|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Ed Leader leave the University of Washington's rowing program to coach at Yale?
2. What was the name of the train that the Washington crews took to Poughkeepsie in 1934?
3. On what date did George Pocock and his brother Dick first arrive in Vancouver, Canada?
4. On what date was Joe Rantz born?
5. Whose quotations open almost each chapter of The Boys in the Boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Thula Rantz repeatedly rejected Joe as a part of her family?
2. How does the author describe Roger Morris and his family background in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 5?
3. How was Joe Rantz affected by the death of his mother when he was young?
4. How would you compare the actions, motivations, and characteristics of Joe Rantz and Thula Rantz?
5. How does the author describe the physical toll of rowing in a two-thousand-meter regatta in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 3?
6. What was Ky Ebright's relationship to the University of Washington? How did this history influence his actions as coach at the University of California at Berkeley?
7. What irony and symbolism can be seen in the performance of the Washington crew as they prepared for Poughkeepsie in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 7?
8. Where did Joe Rantz go to meet his father in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9? How is this meeting described?
9. What led up to Joe Rantz's abandonment by his father in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 2?
10. What frustrations did Coach Bolles face with the freshman crew after their return from the California regatta in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the actions, objectives, and obstacles of Harry Rantz in the narrative. How did Harry respond to the death of his first wife? What was Harry’s relationship like with Joe when Joe was young? How did their relationship evolve over time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the design and construction of the Olympic Stadium in Berlin for the 1936 Olympics. Why do you think the author focuses on this construction? How is the setting of the Olympic Stadium juxtaposed against other settings in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the technical aspects of competitive rowing. How many oarsmen are in a racing vessel? Who steers the boat? Who sets the pace for the rowers? What are the common distances of regattas today?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)