|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Enver Bey?
(b) Marketplace worker.
(c) Hotel dishwasher.
(d) Turkish major and hero.
2. What does Maistor-Peitro's wife want him to do to the youths who chided him?
(a) Hit them in the face with his hammer.
(b) Toss them off the bridge.
(c) Have them arrested.
(d) Sue them for libel.
3. What does GlasiÄanin say about StikoviÄ‡ when they are debating on the kapia?
(a) He should marry.
(b) He is too vain to love anyone or anything.
(c) He is a great writer.
(d) Urges him to lend him money.
4. What is built to link Sarajevo with the Serbian frontier?
(a) Mountain road.
(b) Special conveyance to scale the mountains.
(c) Tunnel through the mountain.
5. What new word is heard in Visegrad for the first time in Chapter 17?
(d) Mustard gas.
6. What is the summer of 1914 like for Visegrad?
(a) The weather is rainy.
(d) There is a terrible famine.
7. How does Gregor die?
(b) He is killed by soldiers.
(c) Kills himself with his rifle.
(d) Has an accident with a vehicle.
8. Where do Zorka and Glasičanin spend time together?
(a) Rehearsals for a festival.
(b) Lotte's hotel.
(c) Reading room.
9. What happens to Lotte when she is cut off from her office and the hotel?
(a) She has a mental breakdown.
(b) She starts another business.
(c) She falls in love.
(d) She can finally go on vacation.
10. What are the canes made from that most of the university students carry in Visegrad?
11. What new building is created opposite Lotte's hotel?
(a) Competing hotel.
(c) Officer's mess.
(d) Grocery store.
12. Who does Mihailo RistiÃƒâ€žÃ¢â‚¬Â¡'s give shelter to in his large home during bombardments?
(a) Young children.
(c) Austrian soldiers.
(d) Town merchants.
13. What is the name of the hotel built on the river bank beside the bridge?
(b) Hotel Visegrad.
(c) Marketplace hotel.
14. What kind of writer is Toma Galus?
(c) Food columnist.
(d) Gossip columnist.
15. What does the army insist upon in the marketplace during artillery fire in Chapter 23?
(a) That businesses remain open.
(b) That all businesses are closed.
(c) That food and water are only given to soldiers.
(d) That all glass items are thrown out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does StikoviÄ‡ recall watching as a boy?
2. What are streifkorps?
3. What falls on Alihodja's shop and causes him to fly through the air?
4. What does StikoviÄ‡ have published that he is dissatisfied with?
5. Why do Turkish youths chide Maistor-Peitro as he walks across the bridge in Chapter 18?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)