|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Leon make friends with in the ghetto?
2. Which word best describes Leon's parents?
3. Why did the Nazi soldiers break into the Leyson family's apartment and slap Leon?
4. Where was Leon born?
5. According to Nazis, Aryans were people with what characteristics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which details in Chapter 1 reflect the fun and carefree aspects of Leon's childhood?
2. In Chapter 3, after Leon is no longer allowed to attend school because he is Jewish, what feelings does this cause him to have?
3. In Chapter 3, what might have been some of the effects of the propaganda about and restrictions and abuse against Jews?
4. In Chapter 2, why might Leon have felt more nervous excitement than fear while his family and community made emergency plans and preparations for the possibility of war?
5. In Chapter 5, when Leon rode the man's bike after cleaning it, why did he feel so free?
6. In Chapter 4, what was the significance of the following phrase: "If this is the worst that happens"?
7. In Chapter 3, how is Leon's father affected by his beating and imprisonment?
8. Why might Jewish people in Narewka have trusted German soldiers when they entered Poland in 1939?
9. In Chapter 4, how did the Shabbat candles help the family?
10. What does it say about Tsalig in Chapter 5 that he refuses to get off the train to deport him because Miriam cannot also go with Schindler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are 2 or 3 of the themes, which are central concepts or lessons that can be learned about life, people, or society, that run throughout The Boy on the Wooden Box?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the scenes in The Boy on the Wooden Box were thought-provoking. Which event or scene in the book really made you think or changed your perspective on something? Which scene was it? How did it affect you?
Essay Topic 3
Do you consider Oskar Schindler a hero? Why or why not?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)