|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many weeks could it take for tobacco to dry?
2. When gaga ran low, what did traders mix with it?
3. What was the highest grade that William received on his primary school exams?
4. In 2002, when was the tobacco ready to prune?
5. How far did William have to walk to his new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Khamba die?
2. How did farming change after President Banda retired?
3. What happened to Chief Wimbe after he spoke and asked the president to buy grain?
4. As the famine wore on, why didn't maize mill owners need a broom any more?
5. What did William determine to do after he failed to get into the secondary school that he wanted to attend?
6. Why were radios so important in Malawi?
7. Why was cholera a terrible way to die?
8. What were hunts like when Trywell was a young man?
9. How did William's family celebrate Christmas before the famine?
10. How did William and his friends make toy trucks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christmas was far from normal in 2001. Compare and contrast Christmas before and during the 2001 famine.
Essay Topic 2
William would never have been able to get his windmill started without the help of his friends. Discuss how William's friends helped him with the windmill project.
Essay Topic 3
Along with the rains came cholera. Discuss cholera and its effects in Malawi.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)