|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6 of "The Broken Cord" who did Michael overhear talking about Adam's birth parents?
2. Michael described in Chapter 2 of "The Broken Cord" how he was awakened after getting Adam moved from Littleton and told what about Adam?
3. Who conducted the study upon which the program director mentioned in Chapter 5 indicated he had based his decision on to reject Adam's admittance to a program?
4. When was the study conducted about excessive drinking among Native Americans, as referred to in Chapter 6 of "The Broken Cord"?
5. What was the name of the woman in charge of the naming ceremony in which Michael and Adam participated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Louise's position on alcohol rehabilitation programs?
2. How did Michael describe his anticipation and first meeting with Adam?
3. What happened when Michael took Adam for testing by a professional psychologist in Chapter 5 of "The Broken Cord?"
4. How did Michael respond to complaints on the Indian reservation about government cuts and their community?
5. How old was Michael and where was he living when he decided he wanted to have a child of his own?
6. How did Michael find out about Adam's birth parents and why did he not want to know about them when he adopted Adam?
7. How did Adam end up at the Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital and why?
8. Why was Adam's application rejected for the program in Norwich, VA?
9. By adopting Adam, what did Michael believe about Adam's quality of life compared to not adopting him, as noted in details provided in Chapter 4 through 6 of the book?
10. How did Michael's dream the night before the naming ceremony end up being connected with the ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael attended a variety of conferences and conventions with alcohol researchers, experts, etc. Examine the benefits and drawbacks of these venues and participant interactions in connection with Michael's project as well as in connection with his role as the parent of a child with FAS.
Essay Topic 2
Michael detailed the economic impact of alcoholism in the last chapters of the book in connection with children with FAS who grow into adulthood. Louise described in the Foreword the economic responsibility she felt liquor businesses had to help rehabilitate alcoholics. What were the specifics of each argument in relation to fetal alcohol syndrome/effect, parental responsibility, economic impact for non productive citizens, etc; and what made each argument effective, ineffective?
Essay Topic 3
Besides health challenges, Adam had behavioral issues as well. Explain some of the Adam's more significant behavioral issues and how they impacted his relationships with his family -- Michael, Louise and his siblings; as well as work and school relationships with coworkers, teachers, and students.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)