|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Nazi business owner who hired Leon's father?
2. Why would Tsalig not get off the train with Schindler?
3. Why did Leon's father and Hershel head back to Narewka?
4. Why did Hershel go to Krakow with his father?
5. Why did Leon not try to save Tsalig?
Short Essay Questions
1. Leon consistently proves not to be selfish. How does he demonstrate this in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 5, how do Leon and his family obtain food?
3. In Chapter 2, why might Leon's parents have downplayed the severity of events that were happening, particularly those against Jewish people?
4. In Chapter 2, readers learn that Hershel has changed from being stubborn and difficult to being considerate and responsible. Why might he have changed?
5. In Chapter 4, how did the Shabbat candles help the family?
6. Which details in Chapter 1 reflect the fun and carefree aspects of Leon's childhood?
7. Why might Jewish people in Narewka have trusted German soldiers when they entered Poland in 1939?
8. Why did Leon enjoy city life more than his mother, as shown in Chapter 2?
9. In Chapter 1, like many other Jews in Narewka, how was Leon treated during Holy Week?
10. In Chapter 1, in what ways is it apparent that religion played a central role in Leon Leyson's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What life lessons did Leon learn from his parents? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
With which person in The Boy on the Wooden Box could you relate the most? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Leon had to react to many different situations in his book. What is an event described in the book to which Leon reacted in a way that probably saved his life? Explain.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)