|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years younger than the Gangster is Beli?
2. In what direction do the Secret Police take Beli in Part I, Chapter Three?
3. How long does Oscar have two girlfriends at once?
4. How old was Belicia when her aunt took her in?
5. What is Lola reading when her mother calls her into the bathroom in Part I, Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lola doing and why doesn't she want to come when her mother calls her into the bathroom at the beginning of Part I, Chapter 2?
2. What was the Gangster's early life like?
3. How did Lola help her mother before she was thirteen?
4. Why does Oscar consider it odd that Miggs can get a girlfriend?
5. What happens when the Police grab Beli a second time in Part I, Chapter Three?
6. What does Beli see after she is left for dead in the cane field?
7. What does Oscar learn about Ana in Part I, Character One?
8. What was the Gangster doing by the time he was between the ages of 12 and 14?
9. How and where does Beli get her first job?
10. How does La Inca decide to send Beli to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar struggled after college. Why did Oscar suffer with depression and suicide after his college graduation?
Essay Topic 2
Beli has an affair with a man known as the Gangster. Why did this affair cause her bodily harm and eventually lead to her moving to the U.S.?
Essay Topic 3
Beli's believes that her first job defines her coming of age; in what ways did Beli's first job help her mature and grow up?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)