|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation did most Malawian men pursue?
2. What time would William get up during planting season?
3. How many radio stations were available in Malawi for many years?
4. What disease swept the district shortly after Khamba died?
5. How many acres did Uncle John buy to grow maize and tobacco?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did William describe courtship rituals?
2. What was the "hungry season"?
3. How did farming change after President Banda retired?
4. What plan did Trywell devise to keep his family alive during the famine?
5. What happened to the forests of Malawi?
6. What did William determine to do after he failed to get into the secondary school that he wanted to attend?
7. How did William persuade the headmaster at school to allow him to attend school even though William didn't have the proper footwear?
8. Why were radios so important in Malawi?
9. Why did Trywell hand over John's business to John's first-born son?
10. What were hunts like when Trywell was a young man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William's Uncle John died. Discuss the reactions to his death.
Essay Topic 2
The village chief dictated how John's property would be dispersed after his death. Discuss the role of the village chief in Malawi.
Essay Topic 3
Along with the rains came cholera. Discuss cholera and its effects in Malawi.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)