|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1942, what does Helmuth receive for breakfast?
2. In 1942, how are prisoners killed?
3. When does Helmuth's mother have a new boyfriend?
4. In 1928, how old are Helmuth's half brothers?
5. Where is Helmuth's church in 1942?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Helmuth waiting for at school on January 30, 1933, and what does he learn?
2. In 1938 what do Helmuth and Rudi decide to do together?
3. In a radio speech in 1933, what does Hitler say about communism?
4. In 1938 why is Rudi interrogated by the Gestapo?
5. In 1938 when Helmuth joins the Hitler Youth, what does Hugo say and do?
6. What is the Treaty of Versailles and how did it affect Germany?
7. In 1933, what happens when Herr Seligmann tries to wash off the insults off his shop windows?
8. In 1933, why is Helmuth shocked that his school teacher says that Benno Seligmann and his family are traitors?
9. In 1939, why does Hugo say that laws like not listening to foreign radio stations are necessary during wartime?
10. In 1939 what happens to revenge the death of Nazi official, Ernst vom Rath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helmuth learns from BBC broadcasts that Germany is not truthful about the progress of the war and uses propaganda to mask Germany’s losses. What propaganda does Hitler use? How does he use propaganda to control the German people? How is propaganda used to motivate the German people into supporting the war?
Essay Topic 2
All the letters Helmuth wrote is family were gone, but Gerhard had memorized his letter. What did Helmuth’s letter reveal about Helmuth? What was the significance of the letter?
Essay Topic 3
The novel takes place in Germany during Hitler’s rise to power and World War II. Does the setting serve as a backdrop or does it almost take on the role of a character? How does the setting evoke feelings and set the tone in the novel?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)