|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Black and Harlan are in what hospital in July 1971?
2. Who is the attorney for Inc. Fund when they bring the school case before the Court?
3. What room does Berger want to take as his office?
4. The Brennan order on desegregation, issued to guide the lower courts, was issued __________, meaning it had no designated author.
5. Burger tries to squeeze in a lunch with the clerks how often?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before the court sets the written and oral briefing schedule for a case, what happens?
2. What does "granting cert" mean?
3. What do law clerks generally talk about over lunch and why?
4. What is the solicitor general's argument in the Charlotte busing case?
5. When thinking about what opinion he should have on the Charlotte case, what does Justice Douglas have concerns with?
6. What is Burger's worry about his office when he becomes chief justice?
7. Burger feels that he can distinguish his court from Warren's court by doing what?
8. Why does Nixon package the nominations of Powell and Rehnquist together for passage through the Senate?
9. What is the role of the president and the Senate in appointing justices on the Supreme Court?
10. What does Justice Stewart think of Chief Justice Burger's draft of the Charlotte busing opinion that is circulated on December 8th?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was one of the big issues the Burger court dealt with, and how did the court handle the issue? Discuss legal reasoning, internal debates, and anything else that you think is relevant. Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book to support your answer, was Burger a good chief justice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is precedent? What is the role of precedent for the Supreme Court? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)