|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mihailo RistiÃƒâ€žÃ¢â‚¬Â¡'s give shelter to in his large home during bombardments?
2. Who is arrested in October 1908 for tearing down something on the kapia?
3. Who is Pietro Sola?
4. What is the reaction of Visegrad Muslims to a census at the beginning of Chapter 13?
5. What is Alihodja sure he can hear coming form the marketplace at the end of Chapter 24?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Gregor Fedun glad to be a streifkorps?
2. What is Janko StikoviÄ‡ preoccupied about at the beginning of Chapter 19?
3. How does Jelenka fool Gregor Fedun?
4. Who is Lotte?
5. How does ten days of bombardment affect the bridge?
6. What new changes do university students bring to the kapia?
7. What happens in Visegrad when Archduke Ferdinand is assassinated?
8. Describe Zorka's relationship with Glasičanin.
9. What is the reaction to the gramophone when the coffee merchant plays it on the kapia?
10. Where does Alihodja go when the gendarmes tell him to evacuate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify a character who shows exceptional leadership qualities in the novel and discuss how this person influences the town of Visegrad. Use specific textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
When do we first meet the Vezir in this novel? Why is the river Drina important to him? What is the inspiration for his grand plan to build a bridge over the river?
Essay Topic 3
Identify a character who resists change and prefers to live in a traditional way. How does this character manage to avoid changing with the times? Why does he or she believe it is important to remain true to the "old ways"?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)