|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the sophomore crew members that Ulbrickson called into his office and told they needed to shape up in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9?
(a) Frank, Bobby, Ky, Harry, and Jerry.
(b) Mike, Byron, George, Joe, and Willis.
(c) Joe, Bobby, George, and Russell.
(d) George, Chuck, Roger, Shorty, and Joe.
2. Who was the first person to cross the United States by motor vehicle, traveling by motorcycle from San Francisco to New York?
(a) George A. Wyman.
(b) Tom Bolles.
(c) Roger Morris.
(d) Angus Hay Jr.
3. What was novel about the manner in which Joe Rantz's parents married?
(a) They were married over the telephone.
(b) They were married in an airplane.
(c) They were married over the internet.
(d) They were married on a mountaintop.
4. How many acres was the "stump farm" that Harry Rantz purchased in Sequim?
(a) 93 acres.
(b) 10 acres.
(c) 45 acres.
(d) 160 acres.
5. Who revealed to Joe Rantz the location where his father had been living in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 8?
(a) Thula Rantz.
(b) Byron Noble.
(c) Fred Rantz.
(d) Ky Ebright.
6. George Pocock grew up in and around the boathouse of what prominent school?
(a) Winchester College.
(b) Eton College.
(c) Yale University.
(d) Harvard University.
7. What was the name of the business where Joe visited his father at work in Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9?
(a) The Golden Rule Dairy and Bakery.
(b) Clyde's Deli and Bakery.
(c) The White Horse Tavern.
(d) The Northern-Pacific-Railroad.
8. How far did Roger Morris walk to the University of Washington each day from his parents' home in Fremont?
(a) 16 miles.
(b) 1.5 miles.
(c) 5.5 miles.
(d) 2.5 miles.
9. In their sophomore year, Joe Rantz's crew changed their rowing chant from "M-I-B" to what?
10. The first American intercollegiate crew race in America took place in what year?
11. Where did Harry go to fetch a doctor when Thula went into labor in November of 1924?
(a) Mammoth, California.
(b) San Francisco, California.
(c) Sequim, Washington.
(d) Bonners Ferry, Idaho.
12. In what year did the University of California at Berkeley win the Olympic gold for rowing in Amsterdam?
13. On what date did Joyce Simdar's family home burn to the ground?
(a) March 11, 1911.
(b) March 4, 1933.
(c) September 29, 1929.
(d) October 9, 1926.
14. Who hired Joe Rantz to help him install a new roof on his farmhouse in the summer of 1934?
(a) Russell Callow.
(b) Willis Thompson.
(c) Frank G. Gorrie.
(d) Charlie McDonald.
15. What was the name of Thula's mother?
(a) Mary LaFollette.
(b) Ellen Jackson.
(c) Emily Thompson.
(d) Sarah McWilliams.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many inches of rain does the author describe falling at the University of Washington during the course of a month of flooding in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 5?
2. What word from Part 3: The Parts That Really Matter, Chapter 9 means noisy or clamorous?
3. In what year did the Wright brothers make the first controlled human flight?
4. What was the name of Joseph Goebbels' wife?
5. What was the name of Joe Rantz's father?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)