|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the trader live who had had gum balls stolen from him?
2. When a terrible disease swept the district, how long would people live if they didn't receive treatment?
3. What was Uncle John's wife's name?
4. In Chapter 6, how much tobacco were the Kamkwambas able to plant?
5. In Chapter 7, how many people did William say lived in Malawi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were radios so important in Malawi?
2. Why was a black rhino a problem to the people in a village in Chapter 1?
3. What would William and Geoffrey use as a power source when they were fixing radios?
4. What did William determine to do after he failed to get into the secondary school that he wanted to attend?
5. How did Khamba die?
6. How did Malawians eat maize?
7. What happened to Chief Wimbe after he spoke and asked the president to buy grain?
8. What happened when Trywell went to the bank in Kasungu to withdraw his last savings?
9. How did farming change after President Banda retired?
10. How did William and his friends make toy trucks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William referred to a famine as a time of trouble. Discuss the famine and its causes and effects.
Essay Topic 2
William commented that in farming a man can lose everything very quickly. Discuss farming in Malawi and why it was so difficult.
Essay Topic 3
The village chief dictated how John's property would be dispersed after his death. Discuss the role of the village chief in Malawi.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)