|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Schindler name his factory "German Enamel Works"?
(a) To carry on a family tradition.
(b) To follow the law about naming a business.
(c) To make sure it was not confused with another local enamel business.
(d) To appeal to German army contractors.
2. When did Germans show up in Krakow after having invaded Poland?
(a) September 6, 1939.
(b) September 1, 1939.
(c) October 13, 1942.
(d) August 11, 1945.
3. Who were the Gestapo?
(a) Local Polish politicians.
(b) Polish security guards.
(c) The German secret police.
(d) Regional Nazi administrators.
4. Why was Leon's father sought after by many factory owners in Krakow?
(a) He was a skilled painter of murals.
(b) He was an expert electrician.
(c) He was an expert supervisor.
(d) He was an expert machinist.
5. How many Jews from Krakow were to be moved to the ghetto in Chapter 4?
(d) over 50,000.
6. In which of the following fun childhood activities did Leon participate in Chapter 1?
(a) Playing basketball.
(b) Riding a bicycle.
(c) Playing baseball.
(d) Jumping in the river.
7. When did Leon's mother light the Shabbat candles?
(a) On Saturday evenings.
(b) On Friday evenings.
(c) On Sunday mornings.
(d) On Tuesday afternoons.
8. Why did Moshe move to Krakow?
(a) To provide for his family.
(b) To find a new job.
(c) To leave his wife.
(d) To escape persecution.
9. Why did the Nazi soldiers break into the Leyson family's apartment and slap Leon?
(a) He had refused to speak to one of them.
(b) He had disobeyed an order from one of them.
(c) They found out he was Jewish.
(d) They noticed that he was not wearing his required armband.
10. What is foreshadowed by the Yiddish song "Oyfn Pripetchik" (called "On the Hearth" in English)?
(a) The forthcoming mistreatment of Jews.
(b) The family's religious rituals.
(c) The upcoming Thanksgiving season.
(d) The war lasting from 1914-1918.
11. Why did Leon's friends start ignoring him?
(a) He had started ignoring them.
(b) He was Christian.
(c) He was Jewish.
(d) He had been rude to them.
12. In Chapter 4, what was rumored to be happening to those who were deported?
(a) They were forced to do labor.
(b) They were set free.
(c) They were taken to better conditions.
(d) They were being killed.
13. Where was Leon born?
14. What ominous sign happened on September 1, 1939?
(a) The United States invaded Poland.
(b) Germany invaded and attacked Poland.
(c) Poland announced that it was changing its government.
(d) Poland invaded Germany.
15. Why did Leon's mother's siblings move to the United States?
(a) To escape violence within their family.
(b) To return to their family's cultural roots.
(c) To seek careers in the entertainment industry.
(d) To escape religious persecution.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Leon's mother, Chanah, obtain food for her family after Moshe was taken away?
2. How did Tsalig learn about electricity and its installation?
3. Where was the Leyson family's new home in the ghetto located?
4. Why did Leon not try to save Tsalig?
5. What was the dominant religion in Poland?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)