|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are streifkorps?
(a) Polish noodles.
(b) Austrian drinks.
(c) German pastry.
(d) Mobile storm troops.
2. How old is Gregor Fedun?
3. Where does Alihodja go when the Austrians tell him to evacuate?
(b) The kapia.
(c) To his house.
(d) To his "coffin" or tiny room.
4. What is Zahler's sister-in-law's name?
5. Where does Zahler take his family and Lotte after the hotel is ruined?
6. What occupation does Zorka have?
7. What does the army insist upon in the marketplace during artillery fire in Chapter 23?
(a) That all glass items are thrown out.
(b) That all businesses are closed.
(c) That businesses remain open.
(d) That food and water are only given to soldiers.
8. Where do Zorka and Glasičanin spend time together?
(b) Reading room.
(c) Lotte's hotel.
(d) Rehearsals for a festival.
9. What is Alihodja's reputation in the town in Chapter 16?
(a) He has a dark view of everything.
(b) He is happy about the new changes.
(c) He speaks well of the Austrians.
(d) He is lighthearted.
10. What kind of writer is Toma Galus?
(a) Food columnist.
(c) Gossip columnist.
11. What is the name of the hotel built on the river bank beside the bridge?
(b) Marketplace hotel.
(c) Hotel Visegrad.
12. Where do people think Mrs. Bauer goes after Dr. Balus' death?
13. What is the reputation of the students who gather on the kapia in Chapter 18?
(a) Free thinkers and nationalists.
(d) Appreciated for their outspokeness.
14. What is the reaction of Visegrad Muslims to a census at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) They are happy.
(b) They are offended.
(c) They offer to help gather information.
(d) They are too busy to be bothered with it.
15. What does Alihodja turn his house into in Chapter 23?
(a) Meeting room for rebels.
(b) Muslim religious school.
(c) Reading room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alihodja sure he can hear coming form the marketplace at the end of Chapter 24?
2. Why does the brigand Jakov Cekrlija want to cross the bridge?
3. Who passes Gregor on the bridge that he looks forward to seeing again?
4. What does GlasiÄanin say about StikoviÄ‡ when they are debating on the kapia?
5. What are the canes made from that most of the university students carry in Visegrad?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)