|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say distinguishes the people of the town in Chapter 1?
2. Who does Radisav of Unište blame for the sabotage of the bridge?
3. What is the town's bridge made from?
4. How long is a character in a delirium in Chapter 12?
5. What is Fata known for before she is married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the town of Visegrad react when the Austrian troops take over?
2. How does Shemisbeg BankoviÄ‡ resist change when it comes to Visegrad?
3. What diseases sweep through Sarajevo during the middle of the nineteenth century and limit travel?
4. Describe Abidaga.
5. What does Bukus Gaon find on the kapia that changes his life forever?
6. Describe Milan Glasicanin of Okoliste.
7. Why does Radisav want to sabotage the building of the bridge?
8. How do the people of Visegrad react when the bridge is almost complete?
9. Does Alihodja's resistance to Karamanli end in suffering for him?
10. Why does the mufti of Plevlje's come to Visegrad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the great flood and the destruction it causes. How do the townspeople find shelter during the flood? In what ways does the flood bring them closer together?
Essay Topic 2
Is Glasičanin an independent thinker? How does he interact with others? What is his view of the war and how does he hope to bring freedom to Serbia?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character Gregor Fedun. What does his story tell you about the political and military situation of Visegrad at that time? How does a momentary attraction to a young girl result in his tragic death? What do you think the author is suggesting by including Gregor's story in the novel?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)