|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the beast that was bothering the villagers was killed, how many days did the villagers feast on the beast?
2. What did William's family use to find their way at night?
3. What church did William's family attend?
4. How far did people have to go to get fuel at the petrol station in Mtunthama?
5. When did William take his Standard Eight final exam?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Chief Wimbe after he spoke and asked the president to buy grain?
2. What bit of luck did Geoffrey have during a storm?
3. How did farming change after President Banda retired?
4. How did William describe courtship rituals?
5. Who were William's friends?
6. As the famine wore on, why didn't maize mill owners need a broom any more?
7. How did William's family celebrate Christmas before the famine?
8. Why did Trywell hand over John's business to John's first-born son?
9. Why didn't the Malawian government have any surplus food when other sources ran out?
10. What were hunts like when Trywell was a young man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After William received the grades for his Standard Eight exams, he explained how the education system in Malawi. Discuss education in Malawi and how William fared in the educational system.
Essay Topic 2
Once the windmill was working, William began to wire his room for electricity. Discuss the problems William faced when he installed electricity in his room and house and how he solved them.
Essay Topic 3
Along with the rains came cholera. Discuss cholera and its effects in Malawi.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)