|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The judge in Charlotte, North Carolina, orders that desegregation be based on what?
(a) The racial composition of the business districts.
(b) The racial composition of the student population.
(c) The racial composition of the population.
(d) The racial composition of residential districts.
2. When Blackmun finally makes it through all the cert petitions that are waiting his arrival on the Court, how many does he agree to grant cert for?
(b) About half.
(c) Seven or eight.
(d) Three or four.
3. Douglas notices there is a majority of five that support what position in the Charlotte case?
(a) McMillan order.
(b) Desegregation without interference.
(c) Burger's position.
4. When does the court's term begin?
5. Cohen v. California concerns what amendement?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages is Hugo Black's opinion that does not overturn the lower court's decision on racial segregation?
2. Black incorporates a list of permissible actions a judge can take to deal with unruly behavior in what decision?
3. Burger tries to squeeze in a lunch with the clerks how often?
4. What is the name of the attorney who represents the petitioner before the court in the Texas abortion case?
5. What is the famous case about abortion that the Supreme Court hears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the solicitor general's argument in the Charlotte busing case?
2. What is Justice Black's opinion on school desegregation and busing?
3. How many justices sit on the Supreme Court, and how do they arrange duties?
4. What do law clerks generally talk about over lunch and why?
5. What is one of the changes Burger makes to the court when he becomes chief justice?
6. Why is Burger often not prepared for conferences and making mistakes in his assignments?
7. Burger feels that he can distinguish his court from Warren's court by doing what?
8. What are some of the things that occur under the Warren Court?
9. What is one of the assignments that a Supreme Court justice has?
10. How does Gerald R. Ford try to impeach Douglas?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)