|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who could not enter the barracks at Emalia without Schindler's permission?
2. In what subjects did Dr. Neu tutor Leon?
3. Why did Leon's parents feel fortunate to be a part of the Narewka Benevolent Club?
4. Where did Leon and his family stay on their return to Krakow?
5. What was Plaszow?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what did Leon's father promise that he would do?
2. In Chapter 10, why did Leon, and probably others, feel shock and "confused, weak, and ecstatic all at once" after they were liberated?
3. In Chapter 10, why did Leon decide to leave his fedora behind instead of wearing it as he set off for California?
4. In the epilogue, what are some of the reasons that Leon might not have wanted to talk about his Holocaust experiences in the United States at first?
5. In Chapter 10, why didn't Leon throw things at the defeated and captive German soldiers walking by as some other people did?
6. In Chapter 6, how was Leon able to go with the group leaving for Plaszow even though he was told by a guard that he would go later?
7. In the epilogue, how might it have helped Leon once he told Lis and others about his experiences?
8. In Chapter 6, how did Leon, his mother, Samuel, and Yossel avoid the roundup?
9. In Chapter 10 and throughout the book, did Leon seem to survive more with luck or with cleverness and ingenuity?
10. In Chapter 6, why did Leon's mother break their furniture that they were not taking with them to Ghetto A by throwing it over the railing on the balcony of their apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on what you read, why do you think Leon Leyson finally decided to share his story with the world?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Leon seem to change and develop as a person from the beginning of his story until the end of it? Trace his development. Which single event do you think changed Leon the most? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Even in the midst of tragedy, cruelty, and despair, what are some of the ways in which the goodness of humanity come through in The Boy on the Wooden Box? Give at least three examples from the text.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)