|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What became a preoccupation for Leon?
2. Why did the Nazi soldiers break into the Leyson family's apartment and slap Leon?
(a) He had refused to speak to one of them.
(b) He had disobeyed an order from one of them.
(c) They noticed that he was not wearing his required armband.
(d) They found out he was Jewish.
3. Why did Leon's parents no longer have money in a savings account in Chapter 3?
(a) All bank accounts belonging to Jewish people had become Nazi property.
(b) They withdrew it from the bank to have it in cash if needed.
(c) They gave it to Chanah's parents.
(d) They had to spend it just to be able to provide food and shelter for their family.
4. Which group did Hitler blame publicly for Germany's problems?
5. According to the prologue, how did Oskar Schindler convince the Nazis to give permission for Leon and other Jewish people to work in his factories?
(a) He claimed that they might possibly be spies working for the enemy.
(b) He said that the workers would help to rebuild Germany's economy.
(c) He claimed they were essential to the war effort.
(d) He explained that they could help him build more factories.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what was rumored to be happening to those who were deported?
2. What significant event happens when Leon was 8?
3. In December 1939, what did Nazis decree that Jews could no longer do?
4. Who did Leon's father ask Schindler to hire?
5. What was the name of the Nazi business owner who hired Leon's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, how do Leon and his family obtain food?
2. In Chapter 2, why might Leon's parents have downplayed the severity of events that were happening, particularly those against Jewish people?
3. What does it say about Tsalig in Chapter 5 that he refuses to get off the train to deport him because Miriam cannot also go with Schindler?
4. Why did Leon enjoy city life more than his mother, as shown in Chapter 2?
5. After reading the prologue, what difficulties do you predict that Leon Leyson, the author and narrator, might face?
6. In Chapter 1, like many other Jews in Narewka, how was Leon treated during Holy Week?
7. In Chapter 4, what is the symbolic significance of the rounded stones on top of the walls surrounding the ghetto?
8. In Chapter 4, how did the Shabbat candles help the family?
9. Why was it a relief for Leon when, in Chapter 1, Hershel moved with his father to Kraków?
10. Leon consistently proves not to be selfish. How does he demonstrate this in Chapter 2?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)