|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the trader live who had had gum balls stolen from him?
2. How much did William's father have to pay for the gumballs?
3. How many pails of grain could be gotten from a bag of grain?
4. What was the normal seasonal price of maize?
5. What church did William's family attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Trywell went to the bank in Kasungu to withdraw his last savings?
2. What plan did Trywell devise to keep his family alive during the famine?
3. What was the "hungry season"?
4. What happened to the forests of Malawi?
5. How did Trywell build a two-room house for his family?
6. How did William describe courtship rituals?
7. How did William persuade the headmaster at school to allow him to attend school even though William didn't have the proper footwear?
8. How did William say that his father saved him from certain death when William was 6?
9. What happened to Chief Wimbe after he spoke and asked the president to buy grain?
10. What did William determine to do after he failed to get into the secondary school that he wanted to attend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After William received the grades for his Standard Eight exams, he explained how the education system in Malawi. Discuss education in Malawi and how William fared in the educational system.
Essay Topic 2
William and his friend Geoffrey used ingenuity to learn how to fix radios. Discuss ingenuity and how William and his friend Geoffrey used ingenuity for their projects.
Essay Topic 3
Along with the rains came cholera. Discuss cholera and its effects in Malawi.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)