain. What did Backman do to save his son from going to prison? What kind of reception did Neal receive from his company after the trial was over? Why was it so difficult for Neal to get a job? Where does Neal end up? What is Lisa's opinion of the whole situation? Do you think Neal has made a full recovery from the trauma surrounding his father's arrest and imprisonment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Carl Pratt is an attorney and former business partner to Joel Backman. Discuss Pratt's role in the story. What was Pratt's involvement in the JAM deal? Did Pratt know what Backman was doing and/or planned to do? What is Pratt's opinion on the entire situation? What charges were brought against Pratt at the trial? How was Pratt released? What did Backman do to protect Pratt? Did Pratt take over the business on a temporary or permanent basis? What were Pratt's thoughts when he learned that Backman was going to be released? Were Pratt's fears rational? What is Pratt's opinion on Backman? Why does Pratt agree to help Backman by contacting Clayburn and arranging the meeting? What is Pratt's position when the story ends? Do you think Pratt and Backman will ever work together again? Explain.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)