|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Leon make friends with in the ghetto?
(a) Joseph and Stuart.
(b) Yossel and Samuel.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Murray.
(d) The Apperson family.
2. Which word describes the way Leon and David responded in the days after their father is beaten and taken away?
3. Who did Leon's parents and many others in Narewka make a mistake of trusting in 1939?
(a) The Polish people who entered Germany.
(b) The local merchants' association.
(c) The Lansman family.
(d) The Germans who entered Poland.
4. Why did the Leysons not have to face deportation?
(a) Chanah's work permit.
(b) Their social status.
(c) Moshe's work permit.
(d) Their wealth.
5. According to the prologue, how did Leon Leyson reach the controls of the machine he was supposed to operate in Schindler's factory?
(a) He stood on a metal shipping container.
(b) He stood on a 4-foot-long ladder.
(c) He stood on a wooden box.
(d) He stood on a footstool.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Leon's parents no longer have money in a savings account in Chapter 3?
2. Who were the Leyson's neighbors in their apartment in the ghetto?
3. How did the Nazis announce what they considered to be their successes?
4. What ominous sign happened on September 1, 1939?
5. What is foreshadowed by the Yiddish song "Oyfn Pripetchik" (called "On the Hearth" in English)?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 4, what is the symbolic significance of the rounded stones on top of the walls surrounding the ghetto?
2. After reading the prologue, what difficulties do you predict that Leon Leyson, the author and narrator, might face?
3. In Chapter 2, how was moving to Krakow a series of big adventures for Leon?
4. Leon consistently proves not to be selfish. How does he demonstrate this in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 5, when Leon rode the man's bike after cleaning it, why did he feel so free?
6. As mentioned in Chapter 1, why did Leon's family not often buy new clothes?
7. Why was it a relief for Leon when, in Chapter 1, Hershel moved with his father to Kraków?
8. Why might Jewish people in Narewka have trusted German soldiers when they entered Poland in 1939?
9. In Chapter 3, how is Leon's father affected by his beating and imprisonment?
10. In Chapter 2, why might Leon have felt more nervous excitement than fear while his family and community made emergency plans and preparations for the possibility of war?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)