|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zahler's sister-in-law help with her fortune?
2. Who is assassinated at the beginning of Chapter 16?
3. Where do Zorka and Glasičanin spend time together?
4. What role does Pasa play in Hadji Omer's life?
5. What is the reputation of the students who gather on the kapia in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jelenka fool Gregor Fedun?
2. Who is Lotte?
3. Why is Lotte so tired?
4. What new changes do university students bring to the kapia?
5. What does Alihodja want most in the moments before he dies?
6. What happens to Lotte at the end of the novel?
7. What is Janko StikoviÄ‡ preoccupied about at the beginning of Chapter 19?
8. Describe Zorka's relationship with Glasičanin.
9. What is Alihodja's perspective on the new changes in Visegrad?
10. Is Gregor Fedun glad to be a streifkorps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify a character who shows exceptional leadership qualities in the novel and discuss how this person influences the town of Visegrad. Use specific textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Describe three modernizations that occur in this novel. How do these new advancements influence the culture and customs of Visegrad?
Essay Topic 3
Is Glasičanin an independent thinker? How does he interact with others? What is his view of the war and how does he hope to bring freedom to Serbia?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)