|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Black and Harlan are in what hospital in July 1971?
(a) John Hopkins.
(b) University of Maryland Hospital.
(c) Bethesda Naval Hospital.
(d) Walter Reed.
2. Who is the representative for the government in the school case before the court?
(a) Gerald Fells.
(b) Bernard Shannon.
(c) Jerris Leonard.
(d) Colin Religh.
3. Brennan approaches the issue of abortion on the basis of what other right?
(c) Free speech.
4. In what year does Chief Justice Earl Warren retire from the Court?
5. What is the name of the man who requests a secret session with the court regarding the Pentagon Papers?
Short Answer Questions
1. Warren delegates the writing of his opinion to whom?
2. Burger keeps track of the justices workload on what?
3. Who is appointed to Harlan's seat on the Court?
4. Who has to negotiate every paragraph of the Charlotte opinion with Burger?
5. Black incorporates a list of permissible actions a judge can take to deal with unruly behavior in what decision?
Short Essay Questions
1. Burger feels that he can distinguish his court from Warren's court by doing what?
2. Why does Nixon package the nominations of Powell and Rehnquist together for passage through the Senate?
3. What does "granting cert" mean?
4. Why does Justice Stewart work with the chief justice on drafting the Charlotte busing opinion?
5. Why does Burger favor a rehearing in the case of Utah Public Service Commission v. El Paso Natural Gas Co.?
6. Before the court sets the written and oral briefing schedule for a case, what happens?
7. How does Gerald R. Ford try to impeach Douglas?
8. What is one of Warren's last acts as chief justice?
9. What are the three level of federal courts?
10. What do law clerks generally talk about over lunch and why?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)