|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the army insist upon in the marketplace during artillery fire in Chapter 23?
2. What is Zahler's sister-in-law's name?
3. What new building is created opposite Lotte's hotel?
4. How many years pass between the census and recruitment of young men?
5. What does GlasiÄanin say about StikoviÄ‡ when they are debating on the kapia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new changes do university students bring to the kapia?
2. What is the reaction to the gramophone when the coffee merchant plays it on the kapia?
3. Why is Lotte so tired?
4. What is the summer like in 1914?
5. What happens in Visegrad when Archduke Ferdinand is assassinated?
6. How does Jelenka fool Gregor Fedun?
7. What role does Mihailo RistiÄ‡ play in keeping merchants safe during the bombardment?
8. Describe the relationship between Janko Stikovic and Nikola Glasičanin.
9. How does the outside world creep into Visegrad at the turn of the 20th century?
10. How does ten days of bombardment affect the bridge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters Abidaga and Arif Beg. What makes one a success and one a failure in their role as the Vezir's representative for the bridge construction? Use specific examples from the novel to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. What are the challenges and rewards of living in this setting? In what way does the river Drina play an important role in the life of the townspeople?
Essay Topic 3
Describe three modernizations that occur in this novel. How do these new advancements influence the culture and customs of Visegrad?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)