|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease swept the district shortly after Khamba died?
2. How far was William's school from Gilbert's house?
3. How far did people who lived near Wimbe have to travel to find a handful of wood?
4. What was the normal seasonal price of maize?
5. What did members of Uncle John's church sing when they went to his house and stayed all night and the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did William say that his father saved him from certain death when William was 6?
2. How did farming change after President Banda retired?
3. Who were William's friends?
4. How did William describe courtship rituals?
5. Why was a black rhino a problem to the people in a village in Chapter 1?
6. Why were radios so important in Malawi?
7. How did Malawians eat maize?
8. How did John, Trywell's brother die?
9. What plan did Trywell devise to keep his family alive during the famine?
10. What precautions were taken to help stop the spread of cholera?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William shared good times and bad times in his autobiography. Discuss the overall mood of the book.
Essay Topic 2
William's Uncle John died. Discuss the reactions to his death.
Essay Topic 3
Along with the rains came cholera. Discuss cholera and its effects in Malawi.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)