|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what date did the University of Washington crew members depart on the train for Poughkeepsie in 1936?
(a) June 24.
(b) June 10.
(c) July 5.
(d) March 1.
2. How many of Eleanor Holm's fellow athletes signed a petition to have her reinstated in the 1936 Olympic Games?
(a) Less than 5.
(b) Over 300.
(c) Over 200.
(d) About 50.
3. What did Joyce do after turning off the radio when the Americans won the men's eights at the 1936 Olympics?
(a) She called her father.
(b) She called Joe.
(c) She made sandwiches.
(d) She called her mother.
4. Where was the long-distance runner Louis Zamperini from?
(a) Cleveland, Ohio.
(b) Torrance, California.
(c) Spokane, Washington.
(d) Brooklyn, New York.
5. Who was the athletic director for Stanford University that attended the 1936 Olympics?
(a) Joe Louis.
(b) Ed Stanley.
(c) Avery Brundage.
(d) Jack Rice.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what rowing crew did the Washington boys get into a brawl in the cafeteria prior to the Olympic Games in 1936?
2. Who stands on the podium at the medal ceremony at the 1936 Olympics in the photograph that concludes Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 18?
3. What was the area called where Joe Rantz rented a cheap room while working at the Grand Coulee Dam site?
4. How tall was the tower that was built on the site where the Maifeld had been at the Reichssportfeld?
5. What book did the Reich League of German Officials have hand-transcribed as a birthday gift for Adolf Hitler on April 20, 1947?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Al Ulbrickson differ from George Pocock in how he addressed the University of Washington crew during the Olympic training session in 1936? Whose coaching strategies proved the strongest?
2. What concerns did Al Ulbrickson express about the regatta course for the 1936 Summer Olympics? How was the matter resolved?
3. How does the author describe Adolf Hitler's reaction when the announcement was made of the outcome of men's eights rowing event at the Olympics?
4. What function does Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 18 serve in the plot structure of The Boys in the Boat? How?
5. How does the author describe the regatta at Poughkeepsie in 1935? How did the University of Washington perform?
6. How did fans and reporters respond when Al Ulbrickson made the decision to pull the sophomore team from the varsity lineup at Poughkeepsie in 1935?
7. What statement did Al Ulbrickson make via an open letter to the Seattle Times in September of 1935? Why did he make this announcement?
8. How does the author describe the University of Washington crew's performance at the regatta in Poughkeepsie in 1936?
9. What position did Joe Rantz take at the Grand Coulee Dam site in the summer after his sophomore year at the University of Washington? How much did the job pay?
10. What did the University of Washington rowing crew come to represent for Seattle and Washington, according to the author in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 10? Why did they come to represent this?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)