|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Avdaga Osmanagic die?
(a) Suffocating cough.
(d) Old age.
2. How many refugee families intend to stay in Visegrad in Chapter 7?
(b) One hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
3. What happens to the fountain on the bridge after the blockhouse burns down?
(a) Snake head is crushed.
(b) It is completely black from soot.
(c) It is stolen.
(d) An artist paints a mural on it.
4. What does Abidaga do if he finds any part of the bridge damaged in Chapter 3?
(a) Quietly asks that the repair be made.
(b) Fines the whole town.
(c) Forgives the workers.
(d) Rages at the townspeople, but does not punish them.
5. What does the Montenegrin traveler sing when he comes upon the bridge construction?
(a) Patriotic Serbian songs.
(b) Turkish songs.
(c) Russian dance music.
6. Where do many of the refugee families intend to go who cross the bridge in Chapter 7?
(c) The next village over from Visegrad.
7. What does Osman Effendi Karamanli argue with Alihodja about?
(a) The amount of pay he should receive.
(b) Joining his revolt.
(c) The type of music that will be played on the kapia.
(d) The message he is writing for his superiors.
8. What do some groups enjoy more freely after the newcomers arrive in Chapter 11?
(d) Administrative offices.
9. Why are the Turks waiting for Miles at the mill?
(a) To give him grain to mill.
(b) To ask him directions.
(c) To capture him and bring him to town.
(d) To get firewood.
10. What is the Drina?
11. What color horse does the colonel arrive on when he comes to Visegrad?
12. What is the town's bridge made from?
13. What is the setting of the novel?
14. What is Miles doing at daybreak in the woods?
(a) Gathering beries.
(b) Cutting branches.
(c) Raking leaves.
15. How old is the dark-skinned boy who is collected from the town of Sokolovici?
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname do the townspeople give Arif Beg?
2. What does Abidaga order his man to do with the corpse in Chapter 3?
3. What does Hedo put down on the steps and stone seat of the kapia before the colonel arrives?
4. How many refugee families cross the bridge on a warm summer evening?
5. What month is it when the children are collected in Bosnia?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)