|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Johnny White's mother?
2. How many of Eleanor Holm's fellow athletes signed a petition to have her reinstated in the 1936 Olympic Games?
3. Who was the coxswain for the German crew at the 1936 Olympics?
4. Who was the head of the Yale rowing crew at the Olympic trials in 1936?
5. Where did Al Ulbrickson agree to meet Cal, Pennsylvania, Syracuse, Wisconsin, and UCLA for a one-off-two-thousand-meter varsity matchup after Poughkeepsie in 1935?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bobby Moch's father warn him of when he knew that Bobby would be going to Berlin for the 1936 Olympics? Why?
2. Why was Al Ulbrickson concerned about Don Hume and his performance as the University of Washington crew trained in Germany before their trials in Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 17?
3. How does the author describe the American rowing team's performance at their final race in the 1936 Summer Olympics? What strategies were used?
4. How did the University of Washington crew feel as they prepared to depart for the regatta in Poughkeepsie in Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 14?
5. Whom did Joe Rantz befriend while working at the Grand Coulee Dam site? How are these individuals described by the author?
6. What conflicts arose in the U.S. and other countries regarding Germany hosting the 1936 Summer Olympics? How were these conflicts resolved?
7. What were the Nuremberg Laws that Hitler enacted in 1935? How did these laws define German citizenship?
8. How does the author describe the University of Washington crew's performance at the final Olympic trial in Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 15?
9. How does the author describe the regatta at Poughkeepsie in 1935? How did the University of Washington perform?
10. Where did the American rowing crews lodge and train during the 1936 Summer Olympics? How is this setting described by the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joe Rantz’s friendship with Roger Morris. What did Joe and Roger have in common? How did they differ? What was the foundation of their friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s portrayal of Nazi Germany in The Boys in the Boat. Is the author’s depiction of the country positive or negative? Is the portrayal historically accurate? How effective do you think the author is at developing the atmosphere of Nazi Germany?
Essay Topic 3
What does “the boat” mean to Joe Rantz? How has the narrative of The Boys in the Boat changed the way you define the meaning of “the boat” in competitive rowing? How did Joe Rantz’s perception of “the boat” evolve in the course of the narrative?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)