|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The publication of the Pentagon Papers is enjoined by the federal courts on what grounds?
2. What is the other state (not Texas) who has an abortion case come before the Court in 1971?
3. The Brennan order on desegregation, issued to guide the lower courts, was issued __________, meaning it had no designated author.
4. When Blackmun is appointed to the Court, he receives how many bags of cert petitions?
5. What is the issue in Phillips v. Martin Marietta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Burger feels that he can distinguish his court from Warren's court by doing what?
2. What does the book mean when it says that the Supreme Court performs its work in secret?
3. What was one of the things Stewart didn't like about the chief justice?
4. When Justices Black and Harlan leave the Court, what do the remaining Justices do?
5. What are the three level of federal courts?
6. How many justices sit on the Supreme Court, and how do they arrange duties?
7. Where do Justices Black and Harlan spend their time during the break before the 1971 term?
8. Before the court sets the written and oral briefing schedule for a case, what happens?
9. Which justices were in favor of ruling against the abortion laws?
10. What is the issue in Griggs v. Duke Power Co.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the court's ability to choose its cases influence the decisions it makes? Cite examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How effectively does the court function when there are not nine Justices sitting and participating? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What makes a book a history book? Is this book a history book? if not, what genre is this book and why? Use the book to support your answer.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)