|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mr. Luftig leave behind for Leon in Chapter 4?
(a) His silverware.
(b) His book collection.
(c) His thermos.
(d) His tobacco.
2. What became a preoccupation for Leon?
3. Which family member verbalized his or her worries the most?
4. Why did Leon's father and Hershel head back to Narewka?
(a) They went to retrieve items the family had left there.
(b) They went because they were required to do so.
(c) They went to earn more money for the family.
(d) They went to try to avoid being conscripted into the war.
5. In Chapter 2, what did Leon decide was the greatest invention?
(a) Indoor plumbing.
(d) The lightbulb.
6. Who were the Gestapo?
(a) Polish security guards.
(b) Local Polish politicians.
(c) The German secret police.
(d) Regional Nazi administrators.
7. How did Leon's mother, Chanah, obtain food for her family after Moshe was taken away?
(a) She grew and harvested the food they needed.
(b) She received help from other nearby Jewish families.
(c) She traded the 10 gold coins her mother had given her.
(d) She worked at a factory.
8. What was the name of the Nazi business owner who hired Leon's father?
(a) Rudolph Luftig.
(b) Oskar Schindler.
(c) George Lansman.
(d) Oskar Schuncke.
9. Why was Tsalig deported in Chapter 4?
(a) He did not show up as required.
(b) He did not have a job.
(c) He refused to answer the Nazis' questions.
(d) He did not have a Blauschein.
10. How was Leon singled out by his fourth-grade teacher one day?
(a) He addressed Leon as "little Moses," which was an insult intended for Jewish boys.
(b) He was praised for his singing voice, which was extraordinary.
(c) He was praised for his artwork.
(d) He was reprimanded for not reciting the Polish pledge of allegiance properly.
11. What kind of school did Leon attend?
(a) Mathetmatics school.
(b) Secret Hebrew school.
(c) Secret Christian school.
(d) Toolmaking school.
12. In the prologue, why is Leon Leyson, the author and narrator, nervous?
(a) He is concerned about his economic situation.
(b) He is worried about World War II beginning.
(c) He is afraid that Oskar Schindler will not remember him.
(d) He is scared about mistakes he has made in the past.
13. After the Germans first invaded in 1939, which country was most likely to help Poland defeat the Germans?
14. Why did Leon not try to save Tsalig?
(a) He was afraid they would discover that his father did not have a work permit.
(b) He knew he would be endangering his whole family if he did.
(c) He was afraid his family would have to relocate to another apartment if he did.
(d) He was worried that his family members would lose their jobs if he did.
15. Before 1939, what was the war that lasted from 1914-1918 called?
(a) The German-Polish War.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Great War.
(d) World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Leon's father sought after by many factory owners in Krakow?
2. According to the prologue, how did Leon Leyson reach the controls of the machine he was supposed to operate in Schindler's factory?
3. How did the Nazis announce what they considered to be their successes?
4. In what kind of factory did Leon's father work in Chapter 2?
5. How did Moshe Leyson get a new job at a factory owned by a Nazi in Chapter 3?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)