|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school was William chosen for after his exams?
2. What religion did Gilbert's family follow?
3. What was the lowest grade that William received on his primary school exams?
4. What did Uncle John die from?
5. How many daughters did Uncle Socrates have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did William's parents meet?
2. Why didn't the Malawian government have any surplus food when other sources ran out?
3. What happened to the forests of Malawi?
4. How did John, Trywell's brother die?
5. How did William's family celebrate Christmas before the famine?
6. Describe the hole that was dug for coffins.
7. How did William persuade the headmaster at school to allow him to attend school even though William didn't have the proper footwear?
8. What did Trywell tell William they would do about those who stole the Kamkwamba's crops?
9. What did William determine to do after he failed to get into the secondary school that he wanted to attend?
10. Why did Trywell hand over John's business to John's first-born son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The village chief dictated how John's property would be dispersed after his death. Discuss the role of the village chief in Malawi.
Essay Topic 2
William commented that in farming a man can lose everything very quickly. Discuss farming in Malawi and why it was so difficult.
Essay Topic 3
William and his friend Geoffrey used ingenuity to learn how to fix radios. Discuss ingenuity and how William and his friend Geoffrey used ingenuity for their projects.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)