|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the Christian children born in this town?
2. What does Bukus become when he goes to UstamujiÄ‡'s Inn on a Sunday in Chapter 12?
3. What does Bukus find on the kapia?
4. What is Alihodja Mutevelic known for?
5. What does the Montenegrin traveler sing when he comes upon the bridge construction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What diseases sweep through Sarajevo during the middle of the nineteenth century and limit travel?
2. What does Bukus Gaon find on the kapia that changes his life forever?
3. What happens when the children are collected in Bosnia for the blood tribute?
4. What is the setting of Visegrad ?
5. Describe Avdaga Osmanagic.
6. Does the bridge withstand the flood?
7. Describe the blockhouse.
8. Why does Radisav want to sabotage the building of the bridge?
9. How does Dauthodja give his life for the Stone Han?
10. What happens when civil servants arrive in Visegrad and start making changes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Zorka's relationship with StikoviÄ‡. What does she see in him? How is she disillusioned by his response to her? Does she hold out hope for a relationship with him? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Identify a character who resists change and prefers to live in a traditional way. How does this character manage to avoid changing with the times? Why does he or she believe it is important to remain true to the "old ways"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe three modernizations that occur in this novel. How do these new advancements influence the culture and customs of Visegrad?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)