|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Leon's father work for free in Chapter 3?
(a) He did it in order to have some protection against the Nazis.
(b) He did this in exchange for housing and food.
(c) He was required to work, even though he was not paid.
(d) The work enabled him to gain experience to open his own business.
2. Why did Schindler name his factory "German Enamel Works"?
(a) To carry on a family tradition.
(b) To follow the law about naming a business.
(c) To appeal to German army contractors.
(d) To make sure it was not confused with another local enamel business.
3. What became a preoccupation for Leon?
4. Which of the following was true of Narewka in 1935?
(a) Its streets were paved.
(b) Its houses had indoor plumbing.
(c) Its buildings were mostly brick.
(d) It had electricity.
5. When did Germans show up in Krakow after having invaded Poland?
(a) October 13, 1942.
(b) August 11, 1945.
(c) September 1, 1939.
(d) September 6, 1939.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Nazi soldiers break into the Leyson family's apartment and slap Leon?
2. In Chapter 1, which of the following had the most influence in Leon's daily life?
3. In Chapter 2, what did Leon decide was the greatest invention?
4. Which word best describes Leon's parents?
5. How did Leon's mother, Chanah, obtain food for her family after Moshe was taken away?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, when Leon rode the man's bike after cleaning it, why did he feel so free?
2. In Chapter 5, how do Leon and his family obtain food?
3. As discussed in Chapter 1, which aspects of daily life for Leon and his family then, in the 1930s, were different from daily life today?
4. Why might Leon have made negative comments about Miriam to Tsalig in Chapter 5?
5. In Chapter 2, readers learn that Hershel has changed from being stubborn and difficult to being considerate and responsible. Why might he have changed?
6. Which details in Chapter 1 reflect the fun and carefree aspects of Leon's childhood?
7. In Chapter 4, how did the Shabbat candles help the family?
8. Why might Jewish people in Narewka have trusted German soldiers when they entered Poland in 1939?
9. After reading the prologue, what difficulties do you predict that Leon Leyson, the author and narrator, might face?
10. In Chapter 3, how is Leon's father affected by his beating and imprisonment?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)