|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to the person that verbally controls a boat's steering, speed, timing, and fluidity in competitive rowing?
2. What word from Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9 means noisy or clamorous?
3. What was the name of Joseph Goebbels' wife?
(a) Eleanor Goebbels.
(b) Magda Goebbels.
(c) Sarah Goebbels.
(d) Irina Goebbels.
4. George Pocock grew up in and around the boathouse of what prominent school?
(a) Harvard University.
(b) Winchester College.
(c) Yale University.
(d) Eton College.
5. What was the nickname that Jim McMillin's crewmates called him?
(a) Jimmy Rogers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the University of California at Berkeley win the Olympic gold for rowing in Amsterdam?
2. What term refers to a boat with a narrow, flat bottom, high bow, and flaring sides?
3. What was the name of Joe Rantz's father?
4. What word from the narrative refers to a boat race?
5. What word from Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 3 refers to an even balance or distribution of weight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the Rantz family live in Seattle when they moved there in 1924-1925? Where did Harry Rantz work at this time?
2. How was Joe Rantz affected by the death of his mother when he was young?
3. How does the author describe the physical toll of rowing in a two-thousand-meter regatta in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 3?
4. How is George Pocock's childhood described in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 3? How did Pocock become involved with boats?
5. How did George Pocock come to his association with the University of Washington?
6. How does the author describe the East-West Coast rivalry in crew and other competitive sports in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 7?
7. What was Ky Ebright's relationship to the University of Washington? How did this history influence his actions as coach at the University of California at Berkeley?
8. How is Harry Rantz described in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 2? What were Harry's ambitions?
9. Why do you think Thula Rantz repeatedly rejected Joe as a part of her family?
10. What led up to Joe Rantz's abandonment by his father in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 2?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)