|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Malawian word for maize?
2. What did William's family use to find their way at night?
3. In what year was William born?
4. When did the first rains usually come to Malawi?
5. When did William take his Standard Eight final exam?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Khamba die?
2. How did William describe courtship rituals?
3. How did William persuade the headmaster at school to allow him to attend school even though William didn't have the proper footwear?
4. Who were William's friends?
5. What precautions were taken to help stop the spread of cholera?
6. What happened when Trywell went to the bank in Kasungu to withdraw his last savings?
7. As the famine wore on, why didn't maize mill owners need a broom any more?
8. What was the "hungry season"?
9. What did Trywell tell William they would do about those who stole the Kamkwamba's crops?
10. How did John, Trywell's brother die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William's greatest fear was that he would end up like his father. Discuss why William feared becoming like his father.
Essay Topic 2
William's Uncle John died. Discuss the reactions to his death.
Essay Topic 3
In 2006, people outside Wimbe discovered William and his windmill. Discuss how William and his windmill were discovered by the outside world.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)