|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the game warden do when he spied Joe Rantz poaching salmon in the beginning of Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 8?
(a) He hit him over the head with a piece of driftwood.
(b) He called Joe's father.
(c) He shot him in the ankle with a pistol.
(d) He hauled Joe to the county jail.
2. In what year did Hiram Conibear die?
3. What college fraternity key did Al Ulbrickson frequently twirl as he talked to the crews at the University of Washington?
(a) Phi Beta Kappa.
(b) Delta Sigma Phi.
(c) Phi Kappa Alpha.
(d) Beta Sigma Psi.
4. What word from the narrative refers to a boat race?
5. On what date did Joyce Simdar's family home burn to the ground?
(a) March 11, 1911.
(b) March 4, 1933.
(c) October 9, 1926.
(d) September 29, 1929.
6. Whose quotations open almost each chapter of The Boys in the Boat?
(a) George Pocock's.
(b) Ky Ebright's.
(c) Joe Rantz's.
(d) Al Ulbrickson's.
7. In what year did Ed Leader leave the University of Washington's rowing program to coach at Yale?
8. What was the nickname that Jim McMillin's crewmates called him?
(c) Jimmy Rogers.
9. In what year did the Wright brothers make the first controlled human flight?
10. What was the name of the train that the Washington crews took to Poughkeepsie in 1934?
(a) The White Rocket.
(b) The Red Baron.
(c) The Empire Builder.
(d) The Great Pacific.
11. What was the name of the swing band that Roger Morris played with for extra money on the weekends while attending school at the University of Washington?
(a) The White Notes.
(b) The Blue Lyres.
(c) The Black-jackets.
(d) The Green Keys.
12. When was Franklin D. Roosevelt inaugurated as President of the United States?
(a) October 9, 1933.
(b) March 4, 1933.
(c) ecember 14, 1930.
(d) July 1, 1932.
13. Where were the University of Washington rowing crew tryouts held in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 1?
(a) Arcata Bay.
(b) Montlake Cut.
(c) Jackson Bay.
(d) Langer See.
14. On what date does the author say "it began to rain in Seattle as it had never rained before and has never rained since" in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 5?
(a) July 1, 1933.
(b) March 31, 1914.
(c) March 4, 1933.
(d) December 2, 1933.
15. On what date did George Pocock and his brother Dick first arrive in Vancouver, Canada?
(a) March 31, 1914.
(b) December 14, 1930.
(c) March 11, 1911.
(d) March 23, 1891.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hired Joe Rantz to help him install a new roof on his farmhouse in the summer of 1934?
2. In what year did Joe Rantz's parents marry?
3. Who accompanied Joe Rantz as he made his way to the University of Washington crew tryouts in Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 1?
4. Who was the coxswain of the varsity boat that raced against the freshmen at the University of Washington in Part 2: Resiliency, Chapter 6?
5. Who was the head coach of the University of Washington rowing program in 1933?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)