|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As described in Chapter 1, Michael was doing field work in what Indian community in Alaska when he decided he wanted to adopt a child?
2. How old was Adam's birth mother when she died?
3. When Adam and a girlfriend drank heavily, according to Michael's recounting in Chapter 6 of "The Broken Cord," when did they realize she had a broken bone?
(a) That night.
(b) When she got to a doctor.
(c) The next day.
(d) After she went home in pain.
4. What was the name of the woman in charge of the naming ceremony in which Michael and Adam participated?
5. Why was Michael's return trip from Montreal longer than when he traveled there?
(a) Bad weather.
(b) Vehcile repairs.
(c) Adam's health.
(d) His health.
6. How old was Michael when he began the process to have his own child as a single parent?
7. In Chapter 6 of "The Broken Cord" Michael recounted a story about drinking heavily with a girlfriend and neither of them realizing she had broken a bone in what part of her body?
8. To what U.S. state did Michael move, in order to become a faculty member at a small university as detailed in Chapter 1 of "The Broken Cord?"
(a) New Hampshire.
(b) South Dakota.
9. What did Michael's Indian name mean?
(a) Fly with the Eagle.
(c) Black Bear.
(d) Eagle Wing.
10. Michael mentioned in Chapter 3 that he was offered a teaching job where?
(a) New Zealand.
(b) Tucson, AZ.
(c) Enfield, NH.
(d) Quebec, Canada.
11. What was Louise's occupation when she wrote the Foreword to "The Broken Cord?"
(b) Fiction writer.
(d) Non-fiction writer.
12. How long did the social workers insist Michael wait before taking Adam home and agreeing to adopt Adam?
(a) At least a week.
(b) A month.
(c) A few days.
(d) Three weeks.
13. Where did Michael stay when he waited to hear Adam's condition once Adam was moved from the Littleton hospital?
(a) A friend's home.
(b) A hotel.
(c) His car.
(d) The waiting room.
14. In Michael's dream before the naming ceremony, up against what did the animals hit?
(a) The hotel door.
(b) His chest.
(c) His windshield.
(d) The hotel window.
15. Who did Michael have a relationship with as noted in Chapter 3 of the book, but she could not handle life with Adam and Michael?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Michael given during the naming ceremony?
2. What did Adam's Indian name mean?
3. In Chapters 4 through 6 who saw Adam's picture and told Michael that Adam reminded them of someone back home?
4. What birthday did Michael mention Adam celebrated in Chapter 2 of the book?
5. Where was the program located that Michael applied to for Adam in Chapter 5 of "The Broken Cord," but the application was rejected?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)