|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did William's family use to find their way at night?
(a) Fires lit in front of their homes.
(d) Kerosene lamps.
2. On what day did Malawians celebrate their independence from England?
(a) July 6.
(b) August 1.
(c) July 4.
(d) August 10.
3. What did Charity and William try to eat on Christmas 2001?
(a) Bird eggs.
(b) Dog entrails.
(d) Goat skin.
4. Where was William sent to try to get food from the ADMARC?
5. How many weeks could it take for tobacco to dry?
(a) 9 weeks.
(b) 8 weeks.
(c) 7 weeks.
(d) 6 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many radio stations were available in Malawi for many years?
2. What was the Malawian word for maize?
3. When a terrible disease swept the district, how long would people live if they didn't receive treatment?
4. Where did the government produce electricity for Malawi?
5. How many days did William spend with his grandparents after he tried to get mangolomera?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did William say that his father saved him from certain death when William was 6?
2. How did Trywell build a two-room house for his family?
3. Why didn't the Malawian government have any surplus food when other sources ran out?
4. Describe the hole that was dug for coffins.
5. What was the "hungry season"?
6. What bit of luck did Geoffrey have during a storm?
7. Why were radios so important in Malawi?
8. What happened to the forests of Malawi?
9. How did William's family celebrate Christmas before the famine?
10. How did John, Trywell's brother die?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)