|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose quotations open almost each chapter of The Boys in the Boat?
2. When was the Aurora Bridge opened?
3. Who is described in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9 as "the savvy little coxswain of what seemed to be shaping up to be the best of the JV boats"?
4. Where did Harry go to fetch a doctor when Thula went into labor in November of 1924?
5. Who were the two schools that raced against one another in the first intercollegiate rowing crew race in the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the physical toll of rowing in a two-thousand-meter regatta in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 3?
2. How is the theme of "finding value in the discarded" illustrated by the author in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 8?
3. How does the author describe Joseph Goebbels' rise to prominence in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 6?
4. How does the author describe the spiritual rewards and transformation within rowing competitively in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 3?
5. How is the setting of Seattle described in 1933 in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 1?
6. What did Joe Rantz's father tell him when he abandoned Joe at the age of fourteen? How did Joe respond to these circumstances?
7. How would you compare the actions, motivations, and characteristics of Joe Rantz and Thula Rantz?
8. What event led to the Rantz family moving to Idaho in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 2? How did Joe like Idaho?
9. What irony and symbolism can be seen in the performance of the Washington crew as they prepared for Poughkeepsie in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 7?
10. What was Ky Ebright's relationship to the University of Washington? How did this history influence his actions as coach at the University of California at Berkeley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of The Boys in the Boat. How does the narrative shift after the Prologue? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Why do you think the author chose this narrative style? How would the book differ if related from a different perspective?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the design and construction of the Olympic Stadium in Berlin for the 1936 Olympics. Why do you think the author focuses on this construction? How is the setting of the Olympic Stadium juxtaposed against other settings in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the career of Al Ulbrickson. When did Ulbrickson become the head coach of the rowing program at the University of Washington? How long was Ulbrickson’s tenure at U of W? How effective was Ulbrickson in instilling passion into his teams? What were Ulbrickson’s strengths as a coach?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)