|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What social worker did Michael mention picked him up from the airport when he waited to be taken to pick up Adam for adoption?
2. Who did Michael have a relationship with as noted in Chapter 3 of the book, but she could not handle life with Adam and Michael?
3. On the way to the naming ceremony, what did Adam get tangled in his hair?
4. Who traveled with Michael and Adam to the Indian reservation after Michael had experiences discrimination while booking a hotel for him and Adam?
5. Where did Michael stay when he waited to hear Adam's condition once Adam was moved from the Littleton hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Michael find out about Adam's birth parents and why did he not want to know about them when he adopted Adam?
2. After Adam's initial health issues, what did Michael note in Chapter 3 of "The Broken Cord" about Adam's recovery over a period of time?
3. What happened with Adam's health about three weeks after the Littleton hospital visit?
4. How did Michael describe his anticipation and first meeting with Adam?
5. What happened when Michael contacted the doctors from the two hospitals for help with Adam when he seized after a snow day, as detailed in Chapter 3 of the book?
6. What advice did a nurse at the hospital in Littleton give when she found out Michael was in the process of adopting Adam?
7. In the Foreword, what did Louise describe as the most "damaging aspect" of fetal alcohol syndrome and why?
8. What happened with Adam's hair on the trip for the naming ceremony?
9. How did Adam end up at the Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital and why?
10. What did Michael learn about Adam's birth parents and siblings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Foreword to "The Broken Cord," Louise Erdrich discusses her relationship with her adopted son Adam and her perspective about parental responsibility in connection with alcohol and pregnant women. Discuss the relationship between Louise and Adam and how this growing connection impacted Louise's perspective about parental responsibility, alcohol and pregnant women.
Essay Topic 2
Both of Adam's birth parents abused alcohol. What role/influence did Adam's birth parents play/have in Adam's life from birth to adulthood, even as Michael became Adam's adopted father? Include significant moments, including before Adam was born; when Michael found out details about them from social workers; when Adam's birth father died; when Adam turned 21.
Essay Topic 3
After Michael adopted Sava at the age of two, Michael had something to compare Adam's early years to. How did having Sava at an early age enlighten Michael to the many areas in which Adam lagged, and what were the things that Sava accomplished at these early stages that Michael now realized Adam never did?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)