|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alihodja's reputation in the town in Chapter 16?
(a) He has a dark view of everything.
(b) He is lighthearted.
(c) He is happy about the new changes.
(d) He speaks well of the Austrians.
2. What makes Alihodja's ear tingle when he is on the bridge in October, 1908?
(a) Someone is talking about him.
(b) He was stung by a bee.
(c) He has an infection.
(d) A boy reading a proclamation.
3. Where do Zorka and Glasičanin spend time together?
(a) Rehearsals for a festival.
(b) Reading room.
(d) Lotte's hotel.
4. Why do Turkish youths chide Maistor-Peitro as he walks across the bridge in Chapter 18?
(a) His hat.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His poor workmanship.
(d) Over the defeat in Tripoli.
5. Who is the first to play a gramophone on the kapia?
(b) Coffee merchant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What young relative does Lotte dress and feed?
2. What does Alihodja turn his house into in Chapter 23?
3. What is the summer of 1914 like for Visegrad?
4. What occupation does Zorka have?
5. How does Salko Corkan support himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hadji Omer take a second wife?
2. What is Gregor's reaction to being interrogated?
3. What new changes do university students bring to the kapia?
4. What is Lotte's reaction when she reads about her nephew in the newspaper?
5. What does Alihodja want most in the moments before he dies?
6. Is Gregor Fedun glad to be a streifkorps?
7. What is Janko StikoviÄ‡ preoccupied about at the beginning of Chapter 19?
8. What new changes occur in 1900 to the town of Visegrad?
9. How does Jelenka fool Gregor Fedun?
10. How does the outside world creep into Visegrad at the turn of the 20th century?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)