|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Written arguments from both sides of the case are also called what?
2. What room does Berger want to take as his office?
3. On what day does Black die?
4. When Warren and his clerks got together on Saturdays, what do they watch?
5. The chief justice gets to assign opinion-writing duties under what conditions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Justice Stewart think of Chief Justice Burger's draft of the Charlotte busing opinion that is circulated on December 8th?
2. How does Gerald R. Ford try to impeach Douglas?
3. What is the role of the president and the Senate in appointing justices on the Supreme Court?
4. Why does Justice Stewart work with the chief justice on drafting the Charlotte busing opinion?
5. Before the court sets the written and oral briefing schedule for a case, what happens?
6. Why does Nixon package the nominations of Powell and Rehnquist together for passage through the Senate?
7. What do law clerks generally talk about over lunch and why?
8. What is the issue in Griggs v. Duke Power Co.?
9. What is one of Warren's last acts as chief justice?
10. What was one of the things Stewart didn't like about the chief justice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is precedent? What is the role of precedent for the Supreme Court? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Which justice, not including the chief justice, was a good justice? What is your definition of a good justice? Answer the question using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does the rules that the Supreme Court functions under affect its ability to enforce its rulings? Cite examples from the book to support your conclusions.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)