|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession of Bobby Moch's father?
2. What did Adolf Hitler do when the announcement was made of the winners of the men's eights event at the 1936 Olympics?
3. How many men worked in the kitchen for the cafeteria of the Grand Coulee Dam site when Joe Rantz worked there?
4. In what village were the American rowers lodged at a police training camp during the 1936 Olympics?
5. Who was the twenty-two-year-old heavyweight boxer from Detroit that rose to prominence against Max Schmeling in 1936?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the 1936 regatta against the University of California at Berkeley significant for Joe Rantz? How did the University of Washington perform in the race?
2. What conflicts arose in the U.S. and other countries regarding Germany hosting the 1936 Summer Olympics? How were these conflicts resolved?
3. How did fans and reporters respond when Al Ulbrickson made the decision to pull the sophomore team from the varsity lineup at Poughkeepsie in 1935?
4. Whom did Joe Rantz befriend while working at the Grand Coulee Dam site? How are these individuals described by the author?
5. How does the author describe the whitewashing that took place in Berlin prior to the 1936 Summer Olympics in Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 16?
6. What advice did George Pocock give to Joe during the Olympic training session in Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 13? How did this advice affect Joe's performance?
7. How does the author describe the American rowing team's performance at their final race in the 1936 Summer Olympics? What strategies were used?
8. What were the Nuremberg Laws that Hitler enacted in 1935? How did these laws define German citizenship?
9. Where did Joe Rantz live while working at the Grand Coulee Dam site? How is this setting described?
10. How does the author describe Adolf Hitler's reaction when the announcement was made of the outcome of men's eights rowing event at the Olympics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the design and construction of the Olympic Stadium in Berlin for the 1936 Olympics. Why do you think the author focuses on this construction? How is the setting of the Olympic Stadium juxtaposed against other settings in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the athletic demands of competitive rowing. How does the author describe these demands in comparison with other competitive sports? What are the emotional and psychological demands of the rower and/or coxswain?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the technical aspects of competitive rowing. How many oarsmen are in a racing vessel? Who steers the boat? Who sets the pace for the rowers? What are the common distances of regattas today?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)