|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were witches and wizards supposedly allergic to?
2. What was the only meat that William's family had to eat sometimes?
3. What percent of Malawians did William say had electricity?
4. What did members of Uncle John's church sing when they went to his house and stayed all night and the next day?
5. What were the best batteries for William and Geoffrey to use for their radio repair business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the "hungry season"?
2. What happened to Chief Wimbe after he spoke and asked the president to buy grain?
3. How did Malawians eat maize?
4. Who were William's friends?
5. What plan did Trywell devise to keep his family alive during the famine?
6. As the famine wore on, why didn't maize mill owners need a broom any more?
7. What bit of luck did Geoffrey have during a storm?
8. How did William and his friends make toy trucks?
9. What happened to the forests of Malawi?
10. How did farming change after President Banda retired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss step-up transformers and how and why William built one.
Essay Topic 2
Along with the rains came cholera. Discuss cholera and its effects in Malawi.
Essay Topic 3
William and his friend Geoffrey used ingenuity to learn how to fix radios. Discuss ingenuity and how William and his friend Geoffrey used ingenuity for their projects.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)