|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does McAllister receive in the opening scene of Chapter 14?
(a) David Webb has arrived in Macau.
(b) Marie's condition has worsened.
(c) Marie has escaped from the hospital.
(d) Havilland is coming to see him.
2. After leaving the Canadian consulate in Hong Kong, where do Marie and Catherine Staples go?
(a) For a drive around the city.
(b) Staples' home.
(c) A museum.
(d) A restaurant.
3. After the attack in the cabaret, who do the police discover is one of the victims?
(a) The Secretary of the People's Republic.
(b) The Vice-Premier of the People's Republic .
(c) Third in line to succeed the Chairman.
(d) Prime Minster of the People's Republic.
4. To where does the cabaret assassin flee?
5. What does the calligraphy on the green van read?
(a) Chesapeake Bird Sanctuary.
(b) Hong Kong Animal Rescue.
(c) Macau Bird Sanctuary.
(d) Chutang Bird Sanctuary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is at the hospital conversing with the doctor and returns to the room after learning Marie has escaped?
2. Where does Webb meet the third contact in Chapter 13?
3. After being dragged into the woods, how does the third contact feel about his fate with Webb?
4. In which hotel does Webb reserve a second room?
5. In Chapter 2, for which of the following does the CIA believe Beijing will blame the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marie find strange about Staples' behavior as she awaits Catherine's return?
2. What does Panov suggest to Marie and Webb before he leaves to go home and attend to patients?
3. What clue from Marie's story does McAllister discover from the Treadstone-71 file?
4. By the end of Chapter 13, how has Webb's character changed from the beginning of the novel?
5. What does Webb learn from the contact Jiang Yu at the beginning of Chapter 13?
6. Why might Webb want to find out about Medusa after his wife first disappears?
7. What is the significance of the meeting between Webb, all the men, and Marie at the opening of Chapter 33?
8. What is revealed at the opening of Chapter 11 through the meeting with the large Asian?
9. Summarize the interaction between Nelson and Staples at their meeting at the opening of Chapter 17.
10. What is the importance of the meeting between Webb and McAllister in Chapter 3?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)