|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the first Intercollegiate Rowing Association Regatta held?
2. Where was Joyce Simdar sent to live with an aunt after her family's home burned down?
3. On what date did George Pocock and his brother Dick first arrive in Vancouver, Canada?
4. What was the name of the swing band that Roger Morris played with for extra money on the weekends while attending school at the University of Washington?
5. What was Joe Rantz's mother's maiden name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his first meeting with Joe Rantz in the Prologue of The Boys in the Boat?
2. What event led to the Rantz family moving to Idaho in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 2? How did Joe like Idaho?
3. What were the crew standings like in October of 1933 at the University of Washington? How many boys were still vying for spots on the top boats?
4. How is the setting of Seattle described in 1933 in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 1?
5. How does the author describe Joseph Goebbels' rise to prominence in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 6?
6. How does the author depict the changes in Joe and the other University of Washington crew members after Coach Bolles announced the final selections for the rowing team in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 5?
7. How was Joe Rantz affected by the death of his mother when he was young?
8. What frustrations did Coach Bolles face with the freshman crew after their return from the California regatta in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 7?
9. What led up to Joe Rantz's abandonment by his father in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 2?
10. What frustrations did Coach Al Ulbrickson face as the crews prepared for Poughkeepsie in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author’s portrayal of Tom Bolles in the narrative. How old was Tom Bolles when he became freshman coach of the rowing program at the University of Washington? How did Bolles differ in coaching style from Al Ulbrickson? What were Bolles’s strengths as a coach?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of The Boys in the Boat. How does the narrative shift after the Prologue? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Why do you think the author chose this narrative style? How would the book differ if related from a different perspective?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the career of Al Ulbrickson. When did Ulbrickson become the head coach of the rowing program at the University of Washington? How long was Ulbrickson’s tenure at U of W? How effective was Ulbrickson in instilling passion into his teams? What were Ulbrickson’s strengths as a coach?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)