|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the soldiers begin to leave Visegard in the fall, who comes to take their place?
2. What disease are people worried about coming to the town from Sarajevo in Chapter 7?
3. What color staff does Abidaga carry?
4. Who is Arif Beg?
5. What are gendarmes stationed on the bridge for in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the town of Visegrad during the great flood?
2. Describe the setting of the kapia the night that refugees from Uzice cross the bridge.
3. What occurs during the first part of the bridge construction?
4. Does the schoolmaster, Hussein Effendi, like to talk a lot?
5. How do the people of Visegrad react when the bridge is almost complete?
6. Why does the mufti of Plevlje's come to Visegrad?
7. Describe the blockhouse.
8. What diseases sweep through Sarajevo during the middle of the nineteenth century and limit travel?
9. Does Fata believe her father will marry her to Nail-beg of Nezuke?
10. What is the setting of Visegrad ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify a character who shows exceptional leadership qualities in the novel and discuss how this person influences the town of Visegrad. Use specific textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character Gregor Fedun. What does his story tell you about the political and military situation of Visegrad at that time? How does a momentary attraction to a young girl result in his tragic death? What do you think the author is suggesting by including Gregor's story in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. What are the challenges and rewards of living in this setting? In what way does the river Drina play an important role in the life of the townspeople?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)