|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peruvian legend has it that _____ are associated with the discovery of quinine through eating the bark of the cinchona tree.
2. ____________ were the ones who seized land from the Irish, causing them to have meager plots of arable land on which to grow.
3. When Pollan opened up the package to grow the NewLeaf potatoes, the card stated that he was now ________ to grow the potatoes.
4. What needs to be kept artificially high in the clean rooms in order to keep other microbes out?
5. An industrial farmer needs to buy an expensive amount of __________, like chemical fertilizers, machinery, fuel, and pesticides.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the status of marijuana use and growing in Amsterdam, according to Pollan in his book?
2. What might have happened if the police chief had seen the marijuana plant in Pollan's backyard?
3. What causes the Great Potato Famine and the many deaths over the area of Europe?
4. How does Heath avoid the purchases of many inputs on his farm so that he can save money?
5. What are some of the possible genetically modified food advances people might see in the future, according to Pollan?
6. What are the various ingredients which might be used in witches' spells?
7. Why are cats so drawn to catnip, according to the research that Pollan does after seeing how his cat response to using this herb?
8. What happens to the animal in the wild who decides to eat hallucinogens and thus takes in the toxins of these plants?
9. What is the most important thing to an animal's survival, according to the discussion of plants?
10. What parts of the marijuana plant are supposed to be smoked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story includes the idea that Johnny Appleseed spread the seeds of apples all over America, although no proof is given.
Part 1: Does it seem plausible that one man could have spread all of the apple seeds in the country?
Part 2: What do you think Johnny's motivations for spreading the seed might have been?
Part 3: Why is this story so nostalgic to those who live in America?
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Pollan points out that the tulip offers no nutritional value, while the fruit and the seeds provide sustenance.
Part 1: Why do you think Pollan included such a contradiction in this book?
Part 2: Do you think that Pollan's contradiction causes his book to be less valuable to a reader?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible to create a book without contradicting one's self?
Essay Topic 3
Pollan's main idea is that plants have shaped human evolution just as much as humans have shaped plant evolution.
Part 1: In what ways do you think plants have helped to shape human evolution?
Part 2: In what ways do you think humans have helped to shape plant evolution?
Part 3: Do you think humans or plants are responsible for more change for the other species? Why?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)