|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Louise's occupation when she wrote the Foreword to "The Broken Cord?"
2. Where did Michael stay when he waited to hear Adam's condition once Adam was moved from the Littleton hospital?
3. Who did Michael have a relationship with as noted in Chapter 3 of the book, but she could not handle life with Adam and Michael?
4. When Michael conveyed to a friend his concerns about Adam's treatment at the Littleton hospital, his friend suggested Michael take Adam where?
5. In Chapter 6 of "The Broken Cord" Michael recounted a story about drinking heavily with a girlfriend and neither of them realizing she had broken a bone in what part of her body?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6 of "The Broken Cord" what happened with Michael and a girlfriend that drank heavily one night?
2. What happened with Adam's health about three weeks after the Littleton hospital visit?
3. What happened when Michael contacted the doctors from the two hospitals for help with Adam when he seized after a snow day, as detailed in Chapter 3 of the book?
4. What advice did a nurse at the hospital in Littleton give when she found out Michael was in the process of adopting Adam?
5. What happened with Adam's hair on the trip for the naming ceremony?
6. After Adam's initial health issues, what did Michael note in Chapter 3 of "The Broken Cord" about Adam's recovery over a period of time?
7. In the Foreword, what did Louise describe as the most "damaging aspect" of fetal alcohol syndrome and why?
8. What did the social worker tell Michael about Adam when Michael was contacted about Adam's adoption availability?
9. What did Adam notice about Adam's functionality in relation to other children with FAS as mentioned in Chapters 4 through 6 of "The Broken Cord?"
10. How did Michael feel about a home visit and what did he do in preparation, according to details in Chapter 2 of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael attended a variety of conferences and conventions with alcohol researchers, experts, etc. Examine the benefits and drawbacks of these venues and participant interactions in connection with Michael's project as well as in connection with his role as the parent of a child with FAS.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book Michael remained committed to Adam as his adopted son, even before he met Adam. Discuss the theme of commitment in "The Broken Cord," providing insights into how this concept was presented and developed throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
What key points did Charlotte Braveheart and Brenda, the Lakota in South Dakota, make about FAS that hit home with Michael in regards to Adam's challenges and potential? How did these insights affect Michael?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)