|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say distinguishes the people of the town in Chapter 1?
2. What disease are people worried about coming to the town from Sarajevo in Chapter 7?
3. What does the headman do with the heads of those he executes during the Serbian revolt?
4. What natural disaster occurred in Visegrad in the second half of the 18th century?
5. What is the town like on the day described at the beginning of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What diseases sweep through Sarajevo during the middle of the nineteenth century and limit travel?
2. What does the narrator say about the townspeople of Visegrad?
3. What do the townspeople gain when the blockhouse is burned to the ground?
4. What happens when Milan Glasicanin gambles on the kapia with a stranger?
5. What happens when the children are collected in Bosnia for the blood tribute?
6. How does the Serbian revolt affect the town of Visegrad?
7. Describe the blockhouse.
8. Describe the feast that celebrates the completion of the bridge.
9. How does Shemisbeg BankoviÄ‡ resist change when it comes to Visegrad?
10. Does the schoolmaster, Hussein Effendi, like to talk a lot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe three modernizations that occur in this novel. How do these new advancements influence the culture and customs of Visegrad?
Essay Topic 2
"Life on the kapia always renews itself despite everything and the bridge does not change with the years or with the centuries or with the most painful turns in human affairs." Do you agree or disagree with this comment by the narrator? How does life on the kapia return time and time again to its original intent? Use specific textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
How does Fata Osmanagic keep both her word and her father's word? Describe Fata's view of her place in the world and her relationship with her father. Why does she choose death over marriage?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)