|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Miles doing at daybreak in the woods?
(a) Raking leaves.
(c) Cutting branches.
(d) Gathering beries.
2. Where is a marriage announced in Chapter 8?
3. What does the narrator say distinguishes the people of the town in Chapter 1?
(a) Handsome looks.
(b) Quarrelsome nature.
(c) Carefree attitude.
(d) Unhappy people.
4. What do some of the townspeople do with the corpse in Chapter 3?
(a) Place it in the river.
(b) Leave it on the road.
(c) Give it a Christian burial.
(d) Let the dogs have it.
5. Where do many of the refugee families intend to go who cross the bridge in Chapter 7?
(d) The next village over from Visegrad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fruit is brought to the kapia at the beginning of Chapter 7?
2. What is the setting of the novel?
3. Where are the Christian children born in this town?
4. What happens on the kapia on the eve of August 18th every year after the newcomers arrive?
5. Who sets up his shop on the kapia at the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Avdaga Osmanagic.
2. What does the narrator say about the townspeople of Visegrad?
3. Does Alihodja's resistance to Karamanli end in suffering for him?
4. Describe Abidaga.
5. Describe Salko Corkan's appearance.
6. What happens when civil servants arrive in Visegrad and start making changes?
7. Why does the mufti of Plevlje's come to Visegrad?
8. Does the schoolmaster, Hussein Effendi, like to talk a lot?
9. What are the important cultural events that occur on the bridge in Chapter 1?
10. What occurs during the first part of the bridge construction?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)