|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Leysons not have to face deportation?
2. Which word describes the way Leon and David responded in the days after their father is beaten and taken away?
3. What was the short name for Schindler's factory?
4. Why wasn't Moshe fired by the new Nazi owners of the glass factory when all other Jewish workers there were?
5. In which of the following fun childhood activities did Leon participate in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Leon have made negative comments about Miriam to Tsalig in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 2, why might Leon's parents have downplayed the severity of events that were happening, particularly those against Jewish people?
3. As mentioned in Chapter 1, why did Leon's family not often buy new clothes?
4. In Chapter 3, what might have been some of the effects of the propaganda about and restrictions and abuse against Jews?
5. Why might Jewish people in Narewka have trusted German soldiers when they entered Poland in 1939?
6. In Chapter 4, how did the Shabbat candles help the family?
7. In Chapter 4, what is the symbolic significance of the rounded stones on top of the walls surrounding the ghetto?
8. After reading the prologue, what difficulties do you predict that Leon Leyson, the author and narrator, might face?
9. Leon consistently proves not to be selfish. How does he demonstrate this in Chapter 2?
10. In Chapter 2, how was moving to Krakow a series of big adventures for Leon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leon had to react to many different situations in his book. What is an event described in the book to which Leon reacted in a way that probably saved his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the main purpose of the book, The Boy on the Wooden Box?
Essay Topic 3
Based on what you read, why do you think Leon Leyson finally decided to share his story with the world?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)