|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bobby Moch's weight in 1936?
2. Who was the coxswain for the German crew at the 1936 Olympics?
3. The author says in Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 13 that by March 19, 1936, Al Ulbrickson had his best bet for an Olympic boat. Who was at the bow of this boat?
4. Who stands on the podium at the medal ceremony at the 1936 Olympics in the photograph that concludes Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 18?
5. On what river was the Grand Coulee dam site where Joe Rantz worked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the University of Washington rowing crew come to represent for Seattle and Washington, according to the author in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 10? Why did they come to represent this?
2. What last-minute decision did Al Ulbrickson make regarding his crew as they set out for their final race in the 1936 Olympic games? How did the crew respond to this decision?
3. Why was Al Ulbrickson concerned about Don Hume and his performance as the University of Washington crew trained in Germany before their trials in Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 17?
4. What conflicts arose in the U.S. and other countries regarding Germany hosting the 1936 Summer Olympics? How were these conflicts resolved?
5. Where did the American rowing crews lodge and train during the 1936 Summer Olympics? How is this setting described by the author?
6. What advice did George Pocock give to Joe during the Olympic training session in Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 13? How did this advice affect Joe's performance?
7. What position did Joe Rantz take at the Grand Coulee Dam site in the summer after his sophomore year at the University of Washington? How much did the job pay?
8. What did Bobby Moch's father warn him of when he knew that Bobby would be going to Berlin for the 1936 Olympics? Why?
9. How does the author describe the regatta at Poughkeepsie in 1935? How did the University of Washington perform?
10. How does the author describe Adolf Hitler's reaction when the announcement was made of the outcome of men's eights rowing event at the Olympics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author’s portrayal of Nazi Germany in The Boys in the Boat. Is the author’s depiction of the country positive or negative? Is the portrayal historically accurate? How effective do you think the author is at developing the atmosphere of Nazi Germany?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s depiction of Joyce Simdars in the narrative. How old was Joyce when she met Joe Rantz? What attracted Joyce to Joe? What are some examples of sacrifices that Joyce made in order to be with Joe?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the design and construction of the Olympic Stadium in Berlin for the 1936 Olympics. Why do you think the author focuses on this construction? How is the setting of the Olympic Stadium juxtaposed against other settings in the narrative?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)