|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Joseph Goebbels' wife?
(a) Irina Goebbels.
(b) Eleanor Goebbels.
(c) Sarah Goebbels.
(d) Magda Goebbels.
2. What term refers to a boat with a narrow, flat bottom, high bow, and flaring sides?
3. What word from the narrative refers to a boat race?
4. On what body of water was the first intercollegiate crew race held in the United States?
(a) Langer See.
(b) Lake Siskiyou.
(c) Lake Winnepesaukee.
(d) Montlake Cut.
5. When did Stanford University first compete in the IRA Regatta?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the coxswain of the varsity boat that raced against the freshmen at the University of Washington in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 6?
2. Where was Joyce Simdar sent to live with an aunt after her family's home burned down?
3. Who hired Joe Rantz to help him install a new roof on his farmhouse in the summer of 1934?
4. When was the Aurora Bridge opened?
5. What was Joe Rantz's mother's maiden name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the spiritual rewards and transformation within rowing competitively in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 3?
2. How is George Pocock's childhood described in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 3? How did Pocock become involved with boats?
3. What led up to Joe Rantz's abandonment by his father in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 2?
4. How does the author depict the changes in Joe and the other University of Washington crew members after Coach Bolles announced the final selections for the rowing team in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 5?
5. Where did Joe Rantz go to meet his father in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9? How is this meeting described?
6. What frustrations did Coach Al Ulbrickson face as the crews prepared for Poughkeepsie in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9?
7. What frustrations did Coach Bolles face with the freshman crew after their return from the California regatta in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 7?
8. How would you describe the language style of Daniel James Brown? What aspects of the author's style stand out in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 1?
9. What were Thula's impressions of the farmhouse by the river that Harry Rantz began building in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 4?
10. How is Harry Rantz described in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 2? What were Harry's ambitions?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)