|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe live with?
2. What does Ginny think is a disease?
3. What lie does Ginny tell Mr. Chalmers to get into the art gallery?
4. Who is the goddess of love?
5. What does Grandma say Ginny's mother used to steal Tony away from Janet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ginny find out about Joe Chicago in this section?
2. Why is painting the broken bridge so important to Ginny?
3. How does Ginny persuade Joe to give her his jacket?
4. What does Joe tell Ginny about her father?
5. What does the returning of Joe's jacket symbolize for Ginny?
6. What does Helen confide to Ginny?
7. What does Ginny's father tell her about his own childhood?
8. What major turning point happens at the end of this section?
9. How does the author view the retirement years?
10. Why does Ginny get angry when she goes to see Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ginny develop as an artist? What major events happen in this story that change Ginny's mind about what art means?
Essay Topic 2
How has being the black girl in her town affected Ginny and her sense of identity? How has she managed to cope with being the outsider? What positive effects has it had on her character?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Ginny's character to the person she was at the beginning of the book to who she is at the end.
1. What did Ginny hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes her ideas about life?
3. How has Ginny's character changed by the end of the story?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)