|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freda lashes out at Brenda with a nasty comment about __________________.
2. Why is Freda excited about visiting Windsor Castle?
3. What color are the horses exercising in the park?
4. Where does Brenda sleep on the night Freda is killed?
5. What happens to the people who can't fit into the two cars?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing when Brenda tells the neighbor that Freda has taken a trip to Spain?
2. What is the nature of the argument between Rossi and Vittorio?
3. Describe Freda's experience as she walks into the woods.
4. How has the author brought the book full circle from how it began?
5. What does Patrick explain to Brenda regarding his culpability for Freda's murder?
6. Describe the setting for the picnic at the castle.
7. What is the distressing situation regarding the van for the outing?
8. How does the author illustrate the class difference between the Italian men and the others in the group?
9. What romantic thoughts does Freda have at the castle regarding Vittorio?
10. How does Brenda discover Freda's dead body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the Queen's funeral horses. What do the horses symbolize for Freda? What do they mean for group at large? What does it mean that Vittorio seems happy to see Freda on one of the horses? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Bainbridge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Brenda and Freda. What are their roles within the story? Why is there a kinship between the two? Why is there some animosity between them as well? Explain.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)