|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who revealed to Joe Rantz the location where his father had been living in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 8?
2. Who were the sophomore crew members that Ulbrickson called into his office and told they needed to shape up in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9?
3. What was the name of the University of Washington student that accidentally set himself on fire during a bonfire and was killed in 1933?
4. What was the name of the business where Joe visited his father at work in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9?
5. In what year did the Wright brothers make the first controlled human flight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the language style of Daniel James Brown? What aspects of the author's style stand out in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 1?
2. How did George Pocock come to his association with the University of Washington?
3. What history did Coach Bolles have with the University of California at Berkeley crew? How did this history influence his actions in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 6?
4. How is George Pocock's childhood described in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 3? How did Pocock become involved with boats?
5. How does the author depict the changes in Joe and the other University of Washington crew members after Coach Bolles announced the final selections for the rowing team in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 5?
6. How does the author describe the physical toll of rowing in a two-thousand-meter regatta in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 3?
7. How would you compare the actions, motivations, and characteristics of Joe Rantz and Thula Rantz?
8. How does the author describe the East-West Coast rivalry in crew and other competitive sports in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 7?
9. What was Ky Ebright's relationship to the University of Washington? How did this history influence his actions as coach at the University of California at Berkeley?
10. How does the author describe Roger Morris and his family background in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joe Rantz’s friendship with Roger Morris. What did Joe and Roger have in common? How did they differ? What was the foundation of their friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the actions, objectives, and obstacles of Harry Rantz in the narrative. How did Harry respond to the death of his first wife? What was Harry’s relationship like with Joe when Joe was young? How did their relationship evolve over time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrative style of The Boys in the Boat. How does the narrative shift after the Prologue? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story? Why do you think the author chose this narrative style? How would the book differ if related from a different perspective?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)