|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they arrive in Beijing and tail this suspect to his hotel, who do Webb and d'Anjou learn Joseph Wadsworth is?
2. While searching for the men smoking cigarettes in the woods, who does Webb recognize?
3. As McAllister and Webb review the situation before proceeding into the hospital, what does McAllister know he can do to help Webb in his need to confront Sheng?
4. What covers are Webb and McAllister using to arrive by helicopter at the hospital?
5. After Marie and Panov receive the news of Staples' murder, why does Conklin say he will not return to where they are hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the change in perspective the reader is shown in McAllister's character in Chapter 35.
2. What does Panov suggest to Marie and Webb before he leaves to go home and attend to patients?
3. In Chapter 36, why does Sheng suspect the situation is not being handled by a professional?
4. Why does d'Anjou bait Sheng to the point of his own execution on the night of the great blade?
5. Why does Webb not kill the impostor Bourne immediately?
6. Why does Conklin refuse to surrender Marie until the traitor is found?
7. What do Staples' actions in the Victoria Peak mansion suggest about her character?
8. What does Marie find strange about Staples' behavior as she awaits Catherine's return?
9. Contrast Webb's character as Bourne with the man who reunites with Marie at the end of Chapter 32.
10. Summarize McAllister's role in Webb's plan to confront Sheng.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marie is a strong character throughout most of the novel. How does the author depict her as strong and influential, while at the same time describing her with traditional feminine characteristics? How would you label Marie?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and explain the significance of one of the action scenes in the novel (e.g., Webb's chasing the impostor to the airfield, Marie's escaping from Yao Ming, etc.)
Part 1) Why did you select this scene, and how did this scene enhance the novel's sense of suspense?
Part 2) What was resolved or made more complicated by the scene?
Part 3) What significance does this scene have for Webb/Bourne?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Webb and McAllister.
Part 1) How are they alike? How are they different?
Part 2) How is knowledge from books different from knowledge from experience?
Part 3) How did Webb's and McAllister's characters portray this difference?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)