|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of the opening of Chapter 13?
(a) Torrential rain, Repulse Bay.
(b) Heavy winds, Peninsula Hotel.
(c) Heavy rain, Victoria Peak.
(d) Light rain, Victoria Harbor.
2. Which of the following characters is an Orient Specialist working for the U.S. State Department?
(a) John Reilly.
(b) Raymond Havilland.
(c) Edward McAllister.
(d) John Webb.
3. In addition to being the Foreign Service Officer, who is Alexander Conklin?
(a) Webb's enemy.
(b) The Medusa Foreign Officer.
(c) Webb's friend.
(d) The operator for Treadstone-71.
4. While still under cover of the woods, where does the third contact tell Webb the impostor Bourne is?
(a) In Victoria Peak.
(b) In Macau.
(c) In Shenzen.
(d) In Russia.
5. After learning his guards are leaving, which of the following is not found by Webb when he arrives home?
(a) A discharged gun.
(b) A shotgun ambush.
(c) A ransom note.
(d) A bloody handprint.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the term Zhongguo ren refer?
2. What does McAllister learn from Lin about Marie's physical status?
3. In Chapter 4, how does Webb feel when he discovers that his six protection guards are leaving?
4. When Webb receives Marie's note after his run how does he react?
5. After being dragged into the woods, how does the third contact feel about his fate with Webb?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of the meeting between Webb and McAllister in Chapter 3?
2. How does Webb use his skills to "arrange" a meeting with the impostor Bourne?
3. How does Webb utilize the Assistant Manager and clerk at the hotel?
4. Summarize the situation in Macau that is revealed to Webb in Chapter 3.
5. What does Webb learn about the city of Macau from various characters in Chapter 13?
6. Discuss Webb's preparations for his trip to Hong Kong.
7. What might the narrow hallways and inner offices throughout the first two chapters symbolize?
8. By the end of Chapter 13, how has Webb's character changed from the beginning of the novel?
9. Describe Webb's state of mind when he returns home and finds the ransom note.
10. What is the "big picture" purpose of the assassination in Chapter 1?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)