Prologue, Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 1
• In the Prologue, author Daniel James Brown describes meeting Joe Rantz, the main subject of the book.
• The first chapter opens on a grey day in Seattle in 1933, as two young men, Joe Rantz and Roger Morris, attend the freshmen rowing crew tryouts at the University of Washington.
• At the same time, thousands of miles away, architect Werner March meets with Adolf Hitler to discuss the largest sports stadium in Germany for use in the upcoming Olympics.
Part 1: What Seasons They Have Been Through, Chapter 2
• Chapter 2 delves more deeply into Joe Rantz’s childhood, describing his parents, Harry and Nellie Rantz, and his older brother Frank.
• Joe’s mother died of throat cancer when Joe was four-years-old and Joe was uprooted from his home and sent to live with various relatives.
• Fred married Thelma LaFollette at the age of...
This section contains 1,915 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)