|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years pass between the census and recruitment of young men?
2. When Glasičanin asks Zorka to marry him, where does he want her to live?
3. What is Alihodja sure he can hear coming form the marketplace at the end of Chapter 24?
4. What does Alihodja turn his house into in Chapter 23?
5. Who does Zorka kiss in an empty classroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alihodja feel when a proclamation is posted on the kapia and read by a young boy?
2. What is Alihodja's perspective on the new changes in Visegrad?
3. What is Gregor's reaction to being interrogated?
4. Why is Salko Corkan considered a hero by his companions?
5. What does Alihodja want most in the moments before he dies?
6. What is the summer like in 1914?
7. What happens in Visegrad when Archduke Ferdinand is assassinated?
8. Where does Alihodja go when the gendarmes tell him to evacuate?
9. What new changes occur in 1900 to the town of Visegrad?
10. What is Lotte's reaction when she reads about her nephew in the newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the town's reaction to the bridge construction when it first begins? How does their reaction to it change as the years go on? What is their general opinion of the bridge when it is finished?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters Abidaga and Arif Beg. What makes one a success and one a failure in their role as the Vezir's representative for the bridge construction? Use specific examples from the novel to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the railroad that is built and how it influences the town of Visegrad. What is the reaction to it, both positive and negative, among the townspeople? How does it change the town in economic and social ways?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)