|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What college fraternity key did Al Ulbrickson frequently twirl as he talked to the crews at the University of Washington?
(a) Beta Sigma Psi.
(b) Delta Sigma Phi.
(c) Phi Beta Kappa.
(d) Phi Kappa Alpha.
2. At what time each night did Al Ulbrickson tell his Washington crew boys that they must go to bed each night in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 8?
(a) 9:00 p.m.
(b) 10:00 p.m.
(c) 11:00 p.m.
(d) 8:00 p.m.
3. What was Joe Rantz's mother's maiden name?
(a) Nellie Maxwell.
(b) Sarah Smith.
(c) Marie Anderson.
(d) Thula Maxwell.
4. What word from Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9 means noisy or clamorous?
5. How hold was Joe Rantz when his father and Thula abandoned him in Sequim, Washington?
6. How many of the original 175 boys were still in competition for a seat in the first two freshman boats at the University of Washington on October 30, 1933?
7. What was the name of the University of Washington student that accidentally set himself on fire during a bonfire and was killed in 1933?
(a) Angus Hay Jr.
(b) Roger Morris.
(c) Willis Thompson.
(d) Byron Noble.
8. What University of Washington crew member's father had been the manager of Bon Marche department store and was famous for hiring spies to infiltrate the unions?
(a) Byron Noble's father.
(b) Frank G. Gorrie's father.
(c) Broussais Beck Jr.'s father.
(d) Angus Hay Jr.'s father.
9. Who were the brothers that were in the all-sophomore boat and the JV boat and sustained a sibling rivalry in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9?
(a) Roger and Andrew Morris.
(b) Sid and George Lund.
(c) Ky and James Ebright.
(d) Jim and Paul Hunt.
10. On what date was Joe Rantz born?
(a) October 9, 1918.
(b) March 31, 1914.
(c) March 4, 1909.
(d) July 1, 1933.
11. In what year did Ed Leader leave the University of Washington's rowing program to coach at Yale?
12. Who was the head of the rowing program at the University of California at Berkeley in 1934?
(a) Willis Thompson.
(b) Roger Morris.
(c) Angus Hay Jr.
(d) Ky Ebright.
13. Who replaced Ed Leader as the head coach of the University of Washington rowing program?
(a) Ky Ebright.
(b) Willis Thompson.
(c) Harvey Love.
(d) Russell Callow.
14. What was the name of Joe's aunt that he was sent to live with after his mother died?
15. What is the Olympic standard distance for all rowing events?
(a) 500 meters.
(b) 2,500 meters.
(c) 2,000 meters.
(d) 1,000 meters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Thula's mother?
2. When did Stanford University first compete in the IRA Regatta?
3. Whose quotations open almost each chapter of The Boys in the Boat?
4. Who was the first person to cross the United States by motor vehicle, traveling by motorcycle from San Francisco to New York?
5. What was the name of Joseph Goebbels' wife?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)