|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the dominant religion in Poland?
(b) Roman Catholicism.
2. Why was Tsalig deported in Chapter 4?
(a) He refused to answer the Nazis' questions.
(b) He did not have a Blauschein.
(c) He did not have a job.
(d) He did not show up as required.
3. Where was the Leyson family's new home in the ghetto located?
(a) A building at Lwowska 13.
(b) A building at Lwowska 19.
(c) A building at Lwowska 18.
(d) A building at Lwowska 10.
4. Who did Leon stand next to in the synagogue every Friday night and Saturday morning?
(a) Mr. Lansman.
(c) His great-grandfather.
(d) Jacob Meyer.
5. What did Mr. Luftig leave behind for Leon in Chapter 4?
(a) His tobacco.
(b) His book collection.
(c) His thermos.
(d) His silverware.
6. What was the short name for Schindler's factory?
(a) Enamel Contractors.
7. What was the name of the Nazi business owner who hired Leon's father?
(a) Oskar Schindler.
(b) Oskar Schuncke.
(c) Rudolph Luftig.
(d) George Lansman.
8. Which moments does Leon say are the worst of his life?
(a) Learning that Germany had invaded Poland.
(b) Watching his father getting beaten and taken away by the Gestapo.
(c) Seeing the Poles ransack the apartment of their Jewish neighbor who had fled.
(d) Being ignored by his former friends.
9. What did Leon get to operate in Chapter 4 after he cleaned it for a man who owned it?
(a) A tractor.
(b) A bike.
(c) A car.
(d) A truck.
10. Why did Leon's father work for free in Chapter 3?
(a) He was required to work, even though he was not paid.
(b) The work enabled him to gain experience to open his own business.
(c) He did this in exchange for housing and food.
(d) He did it in order to have some protection against the Nazis.
11. Which family member verbalized his or her worries the most?
12. Which group did Hitler blame publicly for Germany's problems?
13. Which word best describes Tsalig?
14. What is foreshadowed by the Yiddish song "Oyfn Pripetchik" (called "On the Hearth" in English)?
(a) The war lasting from 1914-1918.
(b) The forthcoming mistreatment of Jews.
(c) The family's religious rituals.
(d) The upcoming Thanksgiving season.
15. What kind of work did Leon's mother do?
(a) She cooked and cleaned for another family.
(b) She cleaned offices for Jewish Council members and Nazis.
(c) She worked in an electrical plant.
(d) She worked in a brush factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nazis, Aryans were people with what characteristics?
2. In Chapter 2, what did Leon decide was the greatest invention?
3. During what part of the year were Jews in Narewka treated differently?
4. Why did Leon's grandfather, Jacob Meyer, lease farmland from the Eastern Orthodox Church?
5. Who were the Gestapo?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)