|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Leon born?
2. Why did the Leysons not have to face deportation?
(a) Their wealth.
(b) Their social status.
(c) Chanah's work permit.
(d) Moshe's work permit.
3. When did Leon's mother light the Shabbat candles?
(a) On Sunday mornings.
(b) On Tuesday afternoons.
(c) On Friday evenings.
(d) On Saturday evenings.
4. Who were the Gestapo?
(a) Regional Nazi administrators.
(b) The German secret police.
(c) Polish security guards.
(d) Local Polish politicians.
5. In Chapter 1, which of the following had the most influence in Leon's daily life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which trait did Leon share with his new friends in Krakow in Chapter 2?
2. How did Leon's mother, Chanah, obtain food for her family after Moshe was taken away?
3. What kind of school did Leon attend?
4. Why did Hershel's family, his parents and siblings, not see him much when they lived in Krakow?
5. How many synagogues were located in Krakow when Leon moved there?
Short Essay Questions
1. After reading the prologue, what difficulties do you predict that Leon Leyson, the author and narrator, might face?
2. Why might Leon have made negative comments about Miriam to Tsalig in Chapter 5?
3. Which details in Chapter 1 reflect the fun and carefree aspects of Leon's childhood?
4. In Chapter 1, in what ways is it apparent that religion played a central role in Leon Leyson's life?
5. What does it say about Tsalig in Chapter 5 that he refuses to get off the train to deport him because Miriam cannot also go with Schindler?
6. In Chapter 3, what does it indicate about Leon that he chases down and confronts one of the the Gestapo who beat up his father, asking where they had taken him?
7. In Chapter 5, what did Mr. Luftig's pipe collection symbolize to him?
8. In Chapter 2, why might Leon have felt more nervous excitement than fear while his family and community made emergency plans and preparations for the possibility of war?
9. In Chapter 1, like many other Jews in Narewka, how was Leon treated during Holy Week?
10. In Chapter 2, why might Leon's parents have downplayed the severity of events that were happening, particularly those against Jewish people?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)