|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vittorio notice about Patrick's face?
2. What hits Freda on the cheek as she walks through the woods?
3. What has not arrived when Freda and Brenda arrive at the factory?
4. Who is driving the red Mini?
5. Which of the following things do the men in the Mini NOT do as they wait?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who finally admits to killing Freda and how do the others respond?
2. How does the author illustrate the class difference between the Italian men and the others in the group?
3. What does Patrick explain to Brenda regarding his culpability for Freda's murder?
4. What does the group do with Freda's body and what are Brenda's continuing thoughts about her dead friend?
5. How does the group immediately respond to Freda's death?
6. How does Freda torment Brenda and what does the behavior remind Brenda of?
7. Describe the setting for the picnic at the castle.
8. What romantic thoughts does Freda have at the castle regarding Vittorio?
9. What is the significance of the group's not telling Mr. Paganotti about Freda's death?
10. What information does Rossi give Brenda regarding Freda's manipulative behavior in the days prior to her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the poor workers in the mid-1970s when the men in the story are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 2
Bainbridge is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique that they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Rossi. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)