|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Leon's father work for free in Chapter 3?
(a) He did this in exchange for housing and food.
(b) He was required to work, even though he was not paid.
(c) The work enabled him to gain experience to open his own business.
(d) He did it in order to have some protection against the Nazis.
2. Why did Moshe move to Krakow?
(a) To leave his wife.
(b) To provide for his family.
(c) To find a new job.
(d) To escape persecution.
3. Who did Leon stand next to in the synagogue every Friday night and Saturday morning?
(a) Mr. Lansman.
(b) His great-grandfather.
(d) Jacob Meyer.
4. What kind of school did Leon attend?
(a) Toolmaking school.
(b) Secret Christian school.
(c) Secret Hebrew school.
(d) Mathetmatics school.
5. In what kind of factory did Leon's father work in Chapter 2?
(a) A glass factory.
(b) A clothing factory.
(c) A balloon factory.
(d) A paper factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, which of the following had the most influence in Leon's daily life?
2. Before 1939, what was the war that lasted from 1914-1918 called?
3. Where did Mr. Luftig promise to take Leon someday?
4. When were Leon and his family forcibly moved into the ghetto?
5. Who were the Gestapo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Leon have made negative comments about Miriam to Tsalig in Chapter 5?
2. Why did Leon enjoy city life more than his mother, as shown in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 2, why might Leon's parents have downplayed the severity of events that were happening, particularly those against Jewish people?
4. In Chapter 4, what was the significance of the following phrase: "If this is the worst that happens"?
5. What does it say about Tsalig in Chapter 5 that he refuses to get off the train to deport him because Miriam cannot also go with Schindler?
6. As mentioned in Chapter 1, why did Leon's family not often buy new clothes?
7. In Chapter 3, how is Leon's father affected by his beating and imprisonment?
8. In Chapter 1, in what ways is it apparent that religion played a central role in Leon Leyson's life?
9. In Chapter 5, when Leon rode the man's bike after cleaning it, why did he feel so free?
10. In Chapter 3, what might have been some of the effects of the propaganda about and restrictions and abuse against Jews?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)