|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many refugee families cross the bridge on a warm summer evening?
2. What do the Turkish soldiers dump into the river in Chapter 6?
3. When are the Turks expelled from Hungary?
4. What fruit is brought to the kapia at the beginning of Chapter 7?
5. How is the schoolmaster, Hussein Effendi, described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Salko Corkan's appearance.
2. What are the important cultural events that occur on the bridge in Chapter 1?
3. What happens when civil servants arrive in Visegrad and start making changes?
4. Describe Avdaga Osmanagic.
5. How does the town of Visegrad react when the Austrian troops take over?
6. What does Fata do in order to keep both her word and the word of her father?
7. Does Fata believe her father will marry her to Nail-beg of Nezuke?
8. Describe Abidaga.
9. Describe the Visegrad ferryman.
10. What does Bukus Gaon find on the kapia that changes his life forever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Zorka's relationship with StikoviÄ‡. What does she see in him? How is she disillusioned by his response to her? Does she hold out hope for a relationship with him? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Is Glasičanin an independent thinker? How does he interact with others? What is his view of the war and how does he hope to bring freedom to Serbia?
Essay Topic 3
When do we first meet the Vezir in this novel? Why is the river Drina important to him? What is the inspiration for his grand plan to build a bridge over the river?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)