|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month did William say was harvest time in Malawi?
2. Where did Trywell live when he was a trader?
3. When did the first rains usually come to Malawi?
4. How often did William's grandfather visit William's family?
5. In 2002, when was the tobacco ready to prune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Trywell went to the bank in Kasungu to withdraw his last savings?
2. What bit of luck did Geoffrey have during a storm?
3. What plan did Trywell devise to keep his family alive during the famine?
4. Who were William's friends?
5. Who was Banda?
6. Why didn't the Malawian government have any surplus food when other sources ran out?
7. How did William describe courtship rituals?
8. How did William's family celebrate Christmas before the famine?
9. How did Trywell build a two-room house for his family?
10. What did Trywell tell William they would do about those who stole the Kamkwamba's crops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After a visit to the casinos in Las Vegas, William went to sleep dreaming of Malawi, and all the things made possible when dreams are powered by the heart. The objective of this lesson is to discuss William's dreams for the future.
Essay Topic 2
William found a book that explained the uses of windmills. Discuss how a windmill would benefit William and his family.
Essay Topic 3
After William received the grades for his Standard Eight exams, he explained how the education system in Malawi. Discuss education in Malawi and how William fared in the educational system.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)