|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many jobs had Belicia worked to buy the house where she lives with Lola and Oscar?
2. What years are covered in Part I, Chapter Three?
3. Who rescues Beli the first time Soy Trujillo's thugs try to take Beli for an abortion?
4. Who finally persuades Beli to forget Jack Pujols?
5. At what age is Belicia allowed to straighten her hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lola help her mother before she was thirteen?
2. In Part I, Chapter Two, what does Lola say about her mother's parenting skills?
3. Why doesn't La Inca ever beat Belia?
4. What does Oscar do when he spends the summer at his abuela Nena Inca's house?
5. Why does Beli get expelled from school?
6. What does Lola do after she cuts her hair and her mother tells her to wear a wig?
7. How does the Gangster court Beli?
8. Why does Oscar consider it odd that Miggs can get a girlfriend?
9. Who are two other outcasts at school where Belicia attends?
10. In Part I, Chapter Three, why does the narrator think Belicia is ungrateful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oscar's family had a lot of bad luck. What explanation did the family give for all of their bad luck and why?
Essay Topic 2
Beli's believes that her first job defines her coming of age; in what ways did Beli's first job help her mature and grow up?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, Yunior rooms with Oscar in college. Why does Yunior room with Oscar when he doesn't really like him?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)