* President Morgan prepares to leave office.
* Morgan considers issuing pardons.
* Morgan lost the election in a landslide.
* Morgan refuses one bribe.
* Reader is introduced to Teddy Maynard.
* Maynard is the head of the CIA.
* Morgan and Maynard dislike each other.
* Maynard is dying.
* Maynard plans to pardon Joel Backman.
* Backman was sent to prison six years earlier.
* Maynard plans to get information from Backman.
* Backman may meet with an untimely demise.
* Backman is released from prison.
* Backman agrees to the conditions of the pardon.
* Backman asks for protection.
* Backman is released and put under the watchful eye of the military.
* Backman is headed to parts unknown.
* Backman's family, friends and associates learn about his release.
* Reader is introduced to Carl Pratt.
* Pratt is Backman's ex-partner and attorney.
* Backman's case is recounted.
* Pratt worries that Backman will try to return to the office.
* Pratt recounts Backman's plea...
This section contains 1,302 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)