|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Blackmun had been general counsel at what location when he was in private practice?
2. When Douglas goes out of town, Burger reassigns the Lloyd opinion to which Justice?
3. When Blackmun finally makes it through all the cert petitions that are waiting his arrival on the Court, how many does he agree to grant cert for?
4. Petitions from people who can't afford an attorney or the filing fees are called what?
5. What is the famous case about abortion that the Supreme Court hears?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Justice Stewart work with the chief justice on drafting the Charlotte busing opinion?
2. What are IFPs?
3. How does the court view the abortion cases?
4. What is one of Warren's last acts as chief justice?
5. What does Justice Harlan believe about precedent?
6. What are the three level of federal courts?
7. What is Burger's worry about his office when he becomes chief justice?
8. Which justices were in favor of ruling against the abortion laws?
9. Burger feels that he can distinguish his court from Warren's court by doing what?
10. Why does Nixon package the nominations of Powell and Rehnquist together for passage through the Senate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is precedent? What is the role of precedent for the Supreme Court? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the background of each justice, before they are appointed to the bench, help or hinder their ability to function as an effective justice? Support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What do the various justices in the book believe the role of the Supreme Court is? Cite examples to support your reasoning.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)