|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the beast that was bothering the villagers was killed, how many days did the villagers feast on the beast?
2. When did the first rains usually come to Malawi?
3. How far did William have to walk to his new school?
4. How many pails of grain could be gotten from a bag of grain?
5. How old was William when his Uncle John died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did William get a dynamo for his windmill?
2. What did Trywell tell William they would do about those who stole the Kamkwamba's crops?
3. Why was it difficult for William to read on his own books from the library?
4. What happened when William tested his windmill for the first time?
5. What did William determine to do after he failed to get into the secondary school that he wanted to attend?
6. At the beginning of Chapter 9, how did William waste time in the trading center?
7. Describe the place where William put his windmill together.
8. How did William describe courtship rituals?
9. What happened to many boys who dropped out of school?
10. As the famine wore on, why didn't maize mill owners need a broom any more?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Malawi had many energy problems. Discuss the energy problems in Malawi and the effects of the lack of energy.
Essay Topic 2
William's Uncle John died. Discuss the reactions to his death.
Essay Topic 3
Once the windmill was working, William began to wire his room for electricity. Discuss the problems William faced when he installed electricity in his room and house and how he solved them.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)