|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Plaszow?
2. Where did Leon and his mother stay in the ghetto to which they were transferred in Chapter 6?
3. When did Leon begin publicly talking about his Holocaust experiences?
4. How many meals were Leon and other workers at Emalia given per day?
5. What did Leon do for the U.S. Army during the Korean War?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why did Leon's mother break their furniture that they were not taking with them to Ghetto A by throwing it over the railing on the balcony of their apartment?
2. In Chapter 7, why was Leon glad to be assigned a job at the brush factory?
3. In Chapter 10 and throughout the book, did Leon seem to survive more with luck or with cleverness and ingenuity?
4. In Chapter 10, why didn't Leon throw things at the defeated and captive German soldiers walking by as some other people did?
5. In Chapter 10, why did Leon, and probably others, feel shock and "confused, weak, and ecstatic all at once" after they were liberated?
6. In Chapter 8, did Leon's father think that Tsalig is still alive? How do you know?
7. In the epilogue, what are some indications that Leon was motivated and successful?
8. In Chapter 8, how did Oskar Schindler act differently than most Nazis?
9. In Chapter 9, what was a way in which Leon obtained more food?
10. Why were Leon, David, and Moshe to be transferred to Plaszow in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on what you read, why do you think Leon Leyson finally decided to share his story with the world?
Essay Topic 2
As evidenced by the individuals in The Boy on the Wooden Box, what are ways in which discrimination, mistreatment, and prejudice negatively affect people?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of relationship did Leon have with his mother and his father? How would you describe their relationship?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)