|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the theme of the seventh annual rally staged at Nuremberg by the Nazi Party in September of 1935?
(a) The Rally for Aryans.
(b) The Rally for Europe.
(c) The Rally for Freedom.
(d) The Rally for Peace.
2. What crews were the University of Washington boys assigned to race for their preliminary regatta at the 1936 Olympics?
(a) France, Japan, Czechoslovakia, and Great Britain.
(b) China, Japan, and Ireland.
(c) Russia, Italy, France, and Great Britain.
(d) Germany, Italy, and Argentina.
3. What is the name of the lakeside community in Berlin where the 1936 Olympic rowing, canoeing, and kayaking events took place?
4. What was the profession of Bobby Moch's father?
(a) He was a schoolteacher.
(b) He was a baker and chef.
(c) He was a politician.
(d) He was a watchmaker and jeweler.
5. Where was Fritz Kreisler born?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Seattle's professional hockey team, the Metropolitans, become the first American team to win the Stanley Cup?
2. Where did Thula Rantz go to audition for Fritz Kreisler in 1935?
3. Who were in the first and second lanes at the eight-rowed final regatta of the 1936 Olympics?
4. How many acres was the site of the Reichssportfeld in 1933?
5. Who was the stroke man for Penn State at the 1936 Olympic trials?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the whitewashing that took place in Berlin prior to the 1936 Summer Olympics in Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 16?
2. How does the author describe the regatta at Poughkeepsie in 1935? How did the University of Washington perform?
3. How does the author describe the University of Washington crew's performance at the regatta in Poughkeepsie in 1936?
4. What did Bobby Moch's father warn him of when he knew that Bobby would be going to Berlin for the 1936 Olympics? Why?
5. How does the author describe the University of Washington crew's performance at the final Olympic trial in Part 4: Touching the Divine, Chapter 15?
6. What statement did Al Ulbrickson make via an open letter to the Seattle Times in September of 1935? Why did he make this announcement?
7. How and why was the 1936 invasion by the Nazis into Rhineland significant to Adolf Hitler's cause and objectives?
8. Where did the American rowing crews lodge and train during the 1936 Summer Olympics? How is this setting described by the author?
9. What conflicts arose in the U.S. and other countries regarding Germany hosting the 1936 Summer Olympics? How were these conflicts resolved?
10. How was the necessary money raised for the crew from the University of Washington to attend the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)