|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what did Leon decide was the greatest invention?
2. In Chapter 4, what was rumored to be happening to those who were deported?
3. Why would Tsalig not get off the train with Schindler?
4. Where was the Leyson family's new home in the ghetto located?
5. Who did Leon stand next to in the synagogue every Friday night and Saturday morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. As mentioned in Chapter 1, why did Leon's family not often buy new clothes?
2. In Chapter 4, what was the importance of Leon's father's Bescheinigung?
3. In Chapter 3, after Leon is no longer allowed to attend school because he is Jewish, what feelings does this cause him to have?
4. As discussed in Chapter 1, which aspects of daily life for Leon and his family then, in the 1930s, were different from daily life today?
5. In Chapter 2, why might Leon have felt more nervous excitement than fear while his family and community made emergency plans and preparations for the possibility of war?
6. In Chapter 2, why might Leon's parents have downplayed the severity of events that were happening, particularly those against Jewish people?
7. In Chapter 1, like many other Jews in Narewka, how was Leon treated during Holy Week?
8. In Chapter 3, how is Leon's father affected by his beating and imprisonment?
9. What does it say about Tsalig in Chapter 5 that he refuses to get off the train to deport him because Miriam cannot also go with Schindler?
10. In Chapter 4, what was the significance of the following phrase: "If this is the worst that happens"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some ways in which hatred, discrimination, and atrocities like the Holocaust and other genocides can be prevented (or their likelihood lessened)? What can people in general do to make things better? What can you do to make things better?
Essay Topic 2
Do you consider Leon to have been a hero? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you consider Oskar Schindler a hero? Why or why not?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)